Shipping a guitar from Ireland via DHL...

badbuzz88

Hi guys,

Just a quick post looking for advice. I'm in Chiang Mai a month now, working and on a non-B VISA awaiting my work permit. I've got a guitar (worth around €1000) at home that I am really attached to. I've left money with family at home for them to ship it over once the time is right. DHL have given me a quote that included insurance up to the value of the item.

The next thing I need to worry about is customs. This is a personal 'household', used item that I am importing for no reason other than to use it myself.

Should I be weary of it getting stopped at customs/charged import duties? If so, are there any measures I can take to try to stop this from happening?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, kilt said:

I would say you are definitely going to be hit up for duty and tax. 

The only measure to avoid this that I know of is to ship it to Hong Kong for pick up and get a cheap flight there and walk it in.

So we're talking duty fees higher than the price of a return flight to HK? Bearing in mind that on most airlines you need to book an extra seat in order to travel with a guitar !

Edited by badbuzz88

A ) I don't know the price quoted, but DHL is pretty much cost-prohibitive for shipping anything out of Thailand. 

B ) You will most likely have to pay duty. 

C ) You most certainly do NOT have to "book an extra seat in order to travel with a guitar." I brought my 1972 Martin D-18 over here from the USA and it was treated as fragile check-in luggage (no damage and treated with the utmost care every step of the way). 

For only a month, I'd say it's not worth the cost and hassle. Just take a fraction of the costs you would incur and buy a decent "one month" guitar. It would be the smartest thing to do. 

I would talk to the carrier / DHL and ask them if you can import the guitar as  'Temporary Import'

You would then have to re-export when you leave the country

You will pay a fee, however it should be small

Also you would need an invoice with description, cost and the words such as 'TEMPORARY IMPORT INVOICE'

22 hours ago, Trujillo said:

A ) I don't know the price quoted, but DHL is pretty much cost-prohibitive for shipping anything out of Thailand. 

B ) You will most likely have to pay duty. 

C ) You most certainly do NOT have to "book an extra seat in order to travel with a guitar." I brought my 1972 Martin D-18 over here from the USA and it was treated as fragile check-in luggage (no damage and treated with the utmost care every step of the way). 

For only a month, I'd say it's not worth the cost and hassle. Just take a fraction of the costs you would incur and buy a decent "one month" guitar. It would be the smartest thing to do. 

Sorry, I may have been unclear in my OP. I have been here a month but am staying for 2+ years, hence the reason for wanting to ship the guitar over (it's a Martin too). 

Do you have any idea what kind of duty fees we'd be talking about? I'd be prepared to pay THB3-4K if worst came to worst. 

I do agree with HG. A fiend/relative carrying your guitar while flying to visit you should be the "cheapest" way (and maybe the safest)...

Basically, each items "category" is suited for a fee from 0 to 80%. For example, and from what I know, photographic accessories get a 10% fee, motorcycle accessories get a 30% fee, and so on... based on declared value + shipping cost and then add to that the 7% VAT.

On the thai custom web page you may find the music instruments category and the related fees.

Thouhg, problem may arise sometime it's up to the custom officer "that day that time". As a private you never defenitely know what fee may be applied to an imported item that right moment (it happened to me several times for the best and/or for the worst).

IMHO such a big box won't pass through customs clearance without to be noticed. It will surely be stopped and taxed.

3, 4 or even 5K fee wouldn't surprise me so much, though for sure I don't really know.

As said above, for this price (4-5K) you may find a "playable though cheap" guitar for sale in CNX. Not your €1000 rig I know, but at least a tool you'll not worry about anything.

Many young thai guitar players play this kind of guitar and are happy with...

Though YMMV, I know...

Good luck!