Can my girlfriend successfully take an insurance policy on my head without my consent?

Shatian

there are so many girls in se asia.  i think u know the answer.  Vietnam and Cambodia are pretty cool.  

Get out asap but dont get yoursellf in the same predicament bc most people dont learn their lesson with women til its too late. 

She prob is reading your post here as well.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, marquis22 said:

Yes she can. Mine did and when I spiked my foot and had to be treated at hospital the insurance policy covered it. I did not know she took it out till I went to the hospital.

May I know what you did after knowing what she did without your knowledge? What was her reaction? 

22 hours ago, MissAndry said:

I've never seen an accident policy that doesn't include death benefits.

There was a space for the name of the beneficiary on my accident policy, no restrictions on the name.

The insurance company want a copy of your passport. So if she has access to your passport, then the answer is YES.

Yes, I saw a copy of my passport in her phone and when I asked why she had a copy of my passport in her phone, she said since I often travel, she wanted to surprise me by buy an air ticket for me that is why she snapped my paasport. I deleted it. Note again that I didn't talk of life insurance. We were talking of accident insurance before the problem came up. The power of attorney was needed to collect money for a guy who died through an accident. So if she is taking or has taken it will certainly be accident insurance and not life insurance. 

22 hours ago, Headgame said:

You may be right that death benefits are part of every TH accident policy.

However, when you are placing life insurance on your own life, you must name either your estate or a specific beneficiary. Obviously, you have an insurable interest in your life.

The OP was asking about someone else placing a life insurance policy on him. Different facts.

I am not commenting on insurable interests in TH policies only as it applies in most other countries of the world. We all know TH has its own set of rules. All these issues can easily be addressed if the OP contacts a reputable TH insurance company.

No please. I didn't talk of life insurance. Any insurance policy that she can take on my head especially accident insurance as we were talking on an accident case before the problem came up. 100% sure of her trying to take or has taken accident policy and not life insurance.

3 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Technically not legal, no recognised 'insurable interest'

3 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Technically not legal, no recognised 'insurable interest'

Years ago it was legal to secure life insurance on anyone and no one asked about insurable interest.  Not even when processing a claim.  

I don't know how the insurance contracts denial clauses read today.

Two ladies in California years ago would take out life insurance policies on the homeless then run over them with their car while they were drunk sleeping in the alley.  They collected a ton of money until two detectives in conversation saw a similarity in the murders and compared notes. The two women as I recall received life sentence. 

It it was also common for investors to take out life insurance on friends who knew they were dying, but refused to see a doctor.  The investors then used their money to make the friend more comfortable while still alive and even travel with them paying the way.  What's funny is some investors paid a fortune in premiums for years and the friend didn't die!  They were forced to cancel the policy with big financial losses.

I knew of another case where the friend was suicidal and promised to kill himself.  His friends took out a life policy and had to keep paying for over a year at their expense.  The policy contained a one year suicide exclusion clause. After a year the depressed man told the investors he could not go through with killing himself!

The insurance companies in the above examples made big money.  Perhaps this is why at the time they did not care about insurable interest.

17 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Years ago it was legal to secure life insurance on anyone and no one asked about insurable interest.  Not even when processing a claim.  

I don't know how the insurance contracts denial clauses read today.

Two ladies in California years ago would take out life insurance policies on the homeless then run over them with their car while they were drunk sleeping in the alley.  They collected a ton of money until two detectives in conversation saw a similarity in the murders and compared notes. The two women as I recall received life sentence. 

It it was also common for investors to take out life insurance on friends who knew they were dying, but refused to see a doctor.  The investors then used their money to make the friend more comfortable while still alive and even travel with them paying the way.  What's funny is some investors paid a fortune in premiums for years and the friend didn't die!  They were forced to cancel the policy with big financial losses.

I knew of another case where the friend was suicidal and promised to kill himself.  His friends took out a life policy and had to keep paying for over a year at their expense.  The policy contained a one year suicide exclusion clause. After a year the depressed man told the investors he could not go through with killing himself!

The insurance companies in the above examples made big money.  Perhaps this is why at the time they did not care about insurable interest.

There has always been the demonstration of insurable interest required when taking out insurance.

4 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

There has always been the demonstration of insurable interest required when taking out insurance.

Not in the U.S.

And not for Life Insurance!

Your correct for most other insurance policies, but not life insurance in the US in past years.

