Use apps that require Wifi on ethernet

JaiMaai

There are a few apps on android that require a wifi connection and will refuse to work on ethernet. Can any one suggest a workaround. I've tried a few things such as copying config files into the root directory or apps that claim to create a spoof connection. The app I'm trying to use is AIS play but I'm also interested in more a general sense.

Can you give an example of the hardware platform, and application(s)? Be very specific.

An application like AIS Play is meant for a mobile device, and (to the best of my recollection) needs to be activated on a phone receiving an OTP SMS (The SMS can be sent to another phone, but the OTP can be used on the first phone). Once activated on that device, it can be used on WiFi or mobile data.

The AIS Play app also seems to require a repeating, timely re-subscription via OTP.

Are you trying to install AIS Play on an Android box?

I use a Chromecast to cast AIS Play from a phone to a TV; I still haven't figured out how to cast (Google Cast/Android mobile, or even Chrome Browser/PC Cast-ing) to an Android TV box. I think it can be done?

Tapatalk is one app that I know of that has this issue and there are others that only work properly on WiFi. You don't say what device you are attaching to the Ethernet cable but probably not a phone!

In my case I have a MINIX Android box that allows Fake WiFi to get over this. Is there not an option to turn off Ethernet and turn on WiFi when you need to use WiFi only apps?

I think Fake WiFi, and other similar apps, is meant to make a 3G/4G (mobile data) connection look like a WiFi connection? Are you saying that it can make an ethernet connection on an Android TV box also look like a WiFi connection?

Off to tinker with my Xfinity Go app.

I think Fake WiFi, and other similar apps, is meant to make a 3G/4G (mobile data) connection look like a WiFi connection? Are you saying that it can make an ethernet connection on an Android TV box also look like a WiFi connection?

Off to tinker with my Xfinity Go app.

Yes, that it was it is there for but I should add that this is not an app but a setting. Not all boxes have this setting though. MINIX X8 H-Plus and Neo U1 does.

See attached screenshot, I just click on Fake WiFi and select "on"

(Edit: I deleted the screenshot because it showed my IP and MAC address)

Yes, in this case I am trying to run the AIS Play application on an Android box, in this case a CS968 clone with an RK3188 chip. I got the OTP sent to my phone and then it works (when connected to wifi).

The box is connected by ethernet.I want to use the app so that the other half can watch her lakorns in the bedroom and I don't get kicked out of iLikeHD in the livingroom when she switches the box on.  Manually switching to wifi each time is too much of a pain in the neck.

Fake wifi doesn't seem to work for this app.

OK then. I would temporarily disconnect the ethernet from the Android TV box, and enable WiFi on the Android box (temporarily), install AIS Play (Presume you have the apk for sideloading or got it from the Play Store), open the app, enter your AIS number in the prompt, wait for the 4 digit OTP, enter that in the field, then see if the app works as you expect.

After that you could probably switch the Android box back to ethernet.

You may encounter the need for subsequent credential verification, although maybe not every day. If this works, rinse/repeat.

1 hour ago, JaiMaai said:

It's running on ethernet through powerline adaptors. The signal is not quite there for 100% reliability on Wifi.

Have you measured it?

Look for an app called Wifi Overview 360, perhaps you have cheap adapters, insufficient bandwidth for streaming or channel conflict, all of which can be solved.

Something like this might work better.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/powerline-adapters/trendnet-powerline-500-av2-adapter-kit-review-3512407/

The TrendNet AV2 was again faster than its completion, averaging a speed of 71Mbps using Powerline and ethernet. This was the fastest average speed we got in our comparison of Powerline over ethernet, and is sufficient for most users, and we downloaded HD TV with few pauses. If you want the fastest Powerline speeds you need to make the jump to the pricier gigabit Powerline, on adapters such as the £159 Devolo 1200+.

Using the Wi-Fi of the Wireless Access Point we again got the best results we’ve seen from a Powerline device, with a 68Mbps average – almost as fast as using the Ethernet cable!

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

OK then. I would temporarily disconnect the ethernet from the Android TV box, and enable WiFi on the Android box (temporarily), install AIS Play (Presume you have the apk for sideloading or got it from the Play Store), open the app, enter your AIS number in the prompt, wait for the 4 digit OTP, enter that in the field, then see if the app works as you expect.

After that you could probably switch the Android box back to ethernet.

You may encounter the need for subsequent credential verification, although maybe not every day. If this works, rinse/repeat.

Unfortunately, installing the app isn't the problem.  When app starts after installation and logged on using an OTP it displays a message saying that there is no connection to the Internet, which there cleary is and then automatically closes.

Using my Android TV box (on WiFi) I was able to successfully:

find the AIS Play app in the Play Store

download it, and install it

launch it

view the cascading promo screens

click on TV

choose a channel

prompted to enter AIS number

received OTP

entered OTP

application ran as expected, only looked at a few channels, assume they all work fine

no problems

Probably something not working in your configuration. Could be a gazillion things, but maybe there's an Android issue, in that the app requires a certain rev. and your box is below that, so it can't run the app. Just a guess, not enough info to offer a potentially better idea. (Sorry the photos are out of order.)

IMG_20160831_174908.jpg

IMG_20160831_174707.jpg

IMG_20160831_174822.jpg

IMG_20160831_175205.jpg

IMG_20160831_175156.jpg

IMG_20160831_175119.jpg

IMG_20160831_175024.jpg

IMG_20160831_174945.jpg

So after you get the app running on WiFi - I must have missed that part of the story, sorry,  turn off the Android box, connect it to ethernet, restart it, only the AIS Play app fails to start/run? Everything else works fine?

It seems like it should work? I can't find anything that references a WiFi-only method of connectivity, but I didn't grind through all the Thai comments.

Maybe drop an email to [email protected] and ask?

I have to say that the quality running the AIS Play app on my Android box was quite poor compared to when I cast AIS Play from my phone to my Chromecast/TV. ANd very easy to use the app. on a phone as a TV guide and remote. Maybe a casting stick would work for you?

7 hours ago, Chicog said:

Have you measured it?

Look for an app called Wifi Overview 360, perhaps you have cheap adapters, insufficient bandwidth for streaming or channel conflict, all of which can be solved.

Something like this might work better.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/powerline-adapters/trendnet-powerline-500-av2-adapter-kit-review-3512407/

Wifi signal strength is good (around  -60 dBm) and the link says it's connected at 72 Mbps so all should be good but the box just doesn't want to play with any kind of "live" streams on Wifi. Youutube etc is fine.

I've tried the apk mentioned by Linesy in post #6 but no joy even after rooting the box. The app just says no Internet connection. I'm  guessing it must check if the wifi is connected rather than actuall trying to connect to a server.

I've finally got it to work on ethernet by

(1) Rooting my device.

(2) Installing the xposed framework

(3) Installing the fake wifi module

(4) Setting the fake wifi app to work with the AIS Play app

(5) Restarting my device.

The quality is so-so but it's mostly for the other half to use when I'm using the box in the other room.  All's good.  :)

Archived