Insurance for a modified car

Jujus

Hello,

If you buy a new car and then modify it (chip tuning to increase its power), do you have to notify the insurance about it?

I was told by a professional tuning garage that it is not needed, however I prefer to double-check on that. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would of thought the only answer is to ask the insurance company you are insured with.

Sounds quite logical, maybe I should do that. However, maybe they'll take the opportunity to charge me more when it's actually not necessary... As the answer depends on the person for pretty much everything, based on my own experience.

18 minutes ago, Jujus said:

Sounds quite logical, maybe I should do that. However, maybe they'll take the opportunity to charge me more when it's actually not necessary... As the answer depends on the person for pretty much everything, based on my own experience.

The other thing is if the main dealer you by the car from spot it they may well void warranty on the engine associated parts to which the chip controls.

Direct Asia insurance state this on mods so you would assume OK on an engine chip.

No, we will not pay you for your modifications since these will have been done by you or a previous owner after the car was first registered. We will only cover you for the original standard equipment by the maker or distributor and we can decide whether to replace or repair these items or pay you the cost to do this. However, if you take up the optional benefit of My Accessories, we will cover you for the modified accessories with additional premium. However, all these modified accessories have to be LTA compliant and/or approved.

Here is a list of LTA compliant car accessories that you can insure: Air intake/exhaust system Body kit Car camera In-vehicle entertainment system Rims/tyres Solar film Suspension/stabiliser system

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The other thing is if the main dealer you by the car from spot it they may well void warranty on the engine associated parts to which the chip controls.

Direct Asia insurance state this on mods so you would assume OK on an engine chip.

No, we will not pay you for your modifications since these will have been done by you or a previous owner after the car was first registered. We will only cover you for the original standard equipment by the maker or distributor and we can decide whether to replace or repair these items or pay you the cost to do this. However, if you take up the optional benefit of My Accessories, we will cover you for the modified accessories with additional premium. However, all these modified accessories have to be LTA compliant and/or approved.

Here is a list of LTA compliant car accessories that you can insure: Air intake/exhaust system Body kit Car camera In-vehicle entertainment system Rims/tyres Solar film Suspension/stabiliser system

Very interesting, thank you. That I have to pay for the parts I modified if they get damaged is one thing, but my main concern is if there is an accident and the insurance just walks away entirely for that reason.

As for the warranty, I was already fully aware of that and you are totally right.

Well that was from one insurance company and they didn't state anything else about mods to engine other than only OEM of vehicle would be covered in accordance with policy taken out.

Personally l would say in an accident unless it was found that the chip malfunction and it was confirmed that it resulted in the cause of the accident,  yep for sure they would clap their hands.

If you're really concerned for peace of mind then your back to my first post.  :D