Hiv Infection Among Young Thais Become Worse

george

HIV infection among young become worse

BANGKOK: -- The HIV infection rate among Thai youngsters has become even worse this year, the Public Health Ministry said Friday ahead of World Aids Day on December 1.

The worsening trend is illustrated by the prevalence of infection among teenage mothers, said Dr Somyos Charoensak, a deputy permanent secretary general of the ministry.

HIV infection in pregnant women aged between 15 and 19 last year was zero, but this year the rate of new infection in this group was reported at 0.44 per cent.

The infection rate of this group was about half the overall infection rate of pregnant women of all ages, which was on the downward trend.

The prevalence of infection in young men conscripted into the army showed a similar worrying trend. The infection rate of new soldiers rose from 0.4 per cent in 2005 to 0.5 per cent this year.

The estimate of new infections in young people aged between 15 and 24 was about 15,000 per year, accounting for 40 per cent of the total number of new infections, Somyos said.

-- The Nation 2006-11-24

Not anything surprising here. The government seems to be using abstinence campaigns as it's sole response to more liberal attitudes towards teen sex, and putting the responsibility for maintaining "good Thai culture" on women alone.

A more practical solution that uses education over pious pronouncements is what's needed.

Aids Day campaign targets ‘karaoke sex’ kids

PHUKET CITY: -- As part of the preparations for this year’s World Aids Day on December 1, the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) has called for a close watch to be kept on private karaoke booths in the city because the “unsuitable behavior” by some youths in the rooms is putting them at risk of contagious diseases.

The PPHO called for department stores to crack down on teenagers using the karaoke booths for illicit activities.

The PPHO will also launch an education campaign to be held in all local schools and many public buildings to mark the annual event. The same theme as last year – “Stop AIDS, Keep the Promise” – will be promoted for the campaign.

Phuket Vice-Governor Worapoj Rattasima said, “The PPHO will cooperate with local schools and universities, local administration organizations, private and government hospitals, public health centers, and radio and television stations and other mass media to hold a public campaign presenting Aids information aimed at teaching safe sex.

“At every school, university, department store, as well as the boxing stadiums at Saphan Hin and Patong, we will distribute leaflets about how to have safe sex.”

According to figures released by the PPHO, there are about 40.3 million people infected with HIV/Aids around the world, with 1.2 million in Thailand.

Phuket has the second-highest incidence of Aids per capita in the South, and the fourth-highest in Thailand, following Ranong, Phayao and Trat provinces.

PPHO records show that 4,146 people – 2,799 males and 1,347 females – in Phuket have HIV/Aids.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-11-22

Not anything surprising here. The government seems to be using abstinence campaigns as it's sole response to more liberal attitudes towards teen sex, and putting the responsibility for maintaining "good Thai culture" on women alone.

A more practical solution that uses education over pious pronouncements is what's needed.

Well said. It all starts with education. Some of my supposedly educated staff at work have absolutely deplorable attitudes to women and casual sex. They think "taking precautions" means giving the girl a false name and address....

That guy in Thaksin's government; "Purachai" reversed a lot of progress towards HIV and sex education. :D He once ordered a nightclub shut down because he found a condom on the floor!

Same pillock who had the wonderful idea of closing all the bars and discos at 1.00am. :D

I wonder which world these people live in? :o

Same pillock who had the wonderful idea of closing all the bars and discos at 1.00am. :D

I wonder which world these people live in? :D

Keep 'em open to 5am so everyone is to drunk and/or tired to #####. That'll be a start to keeping STD's in check. :o

That guy in Thaksin's government; "Purachai" reversed a lot of progress towards HIV and sex education. :D He once ordered a nightclub shut down because he found a condom on the floor!

That guy "Purachai" has split from Thaksin, joined the opposition (was even a honored guest at least once during the PAD rallies), and is now sitting in the National Legislatve Assembly, was even one of the candidates for the position as speaker.

He is very much liked by the Bangkokians, and the present government.

Edited by ColPyat

That guy "Purachai" has split from Thaksin, joined the opposition (was even a honored guest at least once during the PAD rallies), and is now sitting in the National Legislatve Assembly, was even one of the candidates for the position as speaker.

