Muslim Frenchwoman 'fined for veil on Cannes beach'

webfact

Muslim Frenchwoman 'fined for veil on Cannes beach'

CANNES: -- A Muslim Frenchwoman says she was fined and faced racial abuse for wearing a hair-covering veil on a Cannes beach.

The woman, a Toulouse native named only as Siam, was strolling on the beach while on holiday with her two children.

She said she was told by three police officers that her clothing was "not correct". Meanwhile, she says, a crowd gathered, some shouting: "Go home!"

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37168192

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-08-24

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A racial post and replies to it has been removed.

This is the forum rule it violated any further such posts will result in a formal warning.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

33 minutes ago, Sphere said:

ThaiVisa posters do show up anywhere, unexpectedly, it seems.

This should be a matter for the police to deal with not bystanders, but I think we can all take a wild stab at why the alleged reaction of bystanders was hostile. I'm n such a climate wearing a veil on a public beach could be construed as being deliberately provocative.

18 minutes ago, Steely Dan said:

This should be a matter for the police to deal with not bystanders, but I think we can all take a wild stab at why the alleged reaction of bystanders was hostile. I'm n such a climate wearing a veil on a public beach could be construed as being deliberately provocative.

" I'm n such a climate wearing a veil on a public beach could be construed as being deliberately provocative"

Only to ignorant peons.

10 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

" I'm n such a climate wearing a veil on a public beach could be construed as being deliberately provocative"

Only to ignorant peons.

I guess the law prohibiting veils in a public place was also passed by ignorant peons, though ignorance is just a one way street not applying to the woman in question who displayed either ignorance of the law or contempt for it.

37 minutes ago, Steely Dan said:

I guess the law prohibiting veils in a public place was also passed by ignorant peons, though ignorance is just a one way street not applying to the woman in question who displayed either ignorance of the law or contempt for it.

Of course and contempt for it hopefully.

1 minute ago, koolkarl said:

If a western woman went to a muslim country, I understand that she must cover her head to

conform to their customs.  Why should western countries change their customs to please muslims?

"If a western woman went to a muslim country, I understand that she must cover her head to

conform to their customs"

Some, but not all by a long chalk.

We are seeing now the first effects of demagogic measures to ban clothing. Hate racists who are the dregs of French society now feel entitled to express their thoughts grime.

The following promises to be explosive...

12 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

If a western woman went to a muslim country, I understand that she must cover her head to

conform to their customs.  Why should western countries change their customs to please muslims?

I worked in Dammam, Saudi for an oil company.  If any female employee who were all placed in Dubai came visiting??  They were given a hard time by immigration, hotel staff etc, so company flats where purchased.  They needed to have male employees nearby at most times.  

So Western women had to abide by local laws and customs.  Then DITTO for non, Christian women coming to Europe

7 minutes ago, tmd5855 said:

I worked in Dammam, Saudi for an oil company.  If any female employee who were all placed in Dubai came visiting??  They were given a hard time by immigration, hotel staff etc, so company flats where purchased.  They needed to have male employees nearby at most times.  

So Western women had to abide by local laws and customs.  Then DITTO for non, Christian women coming to Europe

So one example from the looniest country on the planet, good one.

8 minutes ago, tmd5855 said:

But I thought the West prided itself on being liberal with independent thinking,, free style as they say.

Or do you want us to be on the same intolerant level as the Saudis?

27 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

So when you see a trend prevails you must make it mandatory ?

Furthermore the argument that Muslims are intolerant in their countries no sense. These countries have no aura in our world. They are shunned by their inhabitants and generally rejected by all. Compare with Great Britain, France or Italy for example.

In last, we wait that the state protects us and he does wrong, especially in France. But we deny that we enacted a lifestyle and legislate to make it compulsory.

37 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

"If a western woman went to a muslim country, I understand that she must cover her head to

conform to their customs"

Some, but not all by a long chalk.

If you go to any country you must abide by their laws and hopefully have the sense to respect their cultural and behavior norms to.

The expectation that your own culture, religious or behavior must be tolerated and accommodated and is somehow superior went out with the colonialists.

44 minutes ago, happy Joe said:

We are seeing now the first effects of demagogic measures to ban clothing. Hate racists who are the dregs of French society now feel entitled to express their thoughts grime.

The following promises to be explosive...

I think we can take that as read. A few jeers and (alleged) shouts of go home in support of the police enforcing the law, as they still can outside the 750 or so Zones Urbaines Sensitive. When the police try the same thing in areas recognising only their own law the result is somewhat different.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/21/paris-riots-police-identity-check-muslim

So there's your equivalence, the likes of Merkel wears head covering visiting Islamic Countries, we hide the modesty of statues when Islamic rulers visit. Westerners tow the line regarding the law in Islamic Countries but you get riots and burnt out cars when western laws are attempted to be applied to Muslim populations if they are in numbers.

Elsewise you get the usual whining to the ever eager press who could do with a sob story to balance the latest decapitation or bombing.

Edited by Steely Dan
Spelling

Hello

First of all... this woman didn't have only a veil but it was a hikab.. Second thing, she was on the beach wearing leggings and a long "tunique".. So typical muslim clothes on a hot beach..

What attracts more the attention is that this lady was "officially" on holidays for a few days in Cannes.. As soon as she got the ticket she went straight to the press etc..

According to me, and I was sure this would be the result when they banned the burkini.. a lot of them will come on purpose on those beaches with this type of clothes..

All the attitude is the result of associations and individuals trying (and managing) slowly slowly but now the fastest they can to change the laws and the western way of life

In France that began by the veil, the burka, the fact they ask special menus at school, they want Xmas trees to be banned in schools, towns etc.. and so on...

2 weeks ago in Corsica 3 muslims family came to a small beach.. They kept the cars on the road on top and PUT ON THE ROAD a pannel forbidding people to circulate..

Some tourists taking snaps of the point of view from the road received stones, so did a couple of tourists who went for a swim as the lady wore a bikini, what those people didn't like.. They finally hit some french teens on the head with knives and machetes.. which led the parents to come and begin a fight with them.. and finally the police had to take those people out before they would be lynched... (the villagers burnt their 3 cars).. This is were we go now..

I tell you the exact fact which arrived... confirmed by the Court.. one of the muslims involved is in jailed till the trial is taken mid september  (3 muslims and 2 villagers will have to appear)

Sorry, I am european, we supposingly have equality of rights with men.. I don't want some people to go back to 13th century laws and behaviour..

On top of it, don't think all girls who wear that stuff agree to it.. but they are harassed to wear it, mainly if the live in suburbs, they have no choice.

Have a nice day..

1 hour ago, koolkarl said:

Not true for many Muslim countries in the ME and Asia.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

But I thought the West prided itself on being liberal with independent thinking,, free style as they say.

Yes, when it comes to hiding faces from CCTV surveillance cameras. Veil-recognition software is a bit in the future.

Edited by MaxYakov

The hijab and the advancing in female covering to the point of being a burqa... is Islamic subjugation of women - PERIOD... Leftists and Liberals would not tolerate any such behavior if the Christian Religion forced women to wear something akin to the hijab.  The Leftist Media would go berzerk damning the Christians...

In the over all - women in Muslim societies around the world - few have the option to not wear the hijab.  It a Mullah in one Islamic country issued a fatwa declaring that women were not required to wear the hijab .. .in a year's time (should such an fantasy fatwa stand) the majority of women would take it off.   The requirement of wearing of the hijab is not found in the Quran .  Rather it is found in the ever increasing male domination and subjugation of women in Islamic societies -  without any foundation in the Quran.   

The French Government feels much the same as I write and moreover see that the forced wearing of the hijab is used as a symbol of the dominance of Islam over all other peoples and governments... 

Thus such symbols of Islamic dominance must be struck down in Western Societies ... 

3 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

The hijab and the advancing in female covering to the point of being a burqa... is Islamic subjugation of women - PERIOD... Leftists and Liberals would not tolerate any such behavior if the Christian Religion forced women to wear something akin to the hijab.  The Leftist Media would go berzerk damning the Christians...

In the over all - women in Muslim societies around the world - few have the option to not wear the hijab.  It a Mullah in one Islamic country issued a fatwa declaring that women were not required to wear the hijab .. .in a year's time (should such an fantasy fatwa stand) the majority of women would take it off.   The requirement of wearing of the hijab is not found in the Quran .  Rather it is found in the ever increasing male domination and subjugation of women in Islamic societies -  without any foundation in the Quran.   

The French Government feels much the same as I write and moreover see that the forced wearing of the hijab is used as a symbol of the dominance of Islam over all other peoples and governments... 

Thus such symbols of Islamic dominance must be struck down in Western Societies ... 

Excellent post. Thank you.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

What's intolerant about an identity check on someone who flouts the law?

Edited by sambum
Text change

If veil is banned then 

Nuns on beach

Veil is not banned in France : Burqa is because it hides the WHOLE face...Burkini "news" is nothing more than just a stupid thing coming now, why? ...maybe to focus the French on this instead of more important topics...

If a woman wants to wear a swim suit (not a bikini) with a swim cap then you have a home made "burkini"

There has been a warning ( april 2016)  - so called  "on behalf "of the people of Corsica  ( an island southern of France) - to muslims living in Corsica .

This warning was not issued by the french authorities, but what it says reflects how the level of exasperation has grown. 

( For your information, you can replace " Muslims" by " French from the mainland"  )

Find below the translation ( Google..) of this declaration:   -    ( Avertissement du peuple Corse aux musulmans)

"YOU ARE MUSLIMS SO READ THIS

Corsica will not bend to your demands

Corsica immigrants must integrate. Follow the example of your grandparents who have, in their time, blend in French society without abandoning their identity while respecting that of their host country.- It is intolerable that children and grandchildren of immigrants yesterday are not or do not want to adapt, influenced by Islamic tracks from elsewhere pushing to impose gradually the laws of sharia, WE DO NOT ACCEPT THAT iN CORSICA!

We will not, as it is the case in some suburbs, let lawless areas.

The people of our island will be especially vigilant regarding all forms of slippage that exasperate the French society.

You who are Muslims, do not forget that if you are on French territory is to benefit from economic and social benefits that do not exist in your country.

So remember that your descendants who claim Islam in Corsica and dress more and more covered ,  by provocation.

We will not accept  to see these girls and young women, more and more numerous, dressed this way  invade our public spaces so.

We know, the scarf is the first step towards the full veil. This is slowly turning from a symbol of Islam into a destabilizing tool of French society and particularly in schools.
 Just like we do, do melt 
in the mass.

MUSLIMS *

We strongly advise you to follow our rules.

Here, this is our country, our land, our lifestyle you enjoy without always respect them.

Corsica will not bend to your demands or else those who persist will be forced to return to their country of origin or that of their ancestors.

We ask you to transmit and circulate this letter to all your relatives and close associates in insisting that we are more and more determined.  " 

Edited by Opl