Marriage visa.....NOT

3 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Yes but no where does it state what visa the guardian must have.

Read section 2.18

If your daughter is your biological child and you are married to a Thai national, then she can be added to your extension of stay based on marriage as a dependant.

Police Order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en - immigration.pdf

3 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Yes but no where does it state what visa the guardian must have.

It sounds like you are after an extension of stay (not a visa) for your daughter off the back of your own extension of stay (not a visa) under reason for extension 2.20. If your extension is based on marriage to a Thai your daughter cannot get an extension off the back of it, however, if you have an extension of stay based on retirement she can.

You will see below that 2.22 (retirement) is listed but 2.18 (marriage) isn't.

2.20 In the case of being a family member of an alien permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom under Criteria 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17, 2.21, 2.22, 2.26, or 2.29 hereof or Section 34(1) (2) and (7) including family of alien granted non- immigration visa which contains “A” letter at the end of visa code, (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children) except for Non- Immigrant code L-A: 

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Read section 2.18

If your daughter is your biological child and you are married to a Thai national, then she can be added to your extension of stay based on marriage as a dependant.

Police Order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en - immigration.pdf

If applying under 2.18 the daughter would only qualify if under 20, and would be granted an extension in her own right as the step daughter of a Thai national.

An extension for the daughter based on an extension of the father would have to be applied for under 2.20. This is where the 'marriage extension' becomes an issue.

8 hours ago, elviajero said:
If applying under 2.18 the daughter would only qualify if under 20, and would be granted an extension in her own right as the step daughter of a Thai national.

An extension for the daughter based on an extension of the father would have to be applied for under 2.20. This is where the 'marriage extension' becomes an issue.

Both are the same. She gets her own extension in both cases.
And both have the same age requirement.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Both are the same. She gets her own extension in both cases.

You know what I meant. 2.18 would be an extension in her own right as opposed to 2.20 which is an extension based on someone else extension. And an extension under 2.20 would be limited to the remaining term of the other persons extension.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no combination of income and money in the bank allowed for an extension based upon marriage.

There are reports of Bangkok immigration allowing a combination in certain cases. But those are rarely done.

Thanks Joe, that confirms what I thought,

F&%£in annoying though, don't really like being on a non B rather than a marriage extention....

OK I have heard enough, and thanks for the many helpful comments.

Needless to say, I gave been given the wrong advice up front from immigration and a law office involved in immigration/visa. You don't automatically know all this stuff beforehand and depend on advice from the, so called, experts. (here I am talking about immigration and lawyers)

I believe my problem has now been sorted down a slightly different route, ie an Ed visa. This will work for longer than the dependent type visa anyway, requirements being satisfied.

It is my intention to get my daughter formally adopted by my wife and then apply for citizenship for her, which may the only way for me to try for a stable future for her, she is really a Thai girl now. My lawyer in Bangkok says all this is fine and can be finalised by  the time she is about 16 or 17. We'll see how this goes.

I have read before about the visa versus extension on here. I was actually told by immigration that I was switching to a marriage visa from retirement visa. Nothing about extensions. I couldn't get an extension on something I didn't have yet. I was surprised when they told me this. Thanks Joe and others for your responses. The idea was to get the work permit to allow me to volunteer legally. I will talk to immigration tomorrow, but do not have much hope they will change anything. If I stick with what I have now, next year I may well be living in Lopburi immigration area, and try again there for the marriage deal. I will let you know what the response is tomorrow.

Primarily a Visa is obtained from an Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand and allows entry into Thailand for a specific amount of time dependant on the Visa type.

Providing you obtained a Non Imm type Visa to enter Thailand, towards the expiry of that Visa, you can extend the permission to stay that the original Visa allowed. The conditions of the Visa cannot be extended, but local Immigration can extend the number of days you are permitted to stay.

A Non Imm O multi entry Visa allows a stay of beyond 12 months if used correctly. Local Immigration can extend your permission to stay in Thailand for another 365 days (subject to meeting the requirements). You lose the multi entry facility of that expired Visa, which is why you have to get a re-entry permit to go along with the extension, so effectively you have a 1 year multi entry permit, not a Visa.

The maximum allowed period to stay in Thailand is 90 days, then you must either depart and return to start the next 90 day period, or report to your local Immigration office.

Immigration quite often use the term 'Marriage Visa' or 'Retirement Visa' for ease of speech. Not being native English speakers, the term 'an extension of stay based on marriage/retirement' is quite a mouthful to remember.

last time i was at  immigration Hua Hin re applying for extension of stay  due to  marriage they told me next year I should change it to retirement, they were really pushing this on me and I dont want it.

Anyone else had this? comments of "less work" for them and a comment there off the officer of " more  HiSo" were  funny.

15 minutes ago, kannot said:

last time i was at  immigration Hua Hin re applying for extension of stay  due to  marriage they told me next year I should change it to retirement, they were really pushing this on me and I dont want it.

Anyone else had this? comments of "less work" for them and a comment there off the officer of " more  HiSo" were  funny.

That cannot really push you to do an extension based upon retirement unless you show the financial proof to get one. Be sure you show less than 65k baht of income or less than 800k baht in the bank.

So I went back to Phuket Immigration with my Thai wife. Basically they kept pointing at the top of the original retirement visa I got in California and entered the country in Jan 2015, and what was written there in Thai along the top. They told me that I can switch to a marriage extension in my second year here after my first extension finishes, in other words, Sept 2017. Does this fit in with what everybody has experienced before, or is it bogus? My question to them was why didn't anybody tell us this last week? No response.

Oddly last Wed they told us somebody would be coming out to check on us where we lived on Sat afternoon. Of course that did not happen. The complicated machinations of Thai Immigration Offices.

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

So I went back to Phuket Immigration with my Thai wife. Basically they kept pointing at the top of the original retirement visa I got in California and entered the country in Jan 2015, and what was written there in Thai along the top. They told me that I can switch to a marriage extension in my second year here after my first extension finishes, in other words, Sept 2017. Does this fit in with what everybody has experienced before, or is it bogus? My question to them was why didn't anybody tell us this last week? No response.

Oddly last Wed they told us somebody would be coming out to check on us where we lived on Sat afternoon. Of course that did not happen. The complicated machinations of Thai Immigration Offices.

It sounds like an excuse to me rather than a valid reason.