Police union: Officers may boycott 49ers over Kaepernick

rooster59

Police union: Officers may boycott 49ers over Kaepernick

SAN JOSE, California (AP) — The union for police officers who work San Francisco home games says its members may boycott policing the stadium if the 49ers don't discipline Colin Kaepernick for refusing to stand during the national anthem and for his statements about law enforcement.

A letter from the Santa Clara Police Officers Association sent to the 49ers was obtained Friday by KNTV-TV, the NBC affiliate in San Jose.

It says that Kaepernick's protest has "threatened our harmonious working relationship" with the 49ers. About 70 officers from the Santa Clara Police Department patrol Levi's Stadium when the 49ers play there.

"If the 49ers organization fails to take action to stop this type of inappropriate behavior it could result in police officers choosing not to work at your facilities," the letter reads. "The board of directors of the Santa Clara Police Officer's Association has a duty to protect its members and work to make all of their working environments free of harassing behavior."

It also criticized what it called anti-police statements made by Kaepernick, calling them "insulting, inaccurate and completely unsupported by any facts."

It's the latest in the flurry of heated responses — both negative and positive — that Kaepernick has gotten since his silent protest became the talk of the NFL and much of the nation last week.

The quarterback has refused to stand for the anthem at the team's preseason games, most recently taking a knee a game in San Diego on Thursday night, to some boos from the crowd.

He has cited racial injustice and police brutality among the many reasons for his protest.

"The message is that we have a lot of issues in this country that we need to deal with," Kaepernick said after Thursday night's game.

Teammate Eric Reid joined him in the most recent protest and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane showed his support for Kaepernick by sitting on the bench during the anthem in Oakland on Thursday.

Kaepernick has said he plans to continue into the regular season.

While negative reactions have been strong, Kaepernick also has been widely praised for his commitment to his stance. Veterans and military members tweeted their support for Kaepernick in recent days under the hashtag "VeteransForKaepernick."

The team reiterated Friday night that it stands behind Kaepernick and respects his right not to participate in celebrating the national anthem.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-04

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So these guys refuse to protect and serve because somebody used his right to voice his opinion? Land of the free, ROFL

So you think the ball player has the freedom to speak but the police do not?

The police providing security to sporting events is a "moonlighting" job. It is a courtesy that allows the venue to have highly trained and professional security on site. This security is not part of the officers actual job nor is it paid for by tax payers. 

The officers are simply saying we choose not to spend our after-hours time providing security for a franchise that shows us disrespect.

these officers, as employees of he stadium, have a right to work in a harassment free workplace.

Edited by ClutchClark

3 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The police providing security to sporting events is a "moonlighting" job. It is a courtesy that allows the venue to have highly trained and professional security on site. This security is not part of the officers actual job nor is it paid for by tax payers. 

The officers are simply saying we choose not to spend our after-hours time providing security for a franchise that shows us disrespect.

these officers, as employees of he stadium, have a right to work in a harassment free workplace.

Yes, and we wonder why some law enforcement folks might be annoyed that Kap wears socks that depict cops as Pigs?

bd61b9c5f1da6bf44ec4ca22d438c67e

Shame on him! :facepalm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/colin-kaepernicks-choice-of-socks-fueling-fire-hurting-his-message-154902318.html

Can someone please tell me what Kaepernick's salary is? 

How can a guy making 7-digit numbers complain about society not giving black people a fair break? 

He is a ball player--perhaps he should remmeber that is why he is paid--we pay him for his entertainment value. He is offending alot of people and causing disharmony for his franchise by turning an evening of sport into a political rally. 

if he wants to go march in a BLM riot, I mean rally, then fine but don't bring this personal issue to the workplace. Every athlete has a unique identity and the last thing we need is for each athlete to start expressing their own issues on the job.. They are payed to perform a sport.

25 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Can someone please tell me what Kaepernick's salary is? 

How can a guy making 7-digit numbers complain about society not giving black people a fair break? 

He is a ball player--perhaps he should remmeber that is why he is paid--we pay him for his entertainment value. He is offending alot of people and causing disharmony for his franchise by turning an evening of sport into a political rally. 

if he wants to go march in a BLM riot, I mean rally, then fine but don't bring this personal issue to the workplace. Every athlete has a unique identity and the last thing we need is for each athlete to start expressing their own issues on the job.. They are payed to perform a sport.

Colin Kaepernick signed a 6 year, $114,000,000 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $12,328,766 signing bonus, $61,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,000,000. In 2016, Kaepernick will earn a base salary of$11,900,000, a roster bonus of $2,000,000 and a workout bonus of $400,000.

Added supporting link:  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/colin-kaepernick-7751/

First time he plays regulation ball instead of warming the bench he'll most likely go on Injured Reserve. :D

Edited by metisdead
Added supporting link for fair use policy.

1 minute ago, Boon Mee said:

Yes, and we wonder why some law enforcement folks might be annoyed that Kap wears socks that depict cops as Pigs?

bd61b9c5f1da6bf44ec4ca22d438c67e

Shame on him! :facepalm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/colin-kaepernicks-choice-of-socks-fueling-fire-hurting-his-message-154902318.html

This guy obviously has issues above and beyond other athletes who may share similar views but keep it out of the workplace. 

How long would anyone keep employment if he wore items that disrespected fellow employees in the workplace? The workplace has to be absent harassment against all employees. 

Don't bring politics or religion into the workplace.

8 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Indeed it is a "moonlighting"  job for the police officers but I think calling it a courtesy is a generous description.    Police in major metropolitan areas are well paid.   They have every right to choose to forgo this additional income with their protest.

All I've read indicates no rule was broken by  Kap with his refusal to stand.   I wonder under what grounds the NFL or the 49er organization  could possibly punish him.

Wouldn't any punishment border on  infringement of Kaepernick's freedom of expression?

The NFL has lost a lot of respect in recent times.  This Kap scandal highlights their hypocrisy.

Recall the Dallas Cowboys were denied being able to wear a sticker that showed support for officers killed recently but Kap can wear "Cops are Pigs" socks! :facepalm:

Dallas Cowboys are BANNED from wearing a sticker saying 'Arm in Arm' on their helmets in a gesture of support for slain police officers 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3735818/Dallas-Cowboys-BANNED-wearing-sticker-saying-Arm-arm-helmets-gesture-support-slain-police-officers.html

Edited by Boon Mee

6 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Indeed it is a "moonlighting"  job for the police officers but I think calling it a courtesy is a generous description.    Police in major metropolitan areas are well paid.   They have every right to choose to forgo this additional income with their protest.

All I've read indicates no rule was broken by  Kap with his refusal to stand.   I wonder under what grounds the NFL or the 49er organization  could possibly punish him.

Wouldn't any punishment border on  infringement of Kaepernick's freedom of expression?

Thanks for a respectful and insightful post. 

I think it would depend on Kaps contract whether he was in violation of anything. 

Ofcourse, he has broken no actual laws but his behavior is upsetting to fans and I would hazard a guess most of these athletes contracts are contigent on whether they do anything that tarnishes the image of the Club.

if he has any sponsors such as Nike then they could very well cut him loose. 

I think the Human Resources Dept is the best way to move forward just as the officers union is doing. Kap is an employee who is making other employees uncomfortable. No different from a bible-thumper who insists on preaching the word of god to fellow employees agsinst their wishes.

Just now, Boon Mee said:

Here's a better pic of Kap's socks:

Z  

Appropriate or not?  :whistling:

Thsnks for posting.

Can I wear a t-shirt that shows naked breasts in the workplace or a t-shirt that ridicules muslims? 

No. Not only is it in poor taste but it is disrespectful to my co-workers who have a right to a workplace free of persecution. 

2 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Thsnks for posting.

Can I wear a t-shirt that shows naked breasts in the workplace or a t-shirt that ridicules muslims? 

No. Not only is it in poor taste but it is disrespectful to my co-workers who have a right to a workplace free of persecution. 

The only reason Kap can get by with this disgrace is he 'plays' for San Francisco.

If he was playing for the Chargers in San Diego for example, he'd be cut from the team in a NY millisecond.

I think you Americans should campaign to get him deported. He thinks he's some kind of Ali, but is a million miles away. Just some intellectually-challenged, rich hypocrite getting off on exhibitionism. If he really wants to do good, instead of vilifying the cops and talking tripe, perhaps use his 'influence' to persuade blacks (and whites) to stop committing crimes.

3 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

I think you Americans should campaign to get him deported. He thinks he's some kind of Ali, but is a million miles away. Just some intellectually-challenged, rich hypocrite getting off on exhibitionism. If he really wants to do good, instead of vilifying the cops and talking tripe, perhaps use his 'influence' to persuade blacks (and whites) to stop committing crimes.

Trump has already mentioned to this guy that maybe he can find another country better to his liking...:thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

How do you campaign to deport a fellow citizen?

Perhaps he is just showing early signs of the traumatic brain injury prevalent in the sport.

This might have something to do with his sudden decision to attack the police and the United States.

