PM encourages Thais to wear traditional attire, promotes Herb Expo

webfact

14 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

He was the one that ruined it all in the first place! If the good general is taking about prior to Phibun issuing the cultural mandate, 'On Thai dress,' where Thai people were encouraged to adopt Western, as opposed to traditional, attire which—at that time—still consisted of women going about their daily business topless, then I can only applaud him.

Thai_culture_poster.PNG

Men according to this used to wear skirts.  So traditional Thai dress is like current ladyboys.  I think this works in Pattaya.  Topless women and men in skirts.  Prepare for a boom in tourists from Scotland.  

in an attempt to promote Thai identity...... I think they have done that already from their corruption, driving habits, drugs, coups, lack of policing, lies, lax governing, stupidity, ignorance, and overall attitude....No need to walk around topless to prove a point, but it would be nice.

Personally think the Thais look terrific in their traditional outfits, as do the Japanese for that matter. Government can't enforce, just prod I suppose, does add a nice touch for tourism. Recall in CM many workers dress traditional on Fridays. Western attire is just that, western attire, has little reference to Thailand, just more cultural imperialism like western music.

I actually think that in certain situations it could be a good thing,  eg;  In Kyoto Japan you get free train travel if you are wearing traditional attire, and hey if you've been too Japan you know that trains can be expensive at times,  pretty cool.

Also were I live the gov, staff wear Thai style (not traditional) clothing on Friday's, and in Chiang Mai the students wear Thai style clothes of Friday's also, so yeah I'm all for keeping Thai culture it just need's to be done right.

I have on occasion told my wife that if she wore some of her traditional Thai dress say too a restaurant in OZ she would probably get a few compliments on it, and yeah it would be great to see more Thai's doing it here.

24 minutes ago, eddie61 said:

If I am not mistaken, shirts were not de rigeur 100 years ago... all in favour of that..

I suspect this guy doesn't really know what he wants. Like some of the Thai soaps (Lak Korn?) - traditional dress in a modern setting with everything clean as clean can be. Houses immaculate even though they seem to be built in a forest clearing, hardly a clean environment.

That nice Mr Prayuth doesn't seem to be able to recognise that this scenario never existed so it isn't a question of going back to it - it was never there to go back to.

What I suspect he really wants is a nation of drones, blindly loyal to whomsoever he says they should be loyal to, unquestioning, obedient, uneducated (very important) and superstitious enough to mistake him or whomsoever he nominates for some concept of a God. He tried his luck getting the international community onside but that didn't work out very well, so now he's turning his baleful gaze to what happens inside Thailand. I believe this should worry all foreigners who have made their home there.

His is an interesting psychology. A suitable case for study but not unique. One can learn a lot from people like this - it's mostly about how not to behave but it's interesting that he managed to clawed his way up the hierarchy, apparently without anyone of importance realising that he has serious issues. What that says about the people who put him way above his Peter Level is much more worrisome. As are most things troublesome in Thailand for the past few decades, I suspect a certain ageing ex-general to be the major source of infection.

Winnie