Work permit to see my wife...

3 hours ago, eskatonia said:

If you're going to go in there and help out a little then why not just get a work permit?  You're married so you only need two thai staff and your wife is one of them.  List yourself as a "manager" then you're sorted.

No it doesn't work like that. The official definition of work is quote,

"WORK : the engagement in work by exerting energy or using knowledge for purpose of obtaining wages or other benefits"

interesting link: 

http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/index.php/en/

again a lot of b**lshit here about this topic. no police can you fine, only immigration and it will go to court. 

helping your wife is not work, especially if it is a help what takes minutes,  definition of work is different from helping somebody.

but here the people like to share rumors and stupid opinions.

abd I know what i am talking about, I had 6 officer from IMO in our restaurant, and I not paid anything or get any problem

5 hours ago, eskatonia said:

If you're going to go in there and help out a little then why not just get a work permit?  You're married so you only need two thai staff and your wife is one of them.  List yourself as a "manager" then you're sorted.

sounds like you got off lightly. i got done with the wrong address in my work permit. cost me about 80 000thb. how much was the fine? a work permit will run you more than 100 000thb per year so it is cheaper to just not do any work here. paid or unpaid.

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

again a lot of b**lshit here about this topic. no police can you fine, only immigration and it will go to court. 

helping your wife is not work, especially if it is a help what takes minutes,  definition of work is different from helping somebody.

abd I know what i am talking about, I had 6 officer from IMO in our restaurant, and I not paid anything or get any problem

i have been working for a franchise in thailand for the last 9 years. almost every location of the franchise has been raided by cops or labor office officers. it is almost impossible to tell where they come from. almost every time they want a fine on the spot. gotta pay it or you have to go through the courts. i ended up going through the courts. trust me it is better to pay a fine up front.

5 hours ago, eskatonia said:

oh yeah.....  I wish it was that easy.   The "business" must also make a yearly profit of over a million baht or some crazy amount in order to hire a foreigner..... and I am sure there are other hoops to jump through as well, like depending on what country your from, your monthly salary must show something like 40,000 - 60,000 baht.  of course my words here are not exact quotes, but I tried to get hired by a friend's business last year and it was not possible for many reasons, mostly being the one about the yearly profit of the business.  Please correct me if I am wrong, or you can shed some light on that cave.

Thanks Mansell for backing my story up, although the fine amount wasn't quite that much. but the story is not BS, it happened. I don't know if someone complained or business is real slow for cops in Phuket. So, the plan is to get a work permit after a little more investigation and also see if it just wasn't a set up by an annoyed competitor,  there were some "farangs" working nearby that were new and possibly got harassed  at some time or another and now they may have a hard on to have others harassed as well. I don't know, just looking at reasons,  the interesting thing is that due to my polynesian and asian coloring, I usually can pass for Thai,  I have paid 20 baht to enter most  of the parks as long as i shut up and let my wife buy the tickets, I was quite surprised to see them "coming after me".

I appreciate the comments and information, and I know it sounds simple to just say, "don't work" I am happy to do nothing there, but when the boss (wife) says help, what do men normally do?, I may just go talk to the police in a few days and see if I can make friends and find out what really prompted this, and yeah, they shoot pictures first and ask questions later. It's difficult for me just to sit at home, or ride my motorcycle all the time, if the business does well enough, what does it matter?

For certain transgressions, eg some types of traffic violations, littering, smoking where it is forbidden, etc the police have the authority to collect a fine on the spot according to a list they have been given. For everything else they have the authority to pass the case on to the public prosecutor for an arrest warrant and presentation in court for a bail hearing or to decide not to investigate and let you go free.

5 hours ago, Jaybot said:

oh yeah.....  I wish it was that easy.   The "business" must also make a yearly profit of over a million baht or some crazy amount in order to hire a foreigner..... and I am sure there are other hoops to jump through as well, like depending on what country your from, your monthly salary must show something like 40,000 - 60,000 baht.  of course my words here are not exact quotes, but I tried to get hired by a friend's business last year and it was not possible for many reasons, mostly being the one about the yearly profit of the business.  Please correct me if I am wrong, or you can shed some light on that cave.

