Top Thai Scrabble players disappointed at 2016 world championships

webfact

Top Thai Scrabble players disappointed at 2016 world championships

LILLE: -- Top Thai Scrabble players who competed at the MSI World Scrabble Championships in Lille, France, were left disappointed after a week of competition playing the world’s favorite word game.

Bangkok computer programmer Komol Panyasophonlert, 30, who was seeded second could manage only 26th and Chiang Mai doctor Jakkrit Klaphajone, 46, finished in 61st place in the 72 person field. 

British resident of Bangkok Gerry Carter, 55, who was also representing Thailand, finished in 29th position.

The event played to a conclusion at the Grand Palais in the northern French town on Sunday when Brett Smitherham and former world champion Mark Nyman, who used to produce the English TV show Countdown, played out the best of five final.

Brett, from London, won 3-0 with the winning board containing the 176 point word BRACONID (a family of flies).

The world’s highest ranked player, Nigel Richards of New Zealand, 48, failed to make the top ten.

While the adult world championships were dominated by players from Europe and North America the World Youth Championships were dominated by Asians with Pakistani children taking many of the awards. Their youngest player was just eight years old.

A Thai player earlier finished fourth in the youth championships. The events were sponsored by Mindsports International and full details can be viewed on their website at www.mindsportsacademy.com

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-05

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Well who would have thought it, both finalists come from the place where the English language emerged : the UK.

Logically you'd have thought so, but most Scrabble games are won by those with an extensive knowledge of obscure two and three letter words of which the players probably have no idea of the meaning.

7 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Zoot Allors! and ich bin ein Berliner,! 

I thought that the language Anglaise was a mixture of Norse,French,German,and some latin.But then i only speak Cockney,so what would i know.

Mene mene tekel ufarin

Pedant of the week: Ich bin ein Berliner actually means "I am a jam doughnut", which may account for the  roar of delight from the Berlin crowds when President Kennedy stood up and said that...

11 minutes ago, JAG said:

Pedant of the week: Ich bin ein Berliner actually means "I am a jam doughnut", which may account for the  roar of delight from the Berlin crowds when President Kennedy stood up and said that...

And very tasty they are too.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well who would have thought it, both finalists come from the place where the English language emerged : the UK.

Nope. Sorry Tuddy.

English emerged in what today is North-West Germany, the Netherlands and Denmark.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

jag

jag,old son,i thought it was bill clinton that said that.:cheesy:Great translation though.

Kennedy said it when he declared US resolve that West Berlin should remain free, in 1963 (?). I'm sure that Bill Clinton (remember "Clinton Plaza" - classic) trotted it out as well when he visited.

What they should have said was "Ich bin Berliner  ". Simple mistake, but hilarious when the leader of the free world announces he is a doughnut, and the world is watching!

Everyone new what he meant! In Clintons case many believed him.:D

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Uh oh. I suggest you Google "Jelly doughnut misconception" .

57 minutes ago, pee paub said:

Uh oh. I suggest you Google "Jelly doughnut misconception" .

Interesting!

I was told the story by a German. A language teacher who taught me German whilst I was stationed in West Germany with the British Army. He was employed by the British Army. 1979 I think it was, when I did the course.

16 minutes ago, JAG said:

Interesting!

I was told the story by a German. A language teacher who taught me German whilst I was stationed in West Germany with the British Army. He was employed by the British Army. 1979 I think it was, when I did the course.

Odd that he would tell you that.

7 minutes ago, pee paub said:

Odd that he would tell you that.

He was a fairly odd chap from what I remember - In his late 50s and rather reticent about his past. I seem to recall that he had ended up in Germany at the end of the war - Volksdeutsche rather than Reichsdeutsche, is that the term? We rather thought he was like a character from  John le Carré's novel "A Small Town in Germany". 

I do remember that he always wore a British Army HD Pullover, which he had dyed blue.

It was rather a long time ago.

Heres a question.

Can anyone tell me what dictionaries are used in this Thai scrabble competition.Some Thai's who have attended private education would have selected the English or American programmes.Which gives thought to whether the websters or collins dictionaries would have been used to clarify the spelling of certain words.,spelled out for point accumulation.IE Honour as opposed to Honor,Labour and Labor etc.As the Thais have always maintained that English is not their second language,how did they get over this one.

I am confused and always will be.