We showed you earlier, 

Colin Kaepernick Muslim Instagram post. Now we’re hearing he’s  transitioning to become a Muslim, according to people close to the player. We received this in our tipbox,  Colin’s girlfriend, Hot 97 DJ Nessa, introduced him to the teachings of Islam, and he’s ready to embrace it fully. Our tipster tells us Kaep and Nessa are going to have a traditional Muslim wedding. Colin seems to be all over the place lately.-TO

http://terezowens.com/colin-kaepernick-converting-to-muslim-for-girlfriend/

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Of course he has every right to voice his opinion. Hopefully something good will come out of the discussion.

He has a right as an American to voice his opinion. 

Whether he has a contractual right by his employer is another story. 

As an Employee, he oes not have a right to prosthletize and make the workplace environment unsafe for others any more than if he were a KKK member. 

The dialogue you speak of does not belong on this stage with paying public wanting entertainment. Thats what this guy is--he is part of the song & dance routine.

Sure, providing his employer agrees, he has the ability to stage his protest, and to be honest, I could care less.

It does seem like a poor career move in that he is in the entertainment industry and so much of his future revenue in the form of sponsors is based on likeability. Public relations and how people like the person are what determines his market worth. The real source to post football income is sponsors and he seems to be very shortsighted in that regard. It seems like he could have made a more positive impact by setting up a foundation or scholarship fund like LeBron James has done.

That likability stuff is a big deal - think Michael Jordan and Peyton Manning vs some angry ex-athletes we never hear from again.
Edited by SpokaneAl

I would stand, as a player (fat chance) and in the audience. Heck, I would stand for any national anthem just as a courtesy. I think he voices valid issues but his tactic is questionable. However, he has every right not to stand unless it's against NFL rules which it's not. If it was, he could still not stand, but would have to accept the NFL punishment. I think the police are being stupid threatening action. They're not endorsing his action by policing the event. They have a duty to the public to do their job. They may have a right to strike, over pay and work conditions, but they don't have the right to impose their false impression of what civil rights citizens have which BTW include what this player is doing.

On the balance of things, I'm more offended by the police trying to bully citizens exercising their rights of protest than the non-standers.

Saying this as someone that did not say the "pledge of allegiance" in class as a schoolboy as a protest against the Vietnam war. My logic is that's different. Still stood for the anthem when going to ballgames back then! 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I would stand, as a player (fat chance) and in the audience. Heck, I would stand for any national anthem just as a courtesy. I think he voices valid issues but his tactic is questionable. However, he has every right not to stand unless it's against NFL rules which it's not. If it was, he could still not stand, but would have to accept the NFL punishment. I think the police are being stupid threatening action. They're not endorsing his action. They have a duty to the public. On the balance of things, I'm more offended by the police trying to bully citizens exercising their rights of protest than the non-standers.

Saying this as someone that did not say the "pledge of allegiance" in class as a schoolboy as a protest against the Vietnam war. My logic is that's different. Still stood for the anthem when going to ballgames back then! 

Most 'normal' folks do.

This guy's an idiot...:blink:

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Why is he going this?
Captain Crusader?
"Stick to the football, son".

It would appear his radical Muslim fiance has persuaded him to embrace Islam. 

Interesting that a millionaire ball player, who have achieved high wealth and a very nice life, turns on the institutions that provided that opportunity.

There is something wrong with the policing in some American officers and forces for sure. But there is also something wrong in many African- American communities. Just look at the amount of black on black violence. Many have developed huge chips on their shoulders and that is being exploited by radicals, and in some cases Muslim extremists, who fuel their disgruntled believe in entitlement.

In the UK, if a black person commits any offence and you comment or suggest the police should act you are immediately accused of being racist, no matter what the person has done. 

He is entitled to his beliefs and to protest of course. But notice he doesn't want to give up his seat on the gravy train in protest!

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would stand, as a player (fat chance) and in the audience. Heck, I would stand for any national anthem just as a courtesy. I think he voices valid issues but his tactic is questionable. However, he has every right not to stand unless it's against NFL rules which it's not. If it was, he could still not stand, but would have to accept the NFL punishment. I think the police are being stupid threatening action. They're not endorsing his action by policing the event. They have a duty to the public to do their job. They may have a right to strike, over pay and work conditions, but they don't have the right to impose their false impression of what civil rights citizens have which BTW include what this player is doing.

On the balance of things, I'm more offended by the police trying to bully citizens exercising their rights of protest than the non-standers.

Jing,

The police union is not suggesting that the police are going to refuse to respond to emergencies at the sports venue. 

Some members of the police force are currently hired out to provide security "moonlighting". They are threatening to refuse providing these security detail services in the future.