Internet Security Suite

crockett

Hi,

I am currently running Zonealarm Pro, Spy Sweeper and Kaspersky Antivirus as

security applications. With every new version, these programs become more and

more complex and increasingly interfere with each other by blocking each others activities.

I know it is a matter of proper configuration but who wants to read manuals which

are 200 pages ore more? :o Now, I am thinking to switch to a all-in-one suite

to avoid these hassles.

I have read quite a number of reviews about these suites, which often have conflicting

information (maybe a matter of who sponsors most :D ) about which one is the best value

for money. Finally, I narrowed it down to Bitdefender, Zonelabs and Kaspersky but would like

to hear some other opinions on this. I don't like Norton and McAfee -although they have mostly

good reviews- but for me they are far to heavy on the memory.

What do you think?

cheers,

crockett

I have found this site to be very good when looking to buy just about anything. They do not review the products, but review the reviewers and give the best results from whom they think did the best reviews. Just click on Internet Security Software under Software Reviews to see what they have to say.

http://www.consumersearch.com/index.html

I use the Zone Alarm Security Suite and am very happy with it.

I actually use the free version of Zonealarm even though I have a Pro licence just because the pro was trying to do too much and hogging alot of resources.

Suites tend to be resource hogs even when compared to running multiple seperate programs. I suggest not putting all your eggs in one Basket. Another problem is that while the maker of the suite may rock at finding viruses, they could suck at making firewalls, or spyware detectors, so there's always a compromise with suites.

Zonealarm is a fine firewall, but the free version is enough and it uses fewer resources. One that seems to be getting rave reviews is Sunbelt Software's Kerio Firewall ($20).

Bitdefender is a great antivirus, as is Kaspersky. Personally, I use nod32 as its got the best hueristics in the business, and it uses so few resources you hardly know it's there. Bitdefender isn't too bad at resource use either. Kaspersky doesn't use heuristics (detecting virus-like behaviour), it only compares files against virus definitions. It's definition file though is probably the fastest updated in the industry.

Antispyware programs I suggest are Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender. The paid antispyware programs now have little advantage over the freebies. Defender works in real-time like the paid AS programs and is probably the best of the lot. I Have four AS programs which makes sure the bases get covered. (Don't have more than one antivirus running though)

Edited by cdnvic

Why not use ZoneAlarm Security Suite?

ZoneAlarm Internet Security suite, all-in-one suite is a tightly integrated set of advanced security layers that, together, create the most secure protection in the industry. Uniquely engineered to prevent threats from getting on a PC in the first place, it has won more major awards than any other security software on the market. The suite combines the robust security features computer experts demand with automatic functions that make it simple enough for novices to use.

It includes a Network and Program Firewall, Operating System Firewall (OSFirewall™), Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Identity Theft Protection, Spy Site Blocking, Privacy Protection, Anti-Spam & Anti-Phishing, IM Protection, Game Mode, Essential Email Security and Wireless PC Protection

Cost only US$ 49.95

Thanks for your replies guys.

cdnvic: Previously -same as you- I was using only freeware for everything,

which maybe fine to a certain extent, but I still believe that commercial

software is somewhat better than free programs. You pay nothing, you get nothing.

With today's nasty stuff like rootkits, etc. out there, I think buying a commercial

software in worth the money.

higgy88: Good resource, thanks

richard: ZoneAlarm is high on my list but I'm still somewhat undecided between

ZA and Bitdefender.

cdnvic: Previously -same as you- I was using only freeware for everything,

which maybe fine to a certain extent, but I still believe that commercial

software is somewhat better than free programs. You pay nothing, you get nothing.

With today's nasty stuff like rootkits, etc. out there, I think buying a commercial

software in worth the money.

While some paid items, particularly antivirus can be better quality, test results should always trump cost when judging what works. There's alot of pricy items out there that are overpriced, or just plain worthless who would like you to believe that money equals protection.

Edited by cdnvic

I'll second Richard-BKK. Haven't used anything but ZoneAlarm Internet Security suite for years. Never had a problem with any virus, spyware or unwanted executables. Through the last year I've been using it on those of the machines that aren't (yet) converted to Linux in my internet cafe. The only thing I've seen to malware is the long list of succesfully treated threats on the resultlist after the daily scan.