Money exchange - larger amounts.

emilymat

I normaly try to find these things out but I'm a bit uncertain.

I wish to exchange baht for 1000 pounds and  1000 Euro's before the end of September.  I asked my bank today and they said they doubted they carried those amounts. I heard one of the bank staff mutter "Tops"or something,  but did not understand.

Could anyone kindly advise me where I can exchange  these amounts in Pattaya on spec. I'm pretty certain your normal exchange wouldn't have that. Also, would I be better simply to do it at the airport. My experience  of airports in the  UK is they are rob dogs in relation to exchange rates.

With many thanks

Suggestion for you, do it at the airport here, go down to the basement level at Swampy and there are a number of exchange booths there. Ignore all of them and seek out SUPERICH, their X change rates are far far better than everyone else.  They also have a website which shows you their locations ( not sure about Pattaya) and on that website it tells your their rates.

From their website just now  their rates for buying on the left and selling on the right

GBP@2x.png GBP 
United Kingdom
50 45.40 45.70
20-5 45.30 45.60
EUR@2x.png EUR 
European Union
500-100 38.55 38.65
50 38.50 38.60
20-5

Should have no trouble getting those amounts at TT exchange on the west side of Soi Buakhao between Soi Diana and Soi LK Metro.

Whilst I was there last visit they took in well over that amount from others as they were counting my £7000 !

The money exchanges will give much more favourable rates than your (or any) bank,

Edited by The Fat Controller
Added info re rates

1) The poster is in Pattaya

2) The poster wants to exchange Baht to Euro and Pound (not the usual tourist job Pound to Baht).

It is not certain that every random booth will sell foreign currency at all.

The amounts are uncritical.

I read somewhere at Superrich that from 5000 USD equivalent they have to report.

Have your passport with you.

I heard one of the bank staff mutter "Tops"or something,  but did not understand.

TOPS at corner of Central/2nd road is no more.

But does Yenjit exchange on 2nd floor still exist?

Maybe not. Who knows?

The one on Walking Street should still exist.

And of course open during the day. Not the best idea to walk the cash in the evening.

I saw them opening another one across Friendship market on south Pattaya rd.

Yenjit is a good starting point to go.

TT Exchange seems to have a "main" branch on 2nd rd. (shop).

Always good to have an AC shop instead of standing at roadside.

It's here:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9269983,100.876242,3a,75y,342.5h,87.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSDKhNGg4bsbPaz9CivGSzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Look inside:

12923383_1702979959981707_43509295735320

https://www.facebook.com/ttexchange/

Edited by KhunBENQ

That's a fairly large sum of money.  It'd sure be nice if you can report back any research on this.  A few months ago, I went on a trip and needed a few thousand USD.  We went to the exchange shop on what I believe is called Soi Gold.  It's the last soi on your left about 60 meters before you get to 3rd road as you head towards the sea on South Pattaya Road.  The money shop is about 100 meters in and on your left.  It's a fairly well visited store!  I don't think this is the store, but it should be near it:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/เอ็นแอนด์พีอพาร์ทเมนท์/@12.9230491,100.8828715,21z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x411cf64dd35ce624!8m2!3d12.922894!4d100.8826909?hl=en

I did not research this much as others have recommended this place.  But need to do some more exchanges and would love to know what you find out with regards to the rates.

1 hour ago, DipStick said:

Suggestion for you, do it at the airport here, go down to the basement level at Swampy and there are a number of exchange booths there. Ignore all of them and seek out SUPERICH, their X change rates are far far better than everyone else.  They also have a website which shows you their locations ( not sure about Pattaya) and on that website it tells your their rates.

Dont use the airport. even at super rich airport rates will not be competitive

Best rates are at VASu on soi 9 sukhumvit or Super rich.

1000 dollars pounds or euro are small change to these guys

Edited by HooHaa

Yes I am aware that the op is in fact in Pattaya, but in his original post he mentioned he could do it at the airport but was talking about London. I am also aware that he wants to purchase GBP And EURO.

so taking the above into account and imagining he would be flying to London then I deduct he will fly from Swampy, which just happens to be a location with a SUPERICH exchange. Look at the difference between the selling rate of GBP and EURO between Bangkok bank and SUPERICH.

bangkok bank selling            Gbp 46.97             Euro 39.24

superich                                  Gbp 45.70 - 45.60 depending on note denomination

Euro 38. 60-38.65 depending on note denomination.

its a no brainer 

Thanks very much for all those repies. They are most helpful. One earlier poster said it was a large amount for a tourist to carry around - which would be correct. However, I have lived here for 10 years and am one of those ex-pats who are re-locating to Spain, via a short stay in the UK. (That's why pounds and Euro's)

The 'problem', if there is one, is to try and arrive at the departure date with- maybe - 2000 baht left in my Thai bank account, with a slush fund of 100,000 baht to cover  the last couple of weeks and then change what's left a couple of days before leaving. Hence pounds/Euo's

Have been transferring several thousand to UK from Bangkok Bank in three chunks by wire. Didn't realise how painless.

Have just renewed retirement extension and obtained re-entry permit, in case the move goes belly-up. Many posters advise a fall back' position and I'm listening!

Thanks again

Various mentions of SuperRich but no mention that there are atleast 3 different companies with more or less the same name: they have Super Rich in their name followed by a word or date. Different companies, different colours in the logo (one green, one orange and one blue). Different rates. Usually one of the three has the best rate. Often Sia and one or two others may have the best rates. Plenty of Apps and a few websites to compare rates.

Don't know if the Super Rich(es) in the basement of Swampy have the same or worse rate than those in in the neighbourhood near Siam Paragorn. But the OP probably wants to go and exchange in Pattaya.

Better yet: find somebod who needs THB and exchange GBP and Euro's with them at the actual world exchange rate.Could be done in cash or you transfer Thai baht equal to 1000 GBP to the Thai account of the other person.  And they transfer the agreed upon amount in GBP from their British account to your British account.win-win. If the other perosn can be trusted.

4 hours ago, DipStick said:

Yes I am aware that the op is in fact in Pattaya, but in his original post he mentioned he could do it at the airport but was talking about London. I am also aware that he wants to purchase GBP And EURO.

so taking the above into account and imagining he would be flying to London then I deduct he will fly from Swampy, which just happens to be a location with a SUPERICH exchange. Look at the difference between the selling rate of GBP and EURO between Bangkok bank and SUPERICH.

bangkok bank selling            Gbp 46.97             Euro 39.24

superich                                  Gbp 45.70 - 45.60 depending on note denomination

Euro 38. 60-38.65 depending on note denomination.

its a no brainer

Dipstick. Sorry, should have made it clear the exchange from baht to Euro/Pound would be made this end, so I have intial working 'cash' for UK and Spain.

You mention Heathrow, but I fly into Birmingham with KLM. A friend e mailed me a couple of weeks ago and said the exchange booth at Birmingham was offering 0.99 cents (Euro) to the pound. That's what I mean about airport 'rob-dogs'. Rip off the holiday makers.   Not sure if this 'discrepancy' applies to Swampy etc and that is why I sought advice. Ta :)

Forget Birmingham I would also never change money in most airports, but what I am trying to say is this, I came into Thailand last month with 15,000 RMB and went to SUPERICH in swampy, their exchange rate saved me nearly 4000 RMB on others in the area.

i have sent you the exchange rates between SUPERICH and BKK bank and the differences are huge. Don't forget there are other issues changing in the uk, from baht to gbp not an issue apart from the exchange rate, but baht to Euro will mean they will change baht to gbp and then to Euro, meaning two different exchange rates and commissions.waie up smell the coffee 

About Suvarnabhumi:

on the ARL level there are now at least three exchange booths with competitive rates.

(Superrich 1965, Value+, Yenjit)

One more that I forgot.

The selling rate for bigger GBP notes on August 1 was 46.60.

No difference between the three.

The selling rates for 100 USD notes differed by 2 Satang!

Selling rate for GBP of Bangkok Bank on August 1 was 47.77.

So these booths are absolutely competitive. No need to travel to the city,

But I would still prefer to travel with a small bundle of 500 Euro notes and big Pound notes instead of 100 notes in Thai Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 8/30/2016 at 0:59 PM, emilymat said:

Thanks very much for all those repies. They are most helpful. One earlier poster said it was a large amount for a tourist to carry around - which would be correct. However, I have lived here for 10 years and am one of those ex-pats who are re-locating to Spain, via a short stay in the UK. (That's why pounds and Euro's)

The 'problem', if there is one, is to try and arrive at the departure date with- maybe - 2000 baht left in my Thai bank account, with a slush fund of 100,000 baht to cover  the last couple of weeks and then change what's left a couple of days before leaving. Hence pounds/Euo's

Have been transferring several thousand to UK from Bangkok Bank in three chunks by wire. Didn't realise how painless.

