Lightning strike kills 323 wild reindeer in Norway

webfact

Lightning strike kills 323 wild reindeer in Norway

606x341_342532.jpg

OSLO: -- A lightning strike in Norway has killed more than 300 reindeer.

In what wildlife officials are describing as an unusually large natural disaster, aerial footage showed the animals bodies scattered across a mountain plateau in the centre of the country.

The incident is said to have happened during a violent storm.

Norway’s Environment Agency says reindeer usually huddle together during bad weather, which could explain why so many were killed.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-30

6 hours ago, mania said:

Is this even possible?

I know they say they huddle together but sheesh 323 ?

That video shows them well spread out too

Not a  tin foil hat type ....but this is kind of weird

I agree, it sounds like complete bullshit to me.

Just now, ukrules said:

I agree, it sounds like complete bullshit to me.

It would be possible. 

Especislly if the herd grouped up tight.

But we have large herds of livestock and elk in the American West where there are aslo some strong summer thunderstorms and I have never heard of this large of a killing. 

I think of reindeer being quite northern animals and lightning storms are less typical in the far northern latitudes. 

Does anyone know if this was a freak storm?

41 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

It would be possible. 

Especislly if the herd grouped up tight.

But we have large herds of livestock and elk in the American West where there are aslo some strong summer thunderstorms and I have never heard of this large of a killing. 

I think of reindeer being quite northern animals and lightning storms are less typical in the far northern latitudes. 

Does anyone know if this was a freak storm?

It was a freak lightning storm, or in other words it was heavy lightning in the area that day. It's not the first time I've read about mass animal deaths at once in Norway due to lightning. It's not common, but it happens. And reindeer herds can be huge. In Norway the largest is around 10,000, while in Russia, the world largest herd, is over a million and Canada has one at over 400,000.

322 reindeer would have been many reindeer kebabs. I love reindeer meat. The best taste without any doubt. It's the first thing I will eat when I get back to Norway in a week or so.

A Middle Eastern man was seen leaving the seen of destruction.  Santa has cancelled his annual Christmas Eve trip around the world indefinitely until suitable reindeer replacements can be found.   I wish some countries would do the same with their leadership.    :wai2: