MahaNakhon - Thailand's tallest building could be illegal

webfact

The  law , like many Thai laws, is an ASS, they say " falang cant do a job a Thai could do"...the reality is theyre so  bloody crap at their jobs they cant even get close to the skill leve required on even simple tasks, to employ a Thai in many cases means  you get substandard in almost EVERY way, all the way down to construction and the man on the job such as a plasterer............usually crap, shoddy, lazy no work ethic dirty and bad work practice, had them all here over the years, electricians from Tesco            ( install aircon) who dont use an Earth wire "no need" even though the aircon unit has a big "ferk off Earth" mounting with a sign saying it must be earthed then using purple and green cables for live and neutral!!!

I do it all myself, have done for years since i saw exactly how many of them work.

The good  ones must work overseas or something as Ive yet to find one especially in construction field.

Even architects were crap last time I approached a largish company.

Had a  wall built pre cast panels, 15 posts 4  inches out of true.....pathetic 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hold on a cotton picking minute Jesus double double standards going on here. Can it be that the great and powerful (in your own minds) on here are now saying it's ok for a falang to work without the correct work permit in an ocupation which is for Thai only. Are these the same people who get all hot and bothered when a falang sells food or works without the correct visa. Dear dear me you have all been weighed and found very much wanting.

I hope Thai airlines gets  rid of all its  Boeings and Airbuses and starts  making their own aircraft           ( gawd help u all) and why not "the wheel" whilst there at it..............darn foreign invenshuns

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Hold on a cotton picking minute Jesus double double standards going on here. Can it be that the great and powerful (in your own minds) on here are now saying it's ok for a falang to work without the correct work permit in an ocupation which is for Thai only. Are these the same people who get all hot and bothered when a falang sells food or works without the correct visa. Dear dear me you have all been weighed and found very much wanting.

The difference is with several years of full time training and a motivated student a Thai may be able to make a half decent burger. Let's not even pretend a Thai could pull off something like this building.

Can't stand reading all the posts here.

But my Nissan was designed in Japan, but built here.

Guess its illegal.

Silly laws that seemed bent on preventing the best in the world from contributing.

The truly ironic part is that the actual work was probably performed in large part by. Igrant labour since that is cheaper than hiring Thai citizens and there's nary a mention of that.

53 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

The difference is with several years of full time training and a motivated student a Thai may be able to make a half decent burger. Let's not even pretend a Thai could pull off something like this building.

Dual standards one rule for one another for you whenever you feel like it.  Plus your opinions on what Thais are capable of is totaly irrelevant.  Bet you could even make a burger there again maybe not

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

.......allegedly allowed a foreign architect to design the building.

And that is why there is such a stunning piece of architecture on the skyline today ..............

Obviously what Thai can build such a magical building. These people are forever making themselves look like idiots. Well we need say know more 

19 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I couldn't care less when some foreigner makes burgers either. Just pointing out an obvious difference to you between designing a building like this and being a fry cook.

Actually no you wasn't what you said was that no thai is good enough to design something like that. 

8 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

This is all such bs a British architect built my house and several well known resorts here. Much ado about sweet sod all other than to show the Thais in an increasingly xenophobic light which helps neither them nor their wished for investors. Grow the <deleted> up ..

Sorry mate, pack your bags cuz that house has got to come down so that you can move into a bamboo hut :)  Really, you couldn,t make this stuff up !

8 hours ago, Rancid said:

Interesting looking building. The only real surprise would be if no laws had been circumvented.

I'm always skeptical of these "interesting looking" buildings. They usually seem to be intended to make a name for the architect, and seem to usually not work very well. The buildings built by the famous American architect Frank Lloyd Wright tended to leak and break easily.

5 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I am going to guess with a project like this the architect would have been on the site once or twice.

No problem with his being on site occasionally or even periodically, as long as he doesn't actually work as an architect -- not even signing a document.  He can attend meetings and go on tours, anything he wants except working (with or without remuneration) as an architect.  They company I work for has many overseas consultants and contractors who cannot actually work IN Thailand.

Edited by haroldc
spelling again

Just now, haroldc said:

No problem with his being on site occasionally or even periodically, as long as he doesn't actual work as an architect -- not even signing a document.  He can attend meetings and go on tours, anything he wants except working (with or without renumeration) as an architect.  They company I work for has many overseas consultants and contractors who cannot actually work IN Thailand.

There should in reality be no problem whether he is on site, signs documents, or even picks up a fricking hammer. He should be allowed to work period. There is no reason this job should be prohibited under the law. These laws are outdated and ridiculous. 

Before anybody jumps up about work permits, yes, sure you should have one but under these laws they are impossible to obtain for his work. These laws need to go. Period.

4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

There should in reality be no problem whether he is on site, signs documents, or even picks up a fricking hammer. He should be allowed to work period. There is no reason this job should be prohibited under the law. These laws are outdated and ridiculous. 

Before anybody jumps up about work permits, yes, sure you should have one but under these laws they are impossible to obtain for his work. These laws need to go. Period.

I agree completely -- its a major reason why my company's headquarters was moved to Singapore.  You still need a work permit, but for professionals the process is almost automatic.

Edited by haroldc
spelling

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but what amazes me is that a project like this takes years to complete.

If the architect was working illegally, why on earth wasn't the project stopped earlier?

Oh, let's see. Let's wait until the project is finished then we can declare his work as illegal.  We don't have a Thai who can do a job like this.

9 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I see what you mean but the law that was broken is a law that is broken. Such laws in Britain wouldn't be legal in the first place so you can't compare it that way. Instead of trying to enforce such laws they should just acknowledge the guy built arguably the most iconic building in the country and hope other foreign architects also help contribute to beautiful designs so Thailand will at least have some unique skylines.

As far as architects in Britain how do you think designed The Shard? It wasn't a Brit. Thailand needs to decide if they want to stick to outdated regulations that discriminate against the top minds in their respective fields, or if they want investments and designs worth billions and trillions of Baht to be carried out.

"Iconic" it maybe in that it is unique, but calling it "beautiful" could be a stretch. To my eyes it was a waste of 21 billion baht, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just now, tropo said:

"Iconic" it maybe in that it is unique, but calling it "beautiful" could be a stretch. To my eyes it was a waste of 21 billion baht, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Many avant garde designs are ridiculed when they are first introduced. You would probably change your opinion if you went inside some of the apartments inside of the place. The beauty is the entire building inside and out. 

8 hours ago, tomyummer said:

They should have let a Thai architect design it. Then you can get another elephant building to match the one in Lardprao!

Yes maybe.

OR

Have it designed by a foreign architect office and then have a Thai Architect on the drawing(s) move the building to the left of right and sign the redrawn drawings with the Thai Architect's name.

Have seen it done but I will not tell you name of the building and its location, I'm not involved in private detective work, I'm retired and stick to the Thai immigration rules of retirement in Thailand of not allowed to work for remuneration.

Now that we are on the subject of foreign designed, what about all these golf courses in Thailand designed by foreign golf course designers, no need to name them, their names are plastered all over these golf courses. Be advised, there are Thai golf course designers.

9 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Except for the fact the architect is German.

Keep on guessing. It was a Dutch architect named Rem Koolhaas. Founder of the O.M.A. Architects group. They designed many famous buildings p.e. in New York and Beijing.

10 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Many avant garde designs are ridiculed when they are first introduced. You would probably change your opinion if you went inside some of the apartments inside of the place. The beauty is the entire building inside and out. 

And some experimental designs are forever seen as eyesores. It's a risky investment.  

2 minutes ago, Broeno said:

Keep on guessing. It was a Dutch architect named Rem Koolhaas. Founder of the O.M.A. Architects group. They designed many famous buildings p.e. in New York and Beijing.

Then you have fooled me and the internet he isn't mentioned as far as this building goes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MahaNakhon

Details on the MahaNakhon development were officially announced on 23 July 2009, with a team including German architect Ole Scheeren, former partner of the design firm Office for Metropolitan Architecture; joint-venture development partners including Thai company Pace Development, David Collins Studio based in London and multinational Industrial Buildings Corporation PLC. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rem_Koolhaas

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

And some experimental designs are forever seen as eyesores. It's a risky investment.  

I guess we can just let the architects awards speak for themselves.

Awards[edit]

2015: World Building of the Year 2015 - The Interlace, Singapore

2015: Best Mixed-Use Development 2015 – Thailand – Asia Pacific Property Awards (MahaNakhon)

2014: Global Urban Habitat Award – The Inaugural CTBUH Urban Habitat Award (The Interlace)

2013: Best Tall Building Worldwide – 12th Annual CTBUH Awards (CCTV project)

2012: Best Futura Project – MIPIM Asia Awards (DUO)

2010: Green Mark Gold Plus, Building and Construction Authority (The Interlace)

2010: Best Architecture – Asia Pacific Property Awards (The Interlace)

2008: Architecture’s Ten Best – The New Yorker (CCTV)

2008: Best Building Site – Wallpaper* (CCTV)

2008: Best New Global Design – International Architecture Awards (CCTV)

2008: International Highrise Award, Frankfurt (TVCC, finalist)

2007: The World’s Most Ambitious Projects – The Times (CCTV)

2000: RIBA Silver Medal (Royal Institute of British Architects)

1997: Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes

1990: Scheffel Medal (Student's Award in Baden-Württemberg)