tool rental companies in Thailand

watcharacters

I recently helped a friend move and  checked into renting an appliance dolly in our major city or anywhere in Thailand.    

I came up empty.

I only found  a possible place in Chaing Mai  and maybe some places in Bangkok.     But there was no  indication as to what they had for rent.

I'm left with wondering why this is the case.    Isn't  tool or general rental a business opportunity  in Thailand.    Why  is there a  dearth of them?

Any speculations?   

Would something like this be a business model for Thailand?      www.uhaul.com

" Isn't  tool or general rental a business opportunity  in Thailand.    Why  is there a  dearth of them? "

Good question. I have become friends with the manager of a large national hardware chain, & suggested he look into a hire section. I spent a considerable time online showing him how it works in other countries. Initially he thought a good idea & took the idea along with a large amount of data we had obtained online on the subject, to head office. Head office had already researched the hire business in depth. Their only reason not to put into operation ... non return  & damage of the hired item.

They felt, even with copy of hirer's drivers license & signed hire contract & substantial deposit, it would never make money. The cost to repair damaged/misused equipment & employ additional staff to "chase" the return of non returned equipment, would far outweigh any profit that might be generated.

So, I guess that's why no equipment rental in LOS.

Hand tools, maybe. But what about welders, air compressors, cement mixers, scaffolding, jack hammers & the like.

Not every farmer or handyman would want to purchase any of the above for a once or twice a year project.

But, just my opinion.

But most would also not know how to use them.  And when was the last time you ever viewed anyone reading a manual?  Work is done by workers - even if they have minimal qualifications.

As for cost - quality tools are not cheap here - cheap tools are - and most cheap tools would not last one rental.   

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But most would also not know how to use them.  And when was the last time you ever viewed anyone reading a manual?  Work is done by workers - even if they have minimal qualifications.

As for cost - quality tools are not cheap here - cheap tools are - and most cheap tools would not last one rental.   

Nail head!