THAI takes delivery of state of the art aircraft

webfact

6 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Silly me, I always thought it was the ridiculously high fares. But that issue aside, with one of the best managed airlines in the world, Singapore Air, with truly world class hard and soft products, stuggling with the challenge of competing with the ME3 for medium and long-haul international flights, what hope is there for a incompetently run airline like Thai?

Taxpayer bailout ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

A Bombardier fan, eh?    Just love the little bombing runs we do between Seattle and Vancouver B.C. every time I go home for the holidays.  Now THERE'S state of the fart!

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 1.52.29 PM.png

These are great: got one about 3 weeks ago Hamburg-London City. Off the plane, through immigration and onto the DLR in 10 minutes. Forget Heathrow and its endless queues.

5 hours ago, Toknarok said:

These aircraft are actually being leased not purchased. I would image that leasing them would be cheaper then purchasing, in the short term anyway. See Airbus blog......http://www.airbusgroup.com/int/en/news-media/press-releases/Airbus-Group/Financial_Communication/2016/08/Thai-Airways-International-becomes-new-operator-of-the-A350-XWB.html

No airline buys aircraft, all leased.

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Seat prices 30% higher than Mrats and Qatar? I can't speak for Qatar, but every time I check, THAI are usually double the price of Mrats and 2-3 hundred quid more than BA. No thanks...

Checked the other week for flights to UK and Thai Airways was 5 baht more expensive than BA!! And as I prefer to fly direct they were also cheaper than 1 stopover flights like Qatar, Emirates etc.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Both the daily Melbourne flights will go to A350. The Australia Thai manager is quoted as saying they have secured gates closer to immigration at BKK: as anyone who takes these flights knows, more often than not they have been bus in on arrival and departure ( as in about 80%).

i hope this works for them. The competition is tough: not being too constrained by dates, I take whatever is cheapest  and have a few overlapping tickets on the go at the same time. Thai hasn't figured much in recent times: just too expensive relative to the (better) competition.

Aren't these "gate issues" have more to do with airport overcrowding (too many planes landing at certain times) than airline management. Who lands when and where are controlled by the airport not the airline no? I guess Thai could adjust their schedule to land at less congested times but business travelers prefer to land at certain times.

1 hour ago, AlphMichaels said:

Dropped some serious satang on this baby as it's one of the 1st 50 built.   

Don't early buyers of new series aircraft usually get some discounts...to get off to a good start and build momentum for the program?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

9 hours ago, z42 said:

What part of the cost cutting exercise is this then I wonder. As far as I am aware they are still massively in the red and barely profitable even in a time of extremely cheap fuel costs and unprecedented numbers of air travellers. A joke of a purchase given their current circumstances

Not necessarily so. Fleet planning is best done decades out. The most profitable legacy airlines have the youngest fleets.

Both maintenance and fuel efficiency savings are vast, the weight reductions in both modern cabin fit outs and composite materials further add to savings, as do early and robust order forms which can carve millions off the list prices. 

Maintenance is often also heavily discounted to enable airbus engineers to get 'free' access to study how new models are holding up in real world flight cycles.

The sooner they can shed the deservedly beloved, but fuel guzzling 747s the better off they'll be long term.

Another thing about the airbus aircraft layout is the close similarity of the modern 'joystick' flight deck across all models making pilot training more efficient therefore cutting training man hours without sacrificing training quality. 

By all accounts the offset armrest joystick is surprisingly popular even among conversions from the boeing 'yoke' layout.

1 hour ago, LuckyNo4 said:

Flying to the UK? EVA Air Business, Premium Economy or even economy beats THAI every time. Better service & better prices. Me, my family and friends use them all the time.

I was lucky enough to fly business with Them for free once. Not impressed.

The problem is it's all nepotism with the service crews, daddys little hi so girl getting a free travel the world job for life.

Not, as with other asian carriers, based on the best of the best in terms of customer service. The Thai (national) cabin crew Qantas employed out of BKK in the first decade of this century were hired on merit. They were nearly all outstanding. Cut away tragically of course, by the changing fates of global aviation. 

Edited by dhream

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Aren't these "gate issues" have more to do with airport overcrowding (too many planes landing at certain times) than airline management. Who lands when and where are controlled by the airport not the airline no? I guess Thai could adjust their schedule to land at less congested times but business travelers prefer to land at certain times.

I had always assumed so but the Thai rep quoted in Australian Business Traveller suggests that it is something more and something of a coup to get these premium gates. The bus can be a pain after a nine hour flight: on the other hand it does take passengers almost right to immigration. Of course unlike most airlines, Thai does not provide a separate bus for business class passengers. 

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Don't early buyers of new series aircraft usually get some discounts...to get off to a good start and build momentum for the program?

There are discounts for first in, discounts for upgrades to type, discounts for bulk, and many other deals. In addition, many fleets are simply leased. Although the Toulouse delivery visit would indicate a significant deal was inked.

1 hour ago, LuckyNo4 said:

Flying to the UK? EVA Air Business, Premium Economy or even economy beats THAI every time. Better service & better prices. Me, my family and friends use them all the time.

I made another post earlier about Thai being very comparable on prices when looking to fly to UK. At the same time I had looked at EVA Air and they were 17000 baht more expensive!!! Other friends of mine have used Eva Air and have not been impressed especially when the personal media screens did not work for the entire flight!!

4 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

No, state of the art is the Boeing Dreamliner.   Dolts. :yohan:

My motto at ticket time:  "If it's not a Boeing, I'm not Goeing."  

yet the boeing  workers  state " they wouldnt fly on the 787" in a recent documentary i saw, they never  fixed the battery issue  either

These aircraft are the same as the 787 with a very good km to the litre , they tried to cancel the 380 order , they have had 340's for ages ,  the first to go from BKK  straight over the artic and down the other side to NY,  can do that now with sat GPS .....................................:coffee1: 

8 hours ago, pauleddy said:

6. It's perfectly apparent that oil prices are rock bottom, and that fewer people are travelling. Airlines need to work hard to attract people to fly.

Eddy

Which Qatar are  currently doing with another one of their sales (up to 40% off).

3 hours ago, new2here said:

Many airlines first "trial" new fleet types on short-haul sectors - especially between hubs or focus cities where above and below wing support are readily available.

I think Qatar trialled the Screamliner on the 25 minute DOH-BAH-DOH because if it flew any longer than that it risked catching fire.

:P

I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest about buying versus leasing, so read and believe what you wish.   No airline would shell out $270+ MILLION to buy when an aircraft can be leased.

My understanding is that Thai are in diabolical financial circumstances, so how/why would, or more importantly, could they buy, except perhaps to report that they are buying to impress the travelling public, or creditors?

Edited by F4UCorsair
spellcheck

I just checked the cost of an A350-900 - $304.8 MILLION.   Could Thai come up with $1.16 BILLION???

How many airlines could come up with that amount of cash in these challenging times for most airlines? My money is on leasing.

Qantas, a significantly larger airline than Thai, recently published a profit of $1.42 Billion for the 2015-16 financial year, so they could afford 4 if they wanted to buy, but it would take a long time to replace a fleet of 130+ aircraft, and that was a record profit.  Borrowing to buy is worse, or no better than, leasing, so buying is a no go.

Or......they could buy, then sell to a leasing company, and lease back.   Check this link

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-airplane-leasing-business-work-Why-do-airlines-buy-the-planes-then-sell-them-to-a-leasing-company-and-then-lease-it-back

It looks good that they've bought a billion plus worth of aircraft, but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition