Where to get 8th tourist visa?

I've been in Thailand for a while and collected 7 visas (8 if you count a double entry as two)

1st: Penang 26/2/2015

2nd: Phnom Penh 30/4/2015 - spent about 3 weeks in Cambodia

3rd & 4th: double entry in Europe 14/9/2015 - spent about 6 weeks in Europe

5th: Vientiane 24/2/2016

6th: Ho Chi Minh 9/5/2016 - spent about 3 weeks in Vietnam

7th: Vientiane 8/8/2016

My question is: which consulates are safe to go for the next one? Obviously Laos - but I hate the cities in Laos so would prefer somewhere else.

I'm thinking about Yangon - cheap, quick flights and I never visited Burma... What do you think about Penang/Bali?

I guess soon I will have to get a new passport.

I can easily prove foreign source of income and if they ask why I don't go home (European) I will tell them likely never and to check my passport again as I spent there just 3 weeks in the past 7 years.

• Like 1

I would try Savanannakhet (sp) as you have 2 from Vientianne already and a lot of previous TV'S in general it's possible you could get a warning if you did get one at Vientianne that you will not get another one after that there, I have read on one report on this forum that if you get the warning stamp then getting one at Savannakket is difficult

Savanaket is the best consulate for visa. they don't have lot of farangs and would gladly take your money for visa
I think the best is to have a sponsor in Thailland who write you a letter explaining what you do in Thailand, how you make money and where you will stay . give his /her phone number and copy of his /her Id card to consular. bring copy of your bank booklet. sometimes they want see where the money come from.
bring your application to the window and let them deal.

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I don't think Bali is that application friendly. Penang or Yangon would be my choice.

Wrong !

I've got my last 2 TV's in the Denpasar consulate and the guy there couldn't be more helpful. He used to post here and can be contacted via a message. Lots of blogs have documented the process in DPS if you browse on-line.

Does take 3 days, morning drop-off, afternoon pickup, with the added bonus that Bali is a great place to spend a few days.

Direct flights with AA are not that expensive if you book ahead.

20 minutes ago, londoedan said:

Wrong !

I've got my last 2 TV's in the Denpasar consulate and the guy there couldn't be more helpful. He used to post here and can be contacted via a message. Lots of blogs have documented the process in DPS if you browse on-line.

Does take 3 days, morning drop-off, afternoon pickup, with the added bonus that Bali is a great place to spend a few days.

Direct flights with AA are not that expensive if you book ahead.

"Wrong!" :clap2::cheesy:

I believe you need to provide booked and paid for flights in and out of Thailand, hotel bookings or a letter from the person you're staying with, a bank statement showing $x, and with a 3 day turn around I don't think it's "that application friendly" compared to somewhere like Penang.

I might be wrong about the Denpasar requirements, but my opinion and thoughts of any of those requirements cant be!

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Can you please clarify. Which rules do you believe this thread is encouraging breaking?

To me, the OP has a simple question: based on different rules applied by different consulates, where are low hassle locations to get a further legal visa?

How about that someone who needs 8 consecutive tourist visas is not a tourist?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Complete rubbish, if Embassy's keep issuing him them and Immigration keep letting him in there is no abuse of the system

It's up to Immigration to decide who is abusing the system not people on here

True, but the OP is a self-confessed digital nomad, living here on tourist visas without a work permit or paying any taxes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Complete rubbish, if Embassy's keep issuing him them and Immigration keep letting him in there is no abuse of the system

It's up to Immigration to decide who is abusing the system not people on here

This visa hopping and visa runs plus people on ED visa not interested in education is the reason why immigration is are hunting people who live here without proper visas. the new METV visa is a good option if you are younger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael8511 said:

This visa hopping and visa runs plus people on ED visa not interested in education is the reason why immigration is are hunting people who live here without proper visas. the new METV visa is a good option if you are younger.

They should be hunting people living here without "proper visas" - it is their job, and I doubt anyone here will disagree.  As was pointed out already, those with Tourist Visas have proper visas by law.  The Ed-Visa crackdown did nothing but double the cost - both for the "good ones" who attend classes, as well as those who continue not to attend.

As to harm to those using legal means for visas: Those using marriage-based extensions may face extra scrutiny, thanks to fraudulent marriages.  Those using retirement-based extensions may face extra scrutiny, thanks to fraudulent applications from those without the requisite funds.  But note that those "troublemakers," are not Tourist and Ed Visa people.

The METV is great for any young person whose employer gives them 6+ month vacations.  Some who are self-employed may also qualify (depending on country of application), but they would be more likely to 'work illegally' for remote clients, assuming we follow the letter of the law (versus current enforcement of said law).  When/if arresting people who work remotely is desired, they can start by investigating those using publicly-advertised co-working spaces. 

3 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

How about that someone who needs 8 consecutive tourist visas is not a tourist?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that Thai consulates and immigration are unable to identify people using consecutive tourist visas, and therefore, unable to enforce the rule that bars people from entering Thailand using them. As such, should be the policy of the forum not to assist people in skirting the Thai laws in this respect. If my understanding is correct, I disagree with you. The consulates can easily see the prior tourist visas in the applicant's passport. Immigration can see the complete record of entry into Thailand. I see no evidence that there are any laws being broken over tourist entries, or of Thai immigration failing to enforce them.

• Like 1

Unbelievable, every time somebody asks a question about visas or visa exempt entries we get the same tedious discussion, the almost identical back and forth between the 'moralists ' and the pragmatists. 

The system itself is corrupt, and even if every single tourist abided by the immigration regulations, the letter and the intent of the law, not the practice of immigration officers who themselves don't practise what they preach,even then, the Thais would still constantly change the system, have clampdowns on this or that perceived 'abuse'. that is just what 'Thainess' is all about.

• Like 1

Are you enjoying your holiday.  Here in Thailand?

Must be.

Chances are your just helping to spoil any good graces local immigration has towards foreigners.  Staying here for the wrong reasons. 

2 hours ago, returnofthailand said:

there is no visa for digital nomads.
governments are just simply too retard to understand the reality of the modern world . this is why many countries will collapse. they are all thinking about office job from 8 to 5 and taxes when guys make millions with YouTube.

The very thing digital nomads are not paying here.

3 hours ago, returnofthailand said:

there is no visa for digital nomads.
governments are just simply too retard to understand the reality of the modern world . this is why many countries will collapse. they are all thinking about office job from 8 to 5 and taxes when guys make millions with YouTube.

"this is why many countries will collapse.". I love that :cheesy::clap2:. Countries are going to collapse because DN's can't live wherever they want.

For the record, Immigration don't have no problem with DN's working whilst here on holiday/passing through. They also don't have a problem with DN's setting up their businesses in Thailand. What they don't appear to want is anyone living here long term using inappropriate Tourist Visas.

I doubt there will ever be a DN Visa/permit because they are an insignificant group, and don't warrant special treatment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

If it's rubbish then why are Embassies/Consulates now restricting applicants to 3 Visas only,.

Answer...because after 3 they assess he is not a genuine Tourist and should get the correct Visa.

Why is the OP asking where to get his next Tourist Visa.

Answer....because he is exhausting his supply without travelling further and further afield because he is being refused by certain Embassies because they assess he is not a genuine Tourist.

Immigration cannot refuse entry on a Tourist Visa, unless they suspect he is working illegally, but this is not an issue about the local Immigration, it's an issue about the Embassies who issue the Visas and their limit is now 3, because the system has been abused in the past.

You seem clueless i'm afraid, Embassy's only issuing 3 visas is nothing new it has always been like that, each Embassy may only issue 3 but that does not mean they cannot be got from other Embassy's after that, there are plenty of reports on this forum of people doing just that, 

I don't see where he said he has been refused a TV, have you just made that up?

PS, a new Passport resets the count at most Embassy's so your argument is baseless 

28 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

You seem clueless i'm afraid, Embassy's only issuing 3 visas is nothing new it has always been like that, each Embassy may only issue 3 but that does not mean they cannot be got from other Embassy's after that, there are plenty of reports on this forum of people doing just that, 

No it hasn't! Vientiane didn't start limiting people or issuing the warning stamps until, if memory serves, around 10 years ago. 

51 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

What do you think will eventually happen once Embassies/Consulates catch on to the latest workaround? I doubt it will be long before they start counting all visas regardless of where they were issued.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No it hasn't! Vientiane didn't start limiting people or issuing the warning stamps until, if memory serves, around 10 years ago. 

The poster said why have they started to limit TV's,

10 years ago? Not exactly recently then is it?

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

What do you think will eventually happen once Embassies/Consulates catch on to the latest work around? I doubt it will be long before they start counting all visas regardless of where they were issued.

Oh dear, catch on? Do you not think they have thought about that already?

It is not a workaround it is a legal way of staying here, no one is breaking any laws by using different Embassy's to obtain TV's,

1 minute ago, darrendsd said:

The poster said why have they started to limit TV's,

10 years ago? Not exactly recently then is it?

Not recent, but since then they have stopped double entry visas and don't allow the replacement METV to be purchased locally to Thailand, thereby limiting the ability to stay long term further.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Oh dear, catch on? Do you not think they have thought about that already?

It is not a workaround it is a legal way of staying here, no one is breaking any laws by using different Embassy's to obtain TV's,

You really are in denial!

I'm sure they have, but I doubt it's an issue yet as the change was made less than a year ago and people won't have had the chance to that collect many visas yet.

It is a workaround! You are recommending that when someone reaches a limit at one Embassy that they move to another.

workaround; a method for overcoming a problem or limitation in a program or system.

Who said it was illegal or breaking the law?

• Like 1