Canadian police: 3 dead, 1 hurt in Toronto, crossbow found nearby 

webfact

Police: 3 dead, 1 hurt in Toronto, crossbow found nearby 

TORONTO (AP) — Three people were killed in what Canadian police on Thursday called a homicide that may have involved a crossbow.

Officers arrived at a home in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough and found two people without vital signs. A third person was found with significant injuries and taken to a hospital.

Police said all three people — two men and a woman — were later pronounced dead.

A fourth person, a 35-year-old man, was also injured.

Constable David Hopkinson said all three victims had what appeared to be crossbow wounds and a crossbow was found on the floor nearby. Constable Jennifer Sidhu says there were other "things" found in the area that could have been used in the incident. She declined to elaborate.

Police said a suspect is in custody but that it's very early in the investigation.

Sadiya Haque, who lives nearby, said she was surprised this happened in her usually tranquil neighborhood, adding that most of the people who live on that street are seniors.

Det. Sgt. Mike Carbone said there was a link between the crossbow scene and a suspicious package investigation in a condo on Toronto's waterfront. The condo was evacuated as police cordoned off the area. Carbone said he understands the package has been cleared but declined to discuss what was found.

Unlike guns, buying a crossbow does not require a license in Canada.

In December 2010, a man fired a bolt into his father's back at a Toronto public library branch in another crossbow incident that captured the city's attention. In that case, Zhou Fang then crushed his 52-year-old father's skull with a hammer.

Fang was initially charged with first-degree murder but the prosecution accepted a plea of second-degree murder after considering that he was the victim of long-term abuse at the hands of his father.

He was sentenced to life in prison in 2012.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-26

14 minutes ago, ivan96822 said:

Can they trace a crossbow the way they can bullets?

I do not think much tracing has to be done

Three people have been killed in Toronto, with one of the fatalities believed to be caused by a crossbow, say police.

Attending to a reported stabbing in the Scarborough area, police found two people dead and one person wounded. The injured person later died.

One person is in custody and a crossbow was found in the vicinity.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37187538

8 hours ago, ivan96822 said:

Can they trace a crossbow the way they can bullets?

I doubt it as Ballistics for a bullet is usually traced back to the gun barrow, which they are all unique. Having said that though, it is probably pretty difficult getting a Finger Print form a bullet lodged into someone's skull, but maybe not so for an arrow. 

But I have often wondered why a Cross Bow or Scuba Diving Hunting Equipment hasn't been regulated as a dangerous weapons. With a hunting bow you can kill a Deer at 40 to 50 yards, so a human target to, I suppose. A Shot Gun Range isn't much better than that, and you need a License for that. 

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Seems rather odd. Maybe there is a new type of crossbow that can fire multiple bolts? Takes a little time to reload and cock a crossbow I would think... giving a chance to run away and or take defensive action.

Very True! But then they can also be silent killers to. 

I remember another case in Ottawa, Canada many years ago.  A man with a crossbow chased his terrified wife down the street. He stopped running, took aim and shot her in the back, killing her.  No wonder they used to use bows and crossbows in war in the past and in even in some big game hunting these days. 

On August 26, 2016 at 8:24 AM, GOLDBUGGY said:

I doubt it as Ballistics for a bullet is usually traced back to the gun barrow, which they are all unique. Having said that though, it is probably pretty difficult getting a Finger Print form a bullet lodged into someone's skull, but maybe not so for an arrow. 

But I have often wondered why a Cross Bow or Scuba Diving Hunting Equipment hasn't been regulated as a dangerous weapons. With a hunting bow you can kill a Deer at 40 to 50 yards, so a human target to, I suppose. A Shot Gun Range isn't much better than that, and you need a License for that. 

Don't forget, long bows and crossbows used to be weapons of war up into the 1500's...when firearms became more effective..  The Battle of Flodden (1513) was "a landmark in the history of archery, as the last battle on English soil to be fought with the longbow as the principal weapon..." The last recorded use of bows in an English battle may have been a skirmish at Bridgnorth, in October 1642, during the English Civil War, when an impromptu town militia, armed with bows, proved effective against un-armoured musketeers. The Battle of Tippermuir (1644), in Scotland, may have been the last battle involving the longbow.  - Wikipedia 

In Europe, British-based Barnett International supplied crossbows to Serbian forces which according to The Guardian were later used "in ambushes and as a counter-sniper weapon", against the Kosovo Liberation Army during the Kosovo War in the areas of Pec and Djakovica, south west of Kosovo.  - Wikipedia