Putin attacks ‘immoral, inhumane’ ban on Russia from Paralympics

webfact

Putin attacks ‘immoral, inhumane’ ban on Russia from Paralympics

606x341_342236.jpg

MOSCOW: -- The Russian president has strongly attacked the ban on the country’s Paralympic team from competing in Rio next month.

Vladimir Putin acknowledged mistakes made in tackling sports doping and was striving to improve its anti-doping structures “in the most transparent way”.

But he alleged political pressure had led international anti-doping organisations to single out Russia for harsh treatment.

The entire Russian Paralympic team was barred on August 7 over the same doping allegations that saw a third of the country’s competitors excluded from this month’s Olympic Games that ended last weekend.

International Paralympic Committee president condemned a “medals over morals” culture with evidence of state-sponsored doping.

On Tuesday this week the Court of Arbitration for Sport rejected Russia’s appeal.

“The decision to disqualify our Paralympians is outside the bounds of law, morality and humanity. It is simply cynical to punish those for whom sport became the reason for being, those who by their own example give hope and self-belief to billions of people with disabilities,” Vladimir Putin said during an awards ceremony at the Kremlin for Olympic athletes.

Putin said special competitions would be organised in Russia for banned Paralympic athletes, with winners getting the same prizes they would have had from success in Rio.

In this month’s Games Russia’s team was reduced to a single athlete in track and field and banned entirely from weightlifting. Russia came fourth in the medal count with 56 medals, 19 of them gold.

World Anti-Doping Agency investigations detailed widespread doping and accusations that senior sports ministry officials covered up hundreds of doping cases.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-26

The decision to disqualify our Paralympians is outside the bounds of law, morality and humanity.

The decision to give your athletes drugs, and then cover it up with help from the FSB, is outside the bounds of law, morality and humanity.

You reap what you sow.

1 minute ago, GeorgesAbitbol said:

From many sources, the ban was done not only because of drugs, but also because of Politic, and I tend to believe there is a lot of politics involved in this ban...

Absolute rubbish.....the culture of drug use to enhance performances is ingrained in the Soviet Union  :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, GeorgesAbitbol said:

From many sources, the ban was done not only because of drugs, but also because of Politic, and I tend to believe there is a lot of politics involved in this ban...

So you are saying that state sponsored doping of athletes, state sponsored coverup, continued lies, etc are OK?  Not worthy of a ban?

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You do realise that the Soviet Union ceased to exist over a quarter of a century ago, don't you?

As a nation yes, but many of those in power now, were part of the SU back then.  So the same tactics are being used now.

39 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

As a nation yes, but many of those in power now, were part of the SU back then.  So the same tactics are being used now.

Of course - it is win/win for their leaders. If their athlestes are allowed to compete, the haul of medals brought back demonstrates the inherent superiority of the country; if they are barred, it is used to political advantage to show that they world is unfairly biased against them, hence the need for strong leadership.

15 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course - it is win/win for their leaders. If their athlestes are allowed to compete, the haul of medals brought back demonstrates the inherent superiority of the country; if they are barred, it is used to political advantage to show that they world is unfairly biased against them, hence the need for strong leadership.

And sadly, the athletes who've trained so hard are hurt in the process.  Typical with dictators...sadly...

29 minutes ago, Alive said:

Putin himself probably uses lots of drugs like amphetamines and steroids.

I don't like the guy, but what gives you the right to make such a statement about anybody?   - "probably" - on whose expert say so, ? yours?

“The decision to disqualify our Paralympians is outside the bounds of law, morality and humanity. It is simply cynical to punish those for whom sport became the reason for being, those who by their own example give hope and self-belief to billions of people with disabilities,” Vladimir Putin said during an awards ceremony at the Kremlin for Olympic athletes.

Politico speak

It seems we hear and have heard for decades the same Bull crap coming out of the mouths of politicians. The one I like the best is the latest comments on North Korea's lastest rocket test. 

Kim jung dung claims "These tests were an outstanding success and met all our criteria. Its the same wording as in past tests. We can now reach American soil and we will reduce them to ashes blah blah blah. 

China. We wish to keep the Korean peninsula a nuclear free zone (except for our pals in North Korea) I have heard this same statement about 20 times in the past few years.

The United States. We strongly condemn North Korea for this violation of the nuclear treaty and are urging an immediate meeting at the UN of the old boys club to further raise sanctions against North Korea (Kim Jung Dung thumbs his nose at this point)

My point being that over the decades I have listened to the same old same old tired rhetorical 

comments by the world leaders when something goes out of whack. Its like when crooked lawyers defend crooked clients and say "we will defend them vigorously" I guess I am just showing my advanced age showing my distaste for the same old tired non performing rhetoric. Yawn. 

6 hours ago, GeorgesAbitbol said:

Politics ?  The majority of decision makers in the IOC come from a large variety of nations (and their sport federations i.e. NOT politicians)

In Wikipedia one can read :

With the intermixing of sports and politics, the body was originally conceived by International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Juan Antonio Samaranch to deal with disputes arising during the Olympics. It was established as part of the IOC in 1984.

In 1994, a case decided by the CAS was appealed to the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland, challenging CAS impartiality. The Swiss court ruled that the CAS was a true court of arbitration but drew attention to the numerous links between the CAS and the IOC.

In response, the CAS underwent reforms to make itself more independent of the IOC, both organizationally and financially. The biggest change resulting from this reform was the creation of an "International Council of Arbitration for Sport" (ICAS) to look after the running and financing of the CAS, thereby taking the place of the IOC. As of 2004, most recent cases that were considered by the CAS dealt with transfer disputes within professional association football or with doping.

UNQUOTE

11 hours ago, webfact said:

“The decision to disqualify our Paralympians is outside the bounds of law, morality and humanity. It is simply cynical to punish those for whom sport became the reason for being, those who by their own example give hope and self-belief to billions of people with disabilities,”

Putin is right. To punish only those who had no choice but to comply with Russian authorities and Cabinet Ministers and continue with doping is a shame. But, Mr. Putin, being so self-righteous about this, go ahead and tell the world how exactly those officials and yourself, who ordered, authorized and administered the doping, should be punished exactly...

26 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Politics ?  The majority of decision makers in the IOC come from a large variety of nations (and their sport federations i.e. NOT politicians)

In Wikipedia one can read :

With the intermixing of sports and politics, the body was originally conceived by International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Juan Antonio Samaranch to deal with disputes arising during the Olympics. It was established as part of the IOC in 1984.

In 1994, a case decided by the CAS was appealed to the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland, challenging CAS impartiality. The Swiss court ruled that the CAS was a true court of arbitration but drew attention to the numerous links between the CAS and the IOC.

In response, the CAS underwent reforms to make itself more independent of the IOC, both organizationally and financially. The biggest change resulting from this reform was the creation of an "International Council of Arbitration for Sport" (ICAS) to look after the running and financing of the CAS, thereby taking the place of the IOC. As of 2004, most recent cases that were considered by the CAS dealt with transfer disputes within professional association football or with doping.

UNQUOTE

Well, like with FIFA, the politics always mix with sports...I not say the politics was the only motive, however I highly doubt there is no politic involved in Olympic games and IOC...the choice of the country which host the olympics had and still has a lot of politic interferences for exemple

3 hours ago, GeorgesAbitbol said:

While in other countries, like US or Europe they are all clear

Perhaps not all clear, but not being supported by their countries secret services.  Huge difference.  You do understand that, right?