Requirements may differ between labour departments, but most of the requirements you mention relate to getting an extension of stay for employment from immigration. Basic rules there are minimum salary paid tax on (50,000 for W. European), 4 Thai staff on the payroll (2 if married to a Thai) and enough turnover to pay the foreigner the salary. For a workpermit there is no set requirement of a minimum salary and number of staff. 

The company I work for has been making a loss for 8 years straight, still getting my workpermit and extension. Heck, if this Thai company wants to keep putting new money into an obvious failing business, who am I to object, nor immigration or the labour department for that matter, as long as everyone is being paid. 

Extortion; a Thai police 'mafia thing', that I think you've heard of. I could be wrong, but ask your wife if she's been asked to pay tribute to the officer who tends ('walks the beat') in her shop's area. And, if so, she said: "No"; maybe, you are an example of what he will do if she doesn't comply. Again, could be wrong, but this happens a lot in the bar areas.

I still think there is more to this story. Any chance of finding out where this happened, what type of business, etc ?

If its a shop selling mobile phone cases in a quiet soi, in a remote village, police wouldn't care less. If its a girly bar in walking st, then of course police would take an interest. Is the curtain hanging an isolated incident , or is there a history of doing lots of "work" at the business.

I recall a story from another forum were a guy was saying how he got fined for driving some friends to the airport. It turned out that the guy owned a minivan and was driving "friends" to the airport 3 times a day.

I have not been to her shop in over a month, I was there perhaps 30 minutes, and prior to my "incident" I had brought out a chair to be cleaned for her.

Yes, but if they were walking past and saw you performing some bit of work in a shop that was obviously being fitted out, how are they to know (and how are we to know) that was the only work you had done? Of course you told us, and either you or your wife told them, that you hadn't been in the shop in a month and only did one little thing, but wouldn't that be what someone caught in your position would say even if he had been working for days on end?

I'm not questioning your honesty, but they would need to proceed on what they saw you doing, not what you claimed. They could hardly be expected to mount surveillance of the shop 24/7 for months to see if you were or were not working there.

The timing of their appearance may have been fortuitous or maybe someone holds a grudge against you or your wife and pointed the police in that direction alleging that you were working there in the hope of causing trouble for you, but the fact remains when they entered the shop you were working. 

On 9/5/2016 at 8:01 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

a work permit will run you more than 100 000thb per year so it is cheaper to just not do any work here. paid or unpaid.

No it does not, it costs 5000 THB .  Of course you must be paying the social taxes for four thai's to get your extension but if they're employed legit and generating income for you thats not a cost of your own work permit. Perhaps you mean paying the social tax on four thais when you don't actually employ anyone costs 100,000 a year?

2 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

No it does not, it costs 5000 THB .  Of course you must be paying the social taxes for four thai's to get your extension but if they're employed legit and generating income for you thats not a cost of your own work permit. Perhaps you mean paying the social tax on four thais when you don't actually employ anyone costs 100,000 a year?

First issue is 3100 Baht and then 3000 Baht a year thereafter.

24 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

i had a work permit for 8 years. i used an agency to get it as it is very difficult. paid 25000thb, part of that may have been bribes. then there was social payments on 4 thai workers. (i am not including the thai sallaries)then there was income tax on my income, then annual book keeping fee. then company taxes. i never managed to pay less than 100 000thb. every year it got harder and more expensive. 

31 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

First issue is 3100 Baht and then 3000 Baht a year thereafter.

would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever gone to the chonburi labor office to get their own work permit. i always used an agency. as a small business owner i always used an agency to make sure it was done properly. had troubles in the past that became very expensive.

just a note. dont do anything in thailand that may be seen as any form of work unless you have the correct work permit. very suspicious this guy got caught. i would wager it was a setup.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen
  • Like 1