Type of Visa Required got the UK

I am planning on taking my Thai GF to the UK next year for a holiday, I will have known her for 3 years by then, I am currently living in Thailand on a 'Retirement' Visa in a rented Condo.

1) What type of Visa should  she apply  for ?

2) She has a son under 10 years old, does he require a seperat Visa or can he be included on his Mothers Application ?

3) She doesn't want to involve the child's Father, can she apply for a Thai E Passport for her son with out the Fathers signature ?

There is only one choice and that 'standard visa' - consider it a visitor visa.

These are issued for 6 months and are multi-entry.

The child will need his own visa.

Your wife will need to satisfy 3 key criteria - genuine reason to visit (if that is with you as sponsor you will need to evidence the genuineness of the relationship), financial adequacy i.e. sufficient funds to cover the trip and evidence of reasons to return to Thailand.

What is an 'E' passport?  The mother can apply for a Thai passport without the fathers signature. 1,000 Baht, takes about a week usually and can be posted to her home address.

Edited by Jip99

The reasons to return could be a challenge for you.

I recommend that you look on here in the "Visas and migration to other countries" section of the forum. Lots of good info.

An Entry Clearance Officer (the person assessing your GF's application) has to be satisfied that on the balance of probability she will return to Thailand at the end of the visa period.  It is not a foregone conclusion.

Thai passport info here:-

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

36 minutes ago, tahaan said:

You'll need the child's father's permission for both passport and visa applications.

You certainly won't for the visa application (permission to take the boy out of the country MAY be required depending on circumstances). The father is nothing to do with the visa application.

As for the Thai passport application it will depend on a couple of factors;  if the father is not named as such on the boy's birth certificate the he has no part to play. Similar, if the father is errant (as many are!) there are ways around it - usually involving the Poo Yai Ban and and about 500 Baht.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

If the applicant was born to parents who did not sign a marriage certificate, only the mother of the applicant can sign the parental consent form. She will need to bring a letter guaranteeing sole guardianship issued by her domicile district office (Por Kor 14) accompanied by her ID Card which must bear the title ‘Miss’.

If the applicant was born to parents who did not sign a marriage certificate, the father of the applicant cannot sign the parental consent form alone unless there is a court order 
granting sole guardianship to the father.

If the applicant’s parents were divorced or did not live together, a parent who is present to sign the parental consent form will need to bring the memorandum of divorce 
proving sole custody of the appearing parent.

If the applicant’s birth parents had officially given up the applicant for adoption, they cannot sign the parental consent form on behalf of the adoptive parents.

Required documents must be original or must be certified or notarized by the district office or agency that issued the documents

Documents required for applicants under the age of 15

Birth Certificate or a certified copy from the applicant’s district office

House Registration

Parents or legal guardian’s Citizenship I.D. Card or the other identification card which complies to the rules of the Ministry of Interior

A parental consent letter and a certified copy of the parent’s Citizenship I.D. Card of non-appearing parent

Other relevant documents such as

Change of Name or Surname Certificate

Adoption/Legal Guardianship Certificate

Divorce Certificate

Divorce’s memorandum certifying sole custody of the appearing parent

Death Certificate of non-appearing parent

Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-appearing parent

Alien Certificate of the applicant’s parents

Application fee

e-Passport application fee : 1,000 Baht

postage service (EMS) fee : 35 Baht

Edited by Jip99

My 18 year old stepson was granted a UK visit visa recently. His passport application was delayed by his father who initially wanted paying off but then later relented and signed the passport application form. The passport office advised that the father would also need to give consent for his son to travel and this was provided on a separate form  signed by both parents and stamped by the local amphur.

When we submitted  the visa application in July, I did not include the travel consent as there was no requirement for it in the visa application form. However, while working through her checklist the VFS girl processing the application asked for it. Luckily we had it with us and it was copied and included.

Now, I'm no expert. I don't know whether consent's a legal requirement for those under the age of majority or not. We just followed passport office advice. The above is my experience and, to be on the safe side, I'll make sure we have the document with us when checking in later this month.

Edited by tahaan
Edited to add father's name is required on the UK visa app form.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

The reasons to return could be a challenge for you.

I disagree.

You say in the OP that you live in Thailand, so provide evidence of this such as a copy of your passport and Thai visa plus your condo ownership plus evidence of your relationship. Then if the ECO accepts that the relationship is genuine you can be part of her reason to return.

Although children are not normally considered a reason to return as many Thais leave their children with relatives while they travel away to work; as her son is applying as well then in this case he can be another reason for her to return.  

Provide evidence that the child attends school and will be returning after the visit. I suggest a letter from the school to confirm his attendance, that he has been given leave of absence for the trip and when he is due back.

Note that the visa office may phone the school to verify the letter. If it is written in English they will expect to speak to the signatory in English and will doubt the letter's authenticity if that person is unable to do so. If it is written in Thai they will be happy to speak to the signatory in Thai.

If it is written in Thai you should provide a certified English translation as well; as you should for all documents not in English.

See Standard visitor visa.