I owned an Independant Insurance Adjustment Co. and Private Investigation agency in the US for 30 years handing claims for over 300 Insurance Companies and self insurers.

22 hours ago, Kabula said:

I owned a Private Investigation Agency and an Insurance Adjustment Company for 30 years that I founded.  We were recommended by the A.M. Best Co. for 12 years for all lines.

I've seen it all!

My advice is trust no one today especially with a worldwide economic retreat.

This is especially true to women or any love partner who has financial responsibilities to their families who have no social security.

The red flags are financial debts from illness, accidents, loss of a job, borrowed money; ties to criminal activity, alcohol or drug addiction in the family.

Anything is possible in securing Life Insurance.  If a company does not require an agent to be present for a signature all she has to do is hold up the application up to a window and trace your signature.  If an agent is involved, she can bribe him or even an Insurance Underwriter to follow her instructions or work a deal for a share of the insurance settlement.

She could even be sleeping with the agent or Underwriter and he/she suggested it.

She could also be threatened to commit fraud by a member of her family or ex-lover in organized crime.

I've always told clients if you suspect something is not right with a partner, your first thought is generally correct.

You need to check her out and perhaps have a hidden, voice activated recorder in the house/car/bedroom where she makes telephone calls and monitor her conversations.  Do check the local law regarding that and follow your suspicions.  If your suspicions are correct, file a Police report immediately and take a vacation out of town.  If she is charged, you may even consider leaving the country for a while.

You might consider hiring an off duty Police Detective to check her criminal history, develop a profile and a data base for prior insurance claims if there is one here and do surveillance. If you feel your relationship will end, have the investigator speak with her friends and even her and that that would put a stop to a potential fraudulent claim moving forward.

Your life could depend upon it. :w00t:

Good luck.

Wow! This is a master piece. At some point you read my mind. Thanks a lot.

20 hours ago, bamukloy said:

I really do find this thread ironical and comical.

For one, the guy does not have the faintest clue about how both Thai women and Insurance companies work.

Ironical..  On top of the list of all things on this earth i would NEVER trust:

1. Insurance companies.

2. Hmmm ( goes without mention)

Could you do me the greatest favour by explaining to me how Thai women and insurance companies work please? That will teach me a more better lesson. 

I'm amazed at the child-like faith many posters have in insurance companies. Helloooo. They have made weaselling out of policy obligations an art form. Does anyone think the skyscrapers they inhabit were achieved with ethics and honesty?

Disclaimer: I have no policy anywhere with any insurance company. I insure myself with cash reserves, and they can all get f####d.

14 hours ago, tomyumchai said:

Your name is 'shatian' right? Well if i was you i would have shatian my pants at her statement and moved to somewhere else by now. Whats the name of your condo? Ill look out for the story when they find you as a pavement pizza.

Does my name mean anything particular to you that I don't know please? I would like to know how I can shatian my pants.

On 8/29/2016 at 8:29 PM, lemonjelly said:

If you're so worried that she might be plotting to bump you off for insurance, dump her ASAP

i bet he wont ....................hes too weak, seen it too many times before. move on, life is cheap here.

NEXT 

Edited by catman20

On 8/29/2016 at 2:24 PM, ClutchClark said:

You no longer have any trust in this woman...it is time for you to end it and find a new one.

Au Contrare - its time to end it and stay single for a very loooong time..............anytime a woman starts talking about Insurance and Bank Accounts, its time to part company.

On 8/29/2016 at 7:23 PM, Oxx said:

Has anyone considered that the poor girl is just concerned for her own future should her partner die? Has the OP made any provision for her? And if so, has he explained it to her?

No need always to assume the worst about Thai girlfriends.  Many are decent, honest people.  And the fact that she's been open about taking out the insurance suggests she doesn't have any ulterior motive.

I think you missed the point entirely. Did you read that she brought up the idea in peace time? Or the idea came only after an argument? When she said if I die she will be the one to take the money because she is the one paying. Paying for what? For an insurance policy on my head that I don't have the least clue about it???? Is that genuine? Will you be very pleased to hear that your girlfriend, not even your wife (even if your wife) has taken an insurance on you without your knowledge? So she took insurance on me and put herself as the beneficiary without my consent no so? And that to you is a decent person. I saw a copy of my passport in her phone and as many people have suggested here if she has my passport copy it means she can take an insurance policy on my head. She was constantly checking my phone. When I started checking her phone, she immediately stopped checking mine. Being concerned for her future is secretly taking an insurance policy on my head to let me die or even kill me because she needs money right? I am doing these findings because she is really kind to me and caring too. But with sinister plans I think. I have watched "Les enquetes impossibles" and know first hand what someone taking an insurance on another person without their knowledge means. 

This is an interesting topic, OP, and it would seem that such a possibility could be dangerous for many in your position (which is many of us, actually).  I too wonder how this works.  If your GF can do this without your consent, what's to stop other members in her family from doing the same.  You could theoreticallly have ten people with insurance policies that pays out on your demise.  The thing is, even if these insurance policies don't actually pay out, but the insurance salesperson convinces said people that it does, still not too good having this hanging over your head.  I'll ask around. 

Edited by Berkshire

14 hours ago, Berkshire said:

This is an interesting topic, OP, and it would seem that such a possibility could be dangerous for many in your position (which is many of us, actually).  I too wonder how this works.  If your GF can do this without your consent, what's to stop other members in her family from doing the same.  You could theoreticallly have ten people with insurance policies that pays out on your demise.  The thing is, even if these insurance policies don't actually pay out, but the insurance salesperson convinces said people that it does, still not too good having this hanging over your head.  I'll ask around. 

Thanks a lot. I am waiting anxiously for your findings. In fact in most cases they kill people and never get the money from the insurance as you rightly said. The sales agents are out to get their commissions at all costs and don't care about the lies that they tell buyers. When a woman starts saying she discussed insurance on one's head with a bank manager without  my consent, you can imagine the extent to which it has gone and one never knows the extent to which the said manager could want to benefit from it too. When I was so bitter and told her that the said manager could even be one of her boyfriends, she said the manager is a woman. 

2 hours ago, Shatian said:

Thanks a lot. I am waiting anxiously for your findings. In fact in most cases they kill people and never get the money from the insurance as you rightly said. The sales agents are out to get their commissions at all costs and don't care about the lies that they tell buyers. When a woman starts saying she discussed insurance on one's head with a bank manager without  my consent, you can imagine the extent to which it has gone and one never knows the extent to which the said manager could want to benefit from it too. When I was so bitter and told her that the said manager could even be one of her boyfriends, she said the manager is a woman. 

According to some Thai friends of mine, laws governing life insurance are very strict.  Only the person being insured (e.g., you) can sign the contract...with the exception of minors under 18.  And only you can designate the beneficiary.  Even in cases where everything is legit, the insurance company will investigate all claims rigorously to avoid paying false claims. 

Having said that, it's certainly possible that an unscrupulous insurance salesperson can work with someone to produce a forged life insurance policy.  But in the end, it's the insurance company who would decide whether to pay the claim and it's highly doubtful that they would pay out a claim if the cause of death is even a little bit suspect. 

15 hours ago, Berkshire said:

According to some Thai friends of mine, laws governing life insurance are very strict.  Only the person being insured (e.g., you) can sign the contract...with the exception of minors under 18.  And only you can designate the beneficiary.  Even in cases where everything is legit, the insurance company will investigate all claims rigorously to avoid paying false claims. 

Having said that, it's certainly possible that an unscrupulous insurance salesperson can work with someone to produce a forged life insurance policy.  But in the end, it's the insurance company who would decide whether to pay the claim and it's highly doubtful that they would pay out a claim if the cause of death is even a little bit suspect. 

That is right and what she doesn't know is that she may never get the money even if I die. Again I am highly suspecting her of taking an accident insurance and not life insurance. As I said before, we were talking of an accident case before the issue started. 

If it is for Life Insurance it may be tricky for her to do this as usually you have to sign giving them permission to check into your medical history, or actually do a medical before they will give you insurance. But for accident insurance I see no reason why your Wife couldn't take out an accident policy on you. Although for a Girlfriend, there may be some restrictions as she might need to be a relative first. Not sure?

But what I do know for sure is that in the past I have had both life and accident insurance on me, with my wife being the one to receive this money in the event of my death, and she did not know about this. But I was only able to get Life Insurance after passing a company medical first.  

I would say as a Girlfriend her chances are very slim for any kind of insurance unless it is some joint bank account or loan.  

14 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

If it is for Life Insurance it may be tricky for her to do this as usually you have to sign giving them permission to check into your medical history, or actually do a medical before they will give you insurance. But for accident insurance I see no reason why your Wife couldn't take out an accident policy on you. Although for a Girlfriend, there may be some restrictions as she might need to be a relative first. Not sure?