Are you sure?

I seem to recall that there was a story in the Bangkok Post when he resigned around 20 months ago stating he was moving to New Zealand along with his wife and daughter.

Wasn't he also the "spaghetti strap shirt" killer?

Are you sure?

I seem to recall that there was a story in the Bangkok Post when he resigned around 20 months ago stating he was moving to New Zealand along with his wife and daughter.

Wasn't he also the "spaghetti strap shirt" killer?

Yes, i am sure.

That was the point when he split with Thaksin. During the PAD rallies he appeared there, and is now member of the present parliament. Just google "Purachai NLA" and you will get countless arcticles confirming this.

In the 1990's Thailand became an example to the world in successfully reverting an HIV epidemic, thanks to an aggressive prevention effort focusing on condom use (the '100% Condom Campaign').

To illustrate this, a quoute from an article from the nytimes.com website:

The 100 Percent Condom Campaign in Thailand.

As part of the campaign, public health officials aggressively focused on bars, brothels, nightclubs and massage parlors for condom education, promotion and distribution. Sex workers were likewise offered counseling, testing and treatment. The openness of sex venues there and health officials’ access to the women in them made this a relatively simple intervention.

Venues that did not agree to require condom use were shut down. Signs appeared over bar doors saying, “No condom, no sex, no refund!” And the government put resources behind the effort, distributing some 60 million free condoms a year.

A wider national effort was also under way. Condoms appeared in village shops and urban supermarkets, and frank H.I.V. education was introduced in schools, hospitals, workplaces, the military and the mass media. Thais worked hard to reduce fear and stigma and to support those living with H.I.V.

This national mobilization was classically Thai — funny, nonthreatening and sex-positive. When we briefed the Thai surgeon general on an H.I.V. prevention program for soldiers, he said, “Please be sure the program maintains sexual pleasure, otherwise the men won’t like it and won’t use it.”

It worked. By 2001, fewer than 1 percent of army recruits were H.I.V. positive, infection rates had fallen among pregnant women, and several million infections had been averted.

2001 … yes guess who abandoned the campaign?

We cannot ignore the lessons learned during the 100 Percent Condom Campaign. Or can we?

H.I.V. policy should be driven by only what’s been shown to work, and prevention services have to reach those most at risk, whether or not we condone their behavior.

An aggressive campaign focusing on condom use for young and old is the only thing that can prevent an epidemic.

Abstinence and other ‘moral’ programs have never worked, not in the US, not in Africa, and won’t work in Thailand either.

If they could do it with success in the 90's, why can't they do it again? Has the country forgotten how this was succesull before mister T blew it?

Neverthess, under his government Thailand's first national health system was implemented, and, after some slight pressure, antiretroviral drugs were made available for free to HIV infected. Without the 30 baht scheme and the inclusion of AIDS treatment most HIV infected in Thailand, estimated around 500 000 to 1 million people, would be dead already, or dying soon now.

Regardles Thaksin's other shortcomings, under his tenure an exemplary good and efficient countrywide system of care for AIDS patients was established.

A rise in newly infected was already expected for a long time, as it also happened in the west with the introduction of the combination treatment that made AIDS a chronic illness and not an automatic death sentence anymore.

Edited by ColPyat

The wife and I help out for a couple of Sundays a month at the local orphanage. Nothing too saint-like; a few gifts and an hour or two playing with the children. It's also an attempt at educating our 12 year-old daughter about the perils of men!

It is heart-breaking that the majority of these kids were born to teenage mothers (and when I say teenage, I'm talking specifically of under-18s). It will be doubly so if the youngsters have been born HIV positive.

Neverthess, under his government Thailand's first national health system was implemented

Oh phu-lease...

The 30 baht scheme was a populistic move to get elected, and it wasn't covered in either budget or reality (would cost the government less to have free care), for the sole reason that staying in power meant more money for 'some people' - while the non-fonded 30 baht-scheme would come out of the tax-payers money, or as TRT calls it 'we don't pay a dime'.

Your love for everything Thaksin has done is very touching, but there has to be a limit to the nonsence.

You cannot honestly pretend that abolishing the campain was in the best interest of the people?

Oh phu-lease...

The 30 baht scheme was a populistic move to get elected, and it wasn't covered in either budget or reality (would cost the government less to have free care), for the sole reason that staying in power meant more money for 'some people' - while the non-fonded 30 baht-scheme would come out of the tax-payers money, or as TRT calls it 'we don't pay a dime'.

Your love for everything Thaksin has done is very touching, but there has to be a limit to the nonsence.

You cannot honestly pretend that abolishing the campain was in the best interest of the people?

Where did i state that abolishing the campaign was in the best interest of the people?

Where did I state "my love for whatever Thaksin has done"?

Unless you can point out in any of my many posts where i have stated what you claim (citation please), you better rephrase your post.

What i have stated is that under the 30 baht scheme for the first time in Thailand HIV infected are able to get free antiretroviral medicine. That is a fact, regrardless what you feel about Thaksin. No other government has even attempted such a move.

Or do you prefer to revert to the old system, and let those people pay for their own medicine, which would mean death for most?

Every health sythem in the world is at least subsidised by taxes.

If the scheme would have been so bad, why then has the present government not only continued it, but made it even free?

Is it not obvious, even for you, that whatever the rethorics, almost every single Thaksin policy is continued by the present government?

No, i guess not... :o

Edited by ColPyat

I second that. Studies show that abstinence doesn't work, and neither does government obstinance.

It's sad really, that this needs to be repeated over and over -but it does.

Whilst fundamentally disagreeing with the legitimacy of the junta, I do find it surprising the constant support that "The Colonal" gives to Thaksin at every turn. Is he on the payroll? His spokesman? :D:D:o

I very much doubt that that Thaksin would put me on his payroll.

But something you people have difficulties to see - while you rave and rant against the person, and are everything because it came from the person, you have only a very nebulous idea of actual policies and their results.

I do look at the results and policies primarily, and try to differeniate seperate those and the person. So, yes, right now, apart from being very worried about Thailand's future, i do see certain ironies in the present government following most of Thaksin's policies. And so far the policies they have come up by themselves with have either failed (conflict in the three provinces only got worse), or they are outright bizzarre (sufficiency economy, lifting/not lifting of martial law, inspiration of conflict resolution from Pakisthan, etc.)

Our fanatic Thaksin opponents here appearantly believe in that before Thaksin everything was all jolly in the LOS. Maybe they have some slight memory problems, or haven't even been here, because there was a reason that Thaksin was elected, and reelected. And it was not the convenient excuse of vote buying.

It was because previous governments have completely ignored large sectors of society. Thaksin has promised them and delivered.

Did i like his government - No!

But i have come to the uncomfortable realisation that his opposition is either completely inefficient, and simply not able to form a government, or, even far worse than Thaksin.

Thaksin's government has made some incredibly bad decisions, and was corrupt (every government so far was), and has committed some horrible human rights violations (with the collaboration of many of his now opponents).

But, his government has also introduced some long overdue changes to Thailand, such as the first public health systhem. Such as drawing the previously ignored sectors of the rural poor of the North and Isaarn into the political process (and yes, not of altruism, but necessity).

I would wish there would be one day a better alternative than Thaksin or the old power elites. But presently i do not see either, unfortunately.

But back to the topic of AIDS. Can anyone dispute that only the 30 Baht scheme made it possible, for the first time in Thailand's history, that HIV infected got access to free treatment with antiretrovirals?

Edited by ColPyat

Does anyone else find it surprising that last year there were NO 15-19yo pregnant young women that were HIV+??? One would think that the condition of pregnancy is pretty much ipso facto an admission of unsafe sex. Sounds to me like someone either hid the numbers last year or didn't bother to check.

I agree with all the others calling for the abandonment of abstinence on this thread- you'd have thought they would have learned their lesson from last time, but I guess not. At least the outwardly gay community is getting slightly more savvy (although the younger ones who missed the die-off last time are beginning to let safety issues slip).

"Steven"

Whilst fundamentally disagreeing with the legitimacy of the junta, I do find it surprising the constant support that "The Colonal" gives to Thaksin at every turn. Is he on the payroll? His spokesman? :D:D:o

I very much doubt that that Thaksin would put me on his payroll.

So you are not denying that you are his spokesman, albeit unpaid?? :D

I would suggest you read my posts to the end, if your concentration span is sufficient. Then it should be clear that i am not.

No, i am not one of the fabled TRT agents on internet boards. :o

Edited by ColPyat

I would suggest you read my posts to the end, if your concentration span is sufficient. Then it should be clear that i am not.

No, i am not one of the fabled TRT agents on internet boards. :D

But, with your careful choice of words, you have not actually denied being a Thaksin spokesman.. :o

But, with your careful choice of words, you have not actually denied being a Thaksin spokesman.. :o

For the intellectually challenged: No, I am not a Thaksin spokesman. No, i don't like the person, i don't like most of his policies (of which i guess you have never heard of, other than early barclosing times :D ).

Sadly though he was the only Thai politician who actually formulated policies, and acted upon them.

Is that clear enough?

How long more do we have to continue this painfully uninspiring conversation? :D

Edited by ColPyat

For the intellectually challenged: No, I am not a Thaksin spokesman. No, i don't like the person, i don't like most of his policies (of which i guess you have never heard of, other than early barclosing times :D ).

Sadly though he was the only Thai politician who actually formulated policies, and acted upon them.

Is that clear enough?

How long more do we have to continue this painfully uninspiring conversation? :D

If you think that it is a sign of being intellectually challenged to point out that you have not (hitherto) given a clear answer, then I am sure that dispassionate readers would make assumptions about who is the intellectually challenged poster.

I am glad of your clear post (at long last). It is a shame that it took so long for you to make a straightforward statement, but never mind.

As you are clearly the enlightened one, you will not need me to point out that this is not a conversation (painfully uninspiring or otherwise), but a discourse. Nor, I am sure, would you need clarification that bar closing are, in fact, two words. Perhaps you have been in the bar too long to realise that it has closed?? :D

I have a close knowledge of many Thaksin and TRT policies in actual fact. If you bothered to read many of my posts, you would realise this. On the subject at hand (which seems to have passed you by) HIV treatment and infection statistics are an area of great cover-up and latent failure under your great (former) leader's watch. Source: http://www.avert.org/aidsthai.htm

Anyway, if there any long words you are stuck on, please feel free to ask for assistance.. :D

Oh phu-lease...

The 30 baht scheme was a populistic move to get elected, and it wasn't covered in either budget or reality (would cost the government less to have free care), for the sol...

If the scheme would have been so bad, why then has the present government not only continued it, but made it even free?

I think that one point here is that they did make it free precisely because it was costing too much to administer a system that only earned 30 baht per patient. The cost of collecting the 30 baht was more than the cost of giving the health care free.

Regarding the two arguments - they are exactly that - two different points - the main one being that the Taksin government scrapped a campaign that was working and had worked to reduce the incidence of HIV throughout the community.

There can be no argument against reducing HIV infection - so how on earth could any responsible governement scrap a campaign that is doing exactly that and is a positive step in the fight against AIDS?

To imply that closing down an effective campaign is in any way justified because it was replaced with free medication for HIV sufferers (locking the gate after the horse has bolted) is ludicrous.

Effectively saying that it's OK anyhow because we expected a rise in infection rates due to the change in status of the disease is completely unacceptable to me.

The successful campaign to reduce new HIV infections was a guiding light to those fighting this disease throughout the world.

To extinguish it was almost criminal.

The abstinence concept is one that I would come to expect from a Chinese based community.

Their moral stance is based on hundreds, nay thousands, of years of "culture". Many officials in the previous government promoted ancient belief systems that foist unrealistic values and expectations on a modern community - expectations which cannot stand up to the pressures in that community. It's unfortunate, but a fact.

The end result is that our children grow up completely confused about many moral issues, so they rely instead on their peers. Crash!

Frank, honest education programmes are a weapon in the arsenal against such life threatening diseases, ending any government campaign that works is a retrograde step.

Even if ONE person died as a result, was it worth the budget savings?

I hope the fools who did this can sleep well at night... guardians of the nations morals... but not it's health.

Edited by Greer