Samsung-Apple best of the rest?

Anythingleft?

Looking to but a new phone in Thailand current phone Samsung 5S, are there any  decent alternatives to the top Samsung and Apple options?

What are the best other alternatives out there? mainly used for browsing internet and internet telephone calls (sometimes video calling) and making memos. Always found the Samsung super easy to navigate and use, should I even change brands?

Any advice welcomed..

13 minutes ago, sulasno said:

I hate Samsung but still using a cheap model emoji23.png
Stick to the popular models for peer support

The next phone that I buy must support volte

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I noticed my S7 has this volte thingo. what is it ?

VoLTE

Probably the last important feature when evaluating a smartphone.

V = voice !!!

Best quality codecs need about 24 kBit/s, Yes KILO-bit

What do I need xxx MBit/s technology to transmit voice?

What does it bother me how the provider transports this tiny bandwidth and what advantage it has for them.

Edited by KhunBENQ

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

VoLTE

Probably the last important feature when evaluating a smartphone.

V = voice !!!

Best quality codecs need about 24 kBit/s, Yes KILO-bit

What do I need xxx MBit/s technology to transmit voice?

Still trying to work out if this is in fact advice and whether it helps me in any way :blink:

What's wrong with the S5? That's a very under-rated phone IMO. Your application requirements seem quite basic, and could be addressed by a 5,000 baht phone.

What do you think you need that the S5 doesn't offer (this is key to understanding) that other models do?

If you're daring you can get a Google Nexus 5X here for 10,990 (32 GB), or a 6P for 14,990 (32 GB). (Grey market, Asia version, no warranty).

Re: VoLTE both parties need to be VoLTE-capable and enabled, and on the same carrier: odds of that happening: ?

The audio quality using LINE is vastly superior to VoLTE I've used in the U.S., IMLE.

VoLTE means the phones don't have to re-negotiate from 4G (LTE) down to 3G to make/receive a voice call, which can take a long (30 seconds) time. It's less about audio quality, which in most mobile environments (public, car, etc.) is less of an issue.

Even a feature like LTE-CA (referenced in post #11: which allows for the aggregation of two or three data channels, so speeds up to 450 Mbps) which are supported here, or will be shortly, may require higher-end phones, and being on a specific plan.

Edited by mtls2005

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What's wrong with the S5? That's a very under-rated phone IMO. Your application requirements seem quite basic, and could be addressed by a 5,000 baht phone.

What do you think you need that the S5 doesn't offer (this is key to understanding) that other models do?

Really not too sure but looking today I feel that you may be right and the phone I have is underused so I'm thinking of going for a cheaper version now that will cover just what I need, there was another post somewhere for cheaper phone comparisons so off to have a look

Thanks for all the comments

58 minutes ago, sulasno said:

True has an app for wifi calling for postpaid customers

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H all offer/support Voice over WiFi. This service, which has fairly limited appeal, is limited to specific hardware platforms - and not all providers/plans offer this feature. This feature is probably best in tall buildings where mobile signals may not reach, or in those areas without mobile coverage. Obviously you need WiFi coverage, and you can't move very far. ;)

On 07/09/2016 at 9:39 AM, Lockheed said:

Had an S5 until it got stolen in Cuba. Replaced it with a Moto G3. Better than both Samsung or Apple unless you want to impress.

Better in what way?

My Samsung appears to be double the spec of the G3 in pretty much every department and is made of premium materials.

On 9/6/2016 at 6:21 PM, Anythingleft? said:

Really not too sure but looking today I feel that you may be right and the phone I have is underused so I'm thinking of going for a cheaper version now that will cover just what I need, there was another post somewhere for cheaper phone comparisons so off to have a look

Thanks for all the comments

Have you upgraded the S5 to Marshmallow?  In my opinion Samsung S5 and Note 4 are still the best phones available.  

I just recently bought a new S5 and Note 4.  Compare with the new phones and look for IR blaster, waterproof and removable battery as opposed to explode able among other things.

Edited by Scotwight

Not sure what the OP's budget is, that's one of those key things to identify otherwise these sorts of threads are wild shots in the dark, but there are a whole ton of Snapdragon 820 phones, in the 17,000 range which are pretty awesome.

OnePlus 3

ZTE Axon 7

LeEco Le Max 2

ZUK Z2 Pro

Xiaomi Mi5 & Mi 5 Pro

Vivo XPlay 5

ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe

Moto Z and Moto Z Force

The OnePlus 3 has monster specs, and a really nice OS. 

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not sure what the OP's budget is, that's one of those key things to identify otherwise these sorts of threads are wild shots in the dark, but there are a whole ton of Snapdragon 820 phones, in the 17,000 range which are pretty awesome.

OnePlus 3

ZTE Axon 7

LeEco Le Max 2

ZUK Z2 Pro

Xiaomi Mi5 & Mi 5 Pro

Vivo XPlay 5

ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe

Moto Z and Moto Z Force

The OnePlus 3 has monster specs, and a really nice OS. 

Does the OnePlus3 have a removable battery, memory slot up to 256k, USB3 and waterproof like the old Galaxy S5?  

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/OnePlus-3,Samsung-Galaxy-S5/phones/10017,8202

Does the OnePlus3 have a removable battery, memory slot up to 256k, USB3 and waterproof like the old Galaxy S5? 

No clue, are these some of the OP's requirements? 

The SGS5, at 10,500 is a great buy (maybe not so easy to find - and if it's been sitting in the box for two years then obviously having a replaceable battery is a huge plus), but it is now nearly 3 year old technology. (I had an SGS5 for a while and thought it was OK, but the software is horrible.)