But what I do know for sure is that in the past I have had both life and accident insurance on me, with my wife being the one to receive this money in the event of my death, and she did not know about this. But I was only able to get Life Insurance after passing a company medical first.  

I would say as a Girlfriend her chances are very slim for any kind of insurance unless it is some joint bank account or loan.  

I have rolled out the possibility of her taking a life insurance on me. But I strongly believe that she wanted or she has taken an accident insurance on me. I will keep doing my findings and follow the advice given here. Thanks.

On 8/30/2016 at 5:03 AM, Kabula said:

I owned a Private Investigation Agency and an Insurance Adjustment Company for 30 years that I founded.  We were recommended by the A.M. Best Co. for 12 years for all lines.

I've seen it all!

My advice is trust no one today especially with a worldwide economic retreat.

This is especially true to women or any love partner who has financial responsibilities to their families who have no social security.

The red flags are financial debts from illness, accidents, loss of a job, borrowed money; ties to criminal activity, alcohol or drug addiction in the family.

Anything is possible in securing Life Insurance.  If a company does not require an agent to be present for a signature all she has to do is hold up the application up to a window and trace your signature.  If an agent is involved, she can bribe him or even an Insurance Underwriter to follow her instructions or work a deal for a share of the insurance settlement.

She could even be sleeping with the agent or Underwriter and he/she suggested it.

She could also be threatened to commit fraud by a member of her family or ex-lover in organized crime.

I've always told clients if you suspect something is not right with a partner, your first thought is generally correct.

You need to check her out and perhaps have a hidden, voice activated recorder in the house/car/bedroom where she makes telephone calls and monitor her conversations.  Do check the local law regarding that and follow your suspicions.  If your suspicions are correct, file a Police report immediately and take a vacation out of town.  If she is charged, you may even consider leaving the country for a while.

You might consider hiring an off duty Police Detective to check her criminal history, develop a profile and a data base for prior insurance claims if there is one here and do surveillance. If you feel your relationship will end, have the investigator speak with her friends and even her and that that would put a stop to a potential fraudulent claim moving forward.

Your life could depend upon it. :w00t:

Good luck.

Again: Can my girlfriend (or wife) successfully take an insurance policy on my head without my consent?

Could it be, that to truly find out if someone (wife) has taken out a life insurance policy on a Farang's head, one would have to contact 777 Thai Based Life Insurance Companies & 20 Banks that sell Life Insurance and approach all of them with the request:" Could you tell me please, if someone has taken out a Life Insurance on my head".? Unrealistic and non workable.

Finally, it is probably just an other aspect of TIT. Expats must (in all situations of life) be aware that they are wallowing in a tropical swamp that is called "legal uncertainty".

Cheers.

21 minutes ago, Shatian said:

I have rolled out the possibility of her taking a life insurance on me. But I strongly believe that she wanted or she has taken an accident insurance on me. I will keep doing my findings and follow the advice given here. Thanks.

What I would look into if I was you, is if a Girlfriend, or Stranger, can even take out any insurance on you without your permission.

Just seems too easy to take out a Million Dollar Policy with someone you work with, and without him knowing, and then cut his break line to collect the money.

I do know that Insurance Companies did not become rich from being stupid. 

You are talking about "life assurance" not accident "insurance". The terminology indicates they are very different.

I would suggest your best logical protection is to write a Last Will and Testament stating clearly who the Executor of your Will and how they can be contacted; and then lodge the Will in Thai and English with a reputable notary or lawyer. This can't be expensive in Thailand.

I would not inform your girlfriend of your actions until this is done. Sadly, it sounds like she's in it for the money, but you knew this when you wrote the post. You don't need us to tell you that!

On 30/08/2016 at 4:43 PM, Shatian said:

May I know what you did after knowing what she did without your knowledge? What was her reaction? 

She said she is a good wife to look after husband :rolleyes:  "not expensive .. 700 baht per month"

I haven't asked yet if that covered death as well ....  :w00t:

I had already talked to her about accident insurance before marriage,. But I did not take it up myself here in Thailand as I have travel insurance and only live in Thailand about 6 months of the year. But I have since been told by my insurance company that I only get the first 3 months of the year insurance as I had made a claim before. (a $2500 claim)