Hinckley starts full-time life in Virginia on Sept. 10

webfact

AP NEWSBREAK: Hinckley starts full-time life in Va. Sept. 10

By JESSICA GRESKO

WASHINGTON (AP) — The man who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan 35 years ago will leave a Washington psychiatric hospital to live full-time in Virginia on Sept. 10, his lawyer said Thursday.

A federal judge ruled in July that 61-year-old John Hinckley Jr. is not a danger to himself or to others and can leave St. Elizabeths Hospital to live full-time at his mother's home in Williamsburg, Virginia. At the time, Judge Paul L. Friedman ruled Hinckley could leave the hospital as soon as Aug. 5.

Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity in the 1981 shooting of Reagan, who died in 2004, his press secretary James Brady, who died in 2014, and two law enforcement officers outside a Washington hotel. In his July 27 ruling, Friedman wrote that Hinckley was a "profoundly troubled 25-year-old young man" when he shot Reagan in an effort to impress actress Jodie Foster, but he has not exhibited symptoms of major depression or psychotic disorder for more than two decades.

Friedman has gradually given Hinckley more freedom over the past decade, allowing him to spend longer and longer stretches at his mother's home. For the past two-plus years, he has spent the majority of his time there: 17 days each month.

Hinckley's long-time lawyer Barry Levine on Thursday called Hinckley's departure from the hospital "a milestone" that was the result of a commitment by Hinckley and his family to "responsibly deal with disease."

"People of goodwill should celebrate his achievement and success," Levine said.

Levine said of his client: "I think he will be a citizen about whom we can all be proud."

Friedman's ruling says Hinckley will have to live for at least a year with his mother, Jo Ann, in her house in the gated community of Kingsmill. After that, he could move out and live on his own, with a roommate or in a group house.

Hinckley, who has been occasionally trailed by the Secret Service while in Williamsburg, must also find at least part-time employment or volunteer work. He will also have to participate in individual and group therapy, and he'll have to return to Washington at least once a month so doctors can evaluate his mental state. He is also limited in where he can travel. The conditions of his leave will be re-evaluated in 12 to 18 months and some requirements could be modified or dropped.

At the time of Friedman's ruling, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis wrote in an article in The Washington Post that she was "not at all comfortable with the decision" to let Hinckley live full-time in Virginia but she was resigned to it. Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy and District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahanty, who were injured in the shooting, expressed similar resignation to the decision in interviews with the AP in July.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-02

So he will be living in a gated community......I wonder if the other residents were asked if they were okay with this guy living here? Though it sounds like he has been staying there off and on for a while. Not sure I would happy with a former nut living close by.

32 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

@bangkapi, maybe they taught him how to shoot while at the hospital. Wasn't too good of a shot before. Perhaps a larger caliber would have helped, maybe the CIA fitted him out with one...lol.

@bangkapi, maybe they taught him how to shoot while at the hospital. Wasn't too good of a shot before. Perhaps a larger caliber would have helped, maybe the CIA fitted him out with one...lol.

Maybe they gave him a smaller calibre to make a point. Not kill just scare. Unfortunately with the Kennedy brothers it was meant to be lethal. We just could not have a president that wanted to print his own money and put the might Fed out of business that would never do. Also a president that wanted to end a war and bring the boys home. That did not sit to well with the Dogs of War. Prosperity was theirs not to be interfered with and it continues to this very day. 

Well, he is probably not interested in Jodie Foster anymore, once he found out she is a Lesbian. Not sure what it is like to spend all his time in a psychiatric hospital but I guess it is better than jail and the food is better to.

I do question how one day a person can be classed as insane to the point he was not competent to stand trial, without being on drugs or alcohol at the time of the shooting, and then one day be all better again. I would think that if you are ever that far gone there is no road back. 

But 35 years is a long time. I wish him well in his job hunting. It is difficult enough being educated and over 60 years old to find a job, let alone telling them you were in prison for 35 years for trying to shoot the President.

Well at least he has a good honest excuse why he hasn't worked so long. When I took a couple of years off because I was sick of working all the time and wanted some time off to relax, they thought I was I was lying and I was in jail or something like that.  

On 9/1/2016 at 9:04 PM, Mansell said:

So he will be living in a gated community......I wonder if the other residents were asked if they were okay with this guy living here? Though it sounds like he has been staying there off and on for a while. Not sure I would happy with a former nut living close by.

IMHO this is where many get it so wrong

It is never a problem defending against a known nut

It is a problem when the one you never expected to be a nut comes up to whisper in your ear