Thais heavily drawn to discount pricing

Jonathan Fairfield

E-COMMERCE
Thais heavily drawn to discount pricing
The Nation

30294555-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Nearly eighty per cent of Thais are influenced to shop impulsively from online merchants when prices are lower, according to a Mastercard survey.

Mastercard's Online Shopping Index 2015 has identified that 75.8 per cent of those surveyed said they often shop compulsively as they are attracted to low prices or substantial discounts offered via online channels, second only to shoppers in the Philippines, who came in first at 76.4 per cent.

This price competitiveness factor is considered to be the number one driver in shoppers' online decision making in Thailand and other Asia Pacific countries. Other factors which trigger impulse shopping online include advertisements and promotions (56.2 per cent) and unique products available only online (48.7 per cent).

Tax exemption schemes during the festive seasons and long additional holidays and breaks have encouraged Thais to spend their earnings on dining, shopping and travelling, according to the survey.

The index also reports that clothing and accessories are the items that most often trigger impulse shopping (44.7 per cent), followed by beauty and personal care products (34.6 per cent) and toys & gifts (31.9 per cent).

The websites visited most often by Thai consumers include Facebook, leading at 72 per cent, followed by Youtube (54.4 per cent) and Google (33 per cent) respectively.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Thais-heavily-drawn-to-discount-pricing-30294555.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-05

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Wow! Incredible! What a revelation!

So people are actually more ready to buy a product when it's been heavily discounted?

Who'd have thought...

NO that's not what the article is about - " they often shop compulsively"

In fact shops in Thailand really seem to offer genuine discounts, most are obviously controlled by the supplier and are uniform. mant a just false - especially the "2 for 1 scams where an items single price mysteriously resembles the price of 2 from prior to the offer.

29 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

NO that's not what the article is about - " they often shop compulsively"

In fact shops in Thailand really seem to offer genuine discounts, most are obviously controlled by the supplier and are uniform. mant a just false - especially the "2 for 1 scams where an items single price mysteriously resembles the price of 2 from prior to the offer.

True. Other incentive to purchase online - for those who have access to the internet - are guarantees, variety of items available, and certainly convenience.   Several outlet i.e. DoHome, Home Pro have web pages and online shopping but I've found them somewhat difficult to navigate and not offering any English translations. Maybe someday Thailand will devalue it's interest in monopolizes along with more free trade. Maybe my view is skewed b/c of living in a remote village with Khonkaen a/b 75 K distance from us. Around here the mind-set seems to be "take it or leave it" we're the only "game in town." 

My two attempts at online shopping with Thai websites were interesting!

The first I bank transferred. Two days later the websites domain name expired and the site shut down. I never got my order and the bank said they couldn't help. Lost my money.

The second I used PayPal. Supplier delivered only a third of the order. A few days of fighting then I brought PayPal in. The supplier backed off and fulfilled the order.

Moral...never pay COD or bank transfer. Use PayPal or credit card where you have some backup.

Thais are completely mad about discounts. Girlfriend who had not been riding a bicycle for over ten years, saw a 50% discounted folding bike for 2000 Bt and bought it! She told me it was still in the box. So when I unpacked and fitted to ride, I told her, here is 2500 Bt, so you make a profit but never do this again as it was completely unsafe to ride when I showed her the flex on the brakes that would never stop you in time.