Downloading from printer and smartphone

I'm finding it impossible to download scans from my printer, or 'photos from my 'phone.

At first I thought it was 'cos I'm IT illiterate, but a Thai I know tried to do so and although she was whizzing around the laptop/tablet and 'phone - she couldn't work it out either....

My 'phone is a Samsung Galaxy 6 and the laptop is an HP Pavillion, the printer is an HP Deskjet 2515.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm thinking it may be a problem with my laptop.

I first attached the printer (HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515) to the laptop and then scanned a document - expecting a new icon to appear on the laptop re. the scanned document.  This didn't happen, so I then checked 'Downloads', nothing there.  Odd, as it worked before (a long time ago though, and perhaps I had a PC then rather than the relatively new laptop).

I then tried taking a 'photo of the document with my 'phone, and transferring the 'photo to my laptop.  This didn't work either as connecting the 'phone and laptop, we were unable to find a way to download the 'photos.

Odd again - as recently I had the same problem trying to download 'photos and gave up until the Thai employee came to my house a few days later.  Typically, the Thai connected 'phone to laptop and (from memory), 'photos either immediately downloaded or an icon appeared with the download option......

Unfortunately, this didn't happen yesterday - and we were both left scratching our heads.

Its probably a problem with the bloody laptop :angry:.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You say you attached the printer to computer - did you install the software or allow Windows to download and install software?  

Possibly not as its v likely the software was downloaded to my old PC.

I'll have to see if I can find the printer software disc?

Edited by dick dasterdly

You can download software online - but be careful to do so from an official or safe site.  If using current Windows it would normally try to find and install something that works - but really better to use specific software from printer maker.

This should be a safe site to download from

Change to below as this is an official site - not sure about previous.

http://support.hp.com/hr-en/product/HP-Deskjet-Ink-Advantage-2510-All-in-One-Printer-series/5165417/model/5165418/drivers

Edited by lopburi3

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You can download software online - but be careful to do so from an official or safe site.  If using current Windows it would normally try to find and install something that works - but really better to use specific software from printer maker.

This should be a safe site to download from

Change to below as this is an official site - not sure about previous.

http://support.hp.com/hr-en/product/HP-Deskjet-Ink-Advantage-2510-All-in-One-Printer-series/5165417/model/5165418/drivers

I found the printer software disc (or at least I think so, it said HP Deskjet 2510 rather than 2515), put it in the laptop and it seemed to be downloading - but when it came close to the end  the onscreen 'bar' stayed at the same point, whilst still showing the 'doing something' circle....

Can't thank you enough for your help, but I've come to the conclusion that my best option is to see whether my old PC can be repaired.  It was v easy to use (unlike this laptop), I know the printer software works on the PC and hopefully they can add whatever software is needed for my 'phone too.

The laptop won't go to waste, as I can use it when sitting on the patio - whilst having an indoors PC for downloading etc.

Edited by dick dasterdly