Have just renewed retirement extension and obtained re-entry permit, in case the move goes belly-up. Many posters advise a fall back' position and I'm listening!

Thanks again

Hello, i was intrigued by your saying the money transfer process was painless, three times, no less. Would you care to elaborate ? Did you need to show proof that the funds came from abroad in the first place ?

I did a transfer back to Europe a couple of days ago via Krung Sri and the proof was required. Any other documents that you needed to show ? Which branch was that if you don't mind my asking ?

FWIW, i am also in the process  of relocating some funds back to Europe, anecdotal evidence (Thai Visa) seems to suggest that capital is leaving Thailand at the "grass roots" level, to be replaced, of course, hundred fold by Chinese money .

Sorry for the OT.

Use Bank Gold, as described, off 3rd Road in South Pattaya, Soi "Rungland". Most if not all? of the farang pimps use this exchange to change Baht into pounds/Euros. Better rates as well, better than local banks and other exchanges. The amounts you indicate are not an issue, as i say, there are used to dealing with the common farang criminals. 

13 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

In the context of exchanges at the bank, according to the OP, the bank regards it as a larger sum than they want to exchange. The bank decides what amount is an excessively large sum for exchange purposes at the bank. If the bank says it is, then it is--for the bank, no matter whether we agree or disagree or what we're sure about. So craigt365 may simply and appropriately agree with the bank, FWIW, while the OP still needs an outside exchange service.  Why don't we just offer some useful info, such as

The Yenjit exchange was still there above the old Tops, as listed on the Yenjit website. Rates are posted here

http://www.yenjit.com/branchrate/pattaya.php

which are always pretty good, and you should call that branch in advance to order the "larger amounts:"

http://www.yenjit.com/contact/index.php

I'm not stalking you at all but merely disagreeing with you on a number of points as you do me. :)

I think it depends on the bank.  The main Bangkok Bank branch "may" have 1000 Euros or USDs on hand.  Then again, they may not.  I've found services by banks here to be dodgy at best.  And highly dependent on the day, the employee, the branch, the position of the sun and the moon, etc. 

Exchanges on the other hand only exchange money.  So it's a pretty sure thing they'll have larger amounts of foreign currency.  1000 is not that much money.  The one on "Gold" street has that available for sure.  10k?  Maybe.  Again, depends on what's going on that day and how much they keep in stock.

As I mentioned before, I exchanged some 60,000 Baht or so a few months ago.  No problems getting clean, crisp 100 dollar bills.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

As I mentioned before, I exchanged some 60,000 Baht or so a few months ago.  No problems getting clean, crisp 100 dollar bills.

What were you doing with 60,000.Baht in cash? I mean, how did you become the holder of such a large sum of cash(in Baht)? and careful with the new 100 USD Bills. They are already being counterfeited in the Middle East. 

15 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Why is everyone talking about those "huge" amounts in the OP.

I see only mentioned 1000 Pound and 1000 Euro. Most of you consider that a lot of money?

I should have re phrased my original OP. As I'm leaving I've already transferred money over to the UK through the normal process via the bank. What I was seeking advice on was the best place to change, say my last 100,000 baht at the 'drop of a hat" so to speak. Having been here years, like many, I have not used an exchange for ages - just my ATM card.

In the scheme of things 100,000 baht is no great sum, but I simply knew I couldn't wander down the local exchange booth and change it.

Thanks for the replies.

Yenjit is the one. That's what people mean when they say "tops" because it's in a building that used to contain Tops supermarket (now closed).

Pattaya Klang, just a couple hundred metres coming from beach road on the left - there is a sign that says "bowling". There's an outdoor car park and you go up to the second floor to find Yenjit.

Contact them in advance to tell them how much you're planning on changing and they will make you a slightly better rate. 0839880005

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

What were you doing with 60,000.Baht in cash? I mean, how did you become the holder of such a large sum of cash(in Baht)? and careful with the new 100 USD Bills. They are already being counterfeited in the Middle East. 

That's a weekend in Sin City for some of us.

Funny old world, maybe because it's Saturday.  I went to Gold on Soi Rugland this morning - one of the places advised on here. They only had 100 GBP and 700 Euro's !. Asked me if I could come back tonight. Told them I live by Lake Mab and it's now a 20 minute hike into town. However, they have agreed to phone me for maybe Mon/Tues for the remaining 900 GBP.  I then went to a place I used to use next to Tiffany's on 2nd Rd. Closed!.

Just bad/pot luck I guess. There are advantages in living in the city but I just got out as the traffic wascrazy. Tuesday will do.  :D