Volunteer Visa for Wat

Hi,

One of the local temples has asked me to teach English Language to some kids at the temple.

Obviously it will all be volunteering as I have no intention of charging, it would be a chance for me to practice the teachings of Dana.

The thing is, I am pretty sure I need a volunteer visa for this sort of thing and currently only qualify for a TR.

What would be the correct way to go about doing this? I found a thread from about 2008 but was hoping there might be someone with more recent information.

I could not be an official 'teacher' as such as I only have a TEFL, HND, 20 A-levels and about 30 GCSEs, I never got a bachelors degree because I never needed one before.

The temple has a school for the monks, and I would be expected to volunteer there.

I would also like to do other things at the Wat such as cooking and cleaning and other religious activities which are considered 'work' so would I also have to list these for a possible work permit?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

You can get a single entry non-o visa for volunteer work without a lot of paperwork. But getting the work permit and extensions of stay after that gets more complicated.

You will need supporting documents from the temple and then some from provincial level office that the temple comes under. It will require contacting the provincial  work permit office to find out what is required.

• Like 2

Likewise, the Abbot for the largest temple in the hometown of my wife, asked her, that should we retire in Thailand to the family estate, would I donate time to teach the novice monks some basic English.

To provide this act of altruism, I suspect there would be many hurdles and hoops to jump over and through by me meeting the request with recognized legitimacy.

I am of the opinion that should we retire there and the subject is again raised, then the shoe be put on the other foot and have the Abbot / Temple do the legwork, obtain the WP, deal with all officialdom etc.. on my behalf.

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe, coming to the rescue again :) I will chat to the temple and see what they can do. I have until November until my next visa issue, so there's time to sort it out. I obviously won't start until everything is in place though.

51 minutes ago, chenposeb said:

Obviously it will all be volunteering as I have no intention of charging,

Believe that in the long run it will be you that is charged, donation for this and donation for that, light a candle donation, light the incense sticks donation, rattle the fortune telling sticks donation, (insert others here):wai2:

Just now, Paul Catton said:

Believe that in the long run it will be you that is charged, donation for this and donation for that, light a candle donation, light the incense sticks donation, rattle the fortune telling sticks donation, (insert others here):wai2:

Yes, like I said it is called Dana. I was a monk and lived in a temple for 6 years. We are lucky to be able to give to the temple whatever we can.

from the sound of that post, you may still have hungry mind. Maybe a long stint in the temple might help :)

The donations are only short run things, think about how many billions of lifetimes you may have lived, you cannot get upset for a few candles and stuff...lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chenposeb said:

Yes, like I said it is called Dana. I was a monk and lived in a temple for 6 years. We are lucky to be able to give to the temple whatever we can.

from the sound of that post, you may still have hungry mind. Maybe a long stint in the temple might help :)

The donations are only short run things, think about how many billions of lifetimes you may have lived, you cannot get upset for a few candles and stuff...lol

Probably a very hungry mind, and not very good at squatting on the floor, shorter stints to the temple would placate me more.

I've not finished this lifetime yet, can't recall others and with the way the world is going, don't think I would want another.

Still, am always supportive of Opal and her families beliefs and always attempt to be an integral part .:thumbsup:

Edited by Paul Catton
grammar
  • Like 1

I know some retirees who spend a few hours each week in the local temples "studying" with the monks.  While they are helping the monks with their English, the monks are helping them to learn about Buddhism.  Each is teaching the other.  Somehow they've decided that work permits and appropriate visas aren't needed for this learning activity -- that it's something that can be done with a retirement or tourist visa.

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I know some retirees who spend a few hours each week in the local temples "studying" with the monks.  While they are helping the monks with their English, the monks are helping them to learn about Buddhism.  Each is teaching the other.  Somehow they've decided that work permits and appropriate visas aren't needed for this learning activity -- that it's something that can be done with a retirement or tourist visa.

Not legally it can't.

Edited by muzmurray

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Interesting. It is clear that you can study on a tourist or retirement visa. If, as side effect, of your studies, you end up improving the English proficiency of your teacher, should this be regarded as working without a work permit? If the answer to that is yes, what about teaching your girlfriend English as part of your day-to-day activities?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back, but we are having a few problems trying to find the right information to sort this out.

The local Buddhist Office (that oversees the Province) has said they want to help, but apparently can only sponsor monks/nuns/novices  to volunteer, not a lay person.

The work permit office has said it is fine for me to volunteer, I just need to go and get a non-imm B Visa then they can give me a WP. Apparently to get a non-imm B I need to have a degree, although I have said I am ok with not being officially 'a teacher', even though I have over 15 years experience in teaching and coaching, I can just help kids with conversation skills... of which I have over 40 years experience :)

Do I really need a degree to volunteer? There are kids who volunteer here who obviously haven't got degrees.

The temple have also said they can write the letter I need asking for my skills to help the monks and novices improve their English Communication.

I have already had 2 TR Visas from Vientiane, if I go there again should I be applying for a Non-Imm O (3 month) or The B Visa, and what documents do I need to take with me?

Sorry for a lot of questions but we are literally being bounced from Office to Office with conflicting information all the time.

For volunteer work you would get a single entry non-o visa. No degree is needed to get a visa.

Vientiane's requirements for the non-o can be found here. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf

To visit as a volunteer for an NGO (Non-government organization) – No multiple entry visas.

- Singed letter on the organization’s letterhead stating duration of stay, duties, etc. along with a copy of the organization’s registration. Single-entry Non-Immigrant “O” visa will be issued for the purpose of volunteering only (No multiple-entry visas)