• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

2. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

3. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

4. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

5. 563

White Culture

6. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

7. 86

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

8. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

9. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

10. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

11. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

12. 125

Trump chickens out again.

13. 68

14. 68

Misleading headline sends police on a mad scramble for explosives across the island

snoop1130

Misleading headline sends police on a mad scramble for explosives across the island

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2016825171016109_svaKjPWLKCYSydEFprJHCqtRKUtjzYNsTnCDDZOO_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- Provincial police are seeking to reassure residents of their safety after a popular Thai-language newspaper claimed that there were more than 30 bombs placed across the province on Tuesday.

The front-page claim caused public panic as police scrambled to check possible bomb drops in hot spots around Phuket.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teerapol Thipjaroen confirmed with the Phuket Gazette this morning that there are no additional reports of bombs being found in Phuket. However, he is encouraging the island’s residents to report any suspicious activity. 

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Misleading-headline-sends-police-a-mad-scramble/65448?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-25

A year ago, Coconuts reported that the then Police Chief Somyot Poompanmoung went straight to the beating heart of Bangkok’s lucrative tourism industry and made an well-known announcement to reassure nervous tourists after Thailand’s worst terrorist attack in memory. http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/26/we-deserve-better-thai-polices-bumbling-bombing-investigation

Now we have Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teerapol Thipjaroen once again reassuring us that the local cops "...will do our best to keep Phuket secured, and ...urge the public not to panic..."

Maybe, like Somyot, Teerapol is in need of a more appropriate backdrop to reinforce his message?

suckers.jpg

Edited by waldroj
Problem with double photos (again)!

No explanation as to what caused a popular newspaper to print such a story,      what or who were their sources,   if any,   that the story was based on   ?   It appears the paper printed the story without bothering to alert the BIB of a potentially deadly situation.

This aspect cannot be ignored and while I'm all for a free press it has to be a responsible one too.

Great to know the source of "intelligence" for the RTP.  :blink:

Popular journalism is about being sparse with the truth and speculative and designed to sell a media so they can attract more advertisers.

I always thought that the first casualty of war was the truth but it seems it can be applied in peacetime as well.

17 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Every news headline seems misleading ...

I am trying to picture in my head the BIB doing a "mad scramble" but I just cannot conjure up the image. I do get an image of the police getting an arrest warrant and "asking" a POI to report to police headquarters. I can see the silver tray piled high with 1000 baht notes but not much else. 

16 hours ago, waldroj said:

A year ago, Coconuts reported that the then Police Chief Somyot Poompanmoung went straight to the beating heart of Bangkok’s lucrative tourism industry and made an well-known announcement to reassure nervous tourists after Thailand’s worst terrorist attack in memory. http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/26/we-deserve-better-thai-polices-bumbling-bombing-investigation

Now we have Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teerapol Thipjaroen once again reassuring us that the local cops "...will do our best to keep Phuket secured, and ...urge the public not to panic..."

Maybe, like Somyot, Teerapol is in need of a more appropriate backdrop to reinforce his message?

suckers.jpg

To keep me safe I need to see the police in a visible manner. The last one no two I saw were 3 days ago on a motorbike.