There is a pinned topic on UK visit visas as well; some aspects are a bit out of date but you may find it helpful.

My wife had legal sole custody of her daughter, who was 9 at the time, when applying for her first passport and UK visa; so the father's consent was not required for either; just the custody document. So I can't help you with that one. Although I think that for the visa the mother's consent will be enough.

Although, as said above, his details will need to be entered on the visa application form.

Obviously, if, like my wife,  she does have legal sole custody, issued either by an ampur or a court, then the father's consent is not required for either her son's passport or the visa. But take the document with you when leaving Thailand as Thai immigration may want to see it.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I disagree.

You say in the OP that you live in Thailand, so provide evidence of this such as a copy of your passport and Thai visa plus your condo ownership plus evidence of your relationship. Then if the ECO accepts that the relationship is genuine you can be part of her reason to return.

Although children are not normally considered a reason to return as many Thais leave their children with relatives while they travel away to work; as her son is applying as well then in this case he can be another reason for her to return.  

Provide evidence that the child attends school and will be returning after the visit. I suggest a letter from the school to confirm his attendance, that he has been given leave of absence for the trip and when he is due back.

Note that the visa office may phone the school to verify the letter. If it is written in English they will expect to speak to the signatory in English and will doubt the letter's authenticity if that person is unable to do so. If it is written in Thai they will be happy to speak to the signatory in Thai.

If it is written in Thai you should provide a certified English translation as well; as you should for all documents not in English.

See Standard visitor visa.

There is a pinned topic on UK visit visas as well; some aspects are a bit out of date but you may find it helpful.

My wife had legal sole custody of her daughter, who was 9 at the time, when applying for her first passport and UK visa; so the father's consent was not required for either; just the custody document. So I can't help you with that one. Although I think that for the visa the mother's consent will be enough.

Although, as said above, his details will need to be entered on the visa application form.

Obviously, if, like my wife,  she does have legal sole custody, issued either by an ampur or a court, then the father's consent is not required for either her son's passport or the visa. But take the document with you when leaving Thailand as Thai immigration may want to see it.

Whilst I have a 'Retirement' Visa/Extension of Stay I don't own property in Thailand so really the only reason for her returning to Thailand is me, no other reason.?

But you do rent, so provide a copy of the rental agreement.

As I said, as her son will be travelling as well he can add to her reason to return; if he returns to Thailand to resume school then the assumption should be that she will return with him.

UK visit visas are not as hard to obtain as some make out; consistently approx. 95% of visit visa applications made in Thailand are approved.

Of those that fail, based on the many refusal notices I've seen over the years, the most common reason for refusal is that the applicant qualified for the visa, but failed to show that they did.

There is no fixed evidence required to show a reason to return; it depends too much on the applicant's circumstances. But in your girlfriends case:

1. In a long term relationship with her British sponsor who lives in Thailand.
  2. Has a son who is travelling with her who has to return to Thailand for school.
  3. She doesn't work; do you support her? If so, show it. If not, who does support her?
  4. Does she live with you? If so, show it.
  • Like 1

I agree with all that you have said 7 x 7 but I wanted to make it clear that 'reasons to return' is not a given. With limited evidence here the applicant will need to include all the factors that you have highlighted.

Indeed, Jip, nothing is a given, everything needs to be backed up with evidence.

Please be assured that my comment

21 hours ago, 7by7 said:

UK visit visas are not as hard to obtain as some make out

was not directed at you.

Edited by 7by7

One of the most persuasive reasons to return is a settled life in Thailand. If you live in Thailand and can demonstrate that, it is about the best reason you can get (other than good employment in Thailand perhaps).

Really should be quite straight forward to get a visa as long as you prepare the application carefully.

I also have a question about bringing Thai girl to the UK,my girl told me she has property 2 houses and a good job,but here is the snag she told me that she needs me to sponsor her and to provide wage slips bank details etc,but having checked on various sites it tells me that as she has property and a good job she wont need any letter or documents from me,anyone got any ideas on this issue,would be greatly appreciated.Is she telling lies?

Edited by RoyJames

She needs to provide evidence of her job, property etc. to show her reason to return.

If the all the costs of the visit are coming from her then she needs to provide evidence of her ability to do so. If you are covering all of the costs then you need to provide evidence of your ability to do so. If both of you are covering them jointly then you both need to provide this evidence.

The last six months bank statements should be sufficient for this; although wage slips can be useful as well.

'Sponsor' in a UK visa application does not mean the person paying for the visit; it means the person supporting the application, the person the visitor is travelling to the UK with or to visit, the reason for the visit if you like.

Of course, not every UK visit visa applicant has a sponsor.

If she is travelling to the UK with or to visit you then you should write a sponsor's letter in support of her application, briefly outlining the history of your relationship and the reason for the visit at this time.

If she will be staying with you then say so and include a brief description of your home and who else, if anyone, lives there to show that there is room for her; although sharing a room with you is acceptable. If she will be staying with someone else, such as relatives of yours, then they should write a letter of invitation saying the same.

• Like 1