Renewing a 5 year licence with tourist visa

I obtained a five year driving license years ago when I had a full time job, Non B visa, and work permit.

The license is going to expire soon and I want to know if it is possible to renew if I only have a 60 day tourist visa.

If not 5 years, are there any other options? What do I need?

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Just now, Rotweiler said:

Residency Certificate - NOT issues by Immigration.  You must either apply for and receive a yellow book or obtain a certificate of residency from your consulate or embassy.

since when does immigration not issue residency certs ?

14 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

One immigration office is temporarily not issuing them. Hardly warrants a post ' Residency Certificate - NOT issues by Immigration.  You must either apply for and receive a yellow book or obtain a certificate of residency from your consulate or embassy. '.

SOP is that immigration is the place to contact for residency certificates.

A quick TV search of residency certificate issues suggests otherwise - that first, immigration offices are not required to provide residency certificates (although some do or have done); and second; that CM is not alone in not providing certificates. I don't believe either option is universally applied in all Thailand Immigration offices.

3 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

A quick TV search of residency certificate issues suggests otherwise - that first, immigration offices are not required to provide residency certificates (although some do or have done); and second; that CM is not alone in not providing certificates. I don't believe either option is universally applied in all Thailand Immigration offices.

A quick TV search on most subjects would also reveal that many issues are not black and white and decisions will often depend on the whim/practice of whichever local govt. department you are seeing that day.....(as stevenl alluded to in post #2) ;)

I also need to renew my third 5 year licence. However it expires 31st october and I will not return until mid January 2017.

1.  Will Jomtien immigration issue a residence certificate (stayed in the same place for 7 years and have the original lease and monthly receipts. ?

2. Will the Transport office on route 36 give me another 5 yea licence 2 and a half months agter the current one expires.?

As a backup I intend to get a IDP before I return but would like to keep my Thai licence current if possible. Thanks all. 

This is not possible to give an accurate answer to IMO as each office sets its own standards on any given day, best off just getting the letter of residency first from the nearest immigration office

If you falter at this first hurdle the re-evaluate the steps from there, if by chance you do get the paperwork then apply for the license and whatever they give you just go along with it. Many people may not agree with this post but trying to work out what is the norm is not possible , one person gets one thing one person another from my experience

By the way I had yearly licenses for a while then one time went with an expired work permit and got a 5 year, go figure

Edited by Anythingleft?
Addition

14 hours ago, Mangostin said:

My understanding was, that if you don't hold a yearly  Non O or Non B, they will only give you 1 year instead of 5 years

It's 2 years now...

At my DL office they want a printout of your Visa as well as photo page, which they check...

I return to Thailand (Khao Lak) in November for our annual 4 months visit on a Single Entry Non Imm O Visa followed by re-entry on 1st February from Vietnam on a 30 day Visa Exempt Entry to be extended at Immigration later to cover the balance of our stay until our return at the end of March 2017. We had intended to return on Non-Imm O (for pensioners over 65 in receipt of State Pension) Multi Entry Visas as previously but the Thai Consulates in UK (and other countries) can no longer issue Multi-Entry Non Imm O.

My Thai DL expires in January 2017 before we leave for Vietnam and I intend to renew it in Takua Pa after visiting the Immigration Office in Phang Nga Town to obtain the residency certificate. I understand that renewal requires a Non-Imm O visa which I will have for the first entry and will still be valid when I intend to renew my DL. Will there be any problem with it only being Single Entry? 

Secondly what kind of test do I have to take as part of the renewal process?

Thanks in anticipation. 

Regarding Residency Certification from Immigration: 

In the past I've tried to get one and been refused as I had not been in country long enough to do a 90 day report. 

Thus: I suspect (perhaps someone can confirm or refute) that to obtain a Residence Certificate from Immigration you will have had to have carried out a 90 day report and thus, be here much longer than your 60 day Tourist Visa. 

Viable Alternative: Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy. 

Regarding the Actual Renewal of the 5 Year Driving Licence: 

I too will be in exactly the same situation. 

1 Year Followed by a 5 year DL issued under Work Permit.

I now work overseas (rotation) and will need to renew my Thai DL next year. 

I have a Thai Elite Visa (5 years - renewable every 5 years). 

I Wonder if the duration of Visa Makes a Difference in the Duration of DL people are receiving ?

Retirees ? Those Married on a Type O ?? with a year Visa....

10 hours ago, Arandora said:

I return to Thailand (Khao Lak) in November for our annual 4 months visit on a Single Entry Non Imm O Visa followed by re-entry on 1st February from Vietnam on a 30 day Visa Exempt Entry to be extended at Immigration later to cover the balance of our stay until our return at the end of March 2017. We had intended to return on Non-Imm O (for pensioners over 65 in receipt of State Pension) Multi Entry Visas as previously but the Thai Consulates in UK (and other countries) can no longer issue Multi-Entry Non Imm O.

My Thai DL expires in January 2017 before we leave for Vietnam and I intend to renew it in Takua Pa after visiting the Immigration Office in Phang Nga Town to obtain the residency certificate. I understand that renewal requires a Non-Imm O visa which I will have for the first entry and will still be valid when I intend to renew my DL. Will there be any problem with it only being Single Entry? 

Secondly what kind of test do I have to take as part of the renewal process?

Thanks in anticipation. 

"I understand that renewal requires a Non-Imm O visa which I will have for the first entry and will still be valid when I intend to renew my DL. Will there be any problem with it only being Single Entry? "

Your presumption is incorrect, and it will not be an issue. Test will normally be depth perception, reaction time and colour blindness.

23 minutes ago, Arandora said:

Sorry, what presumption is incorrect? That I need a Non-Imm O Visa? Or that it needs to be Multi Entry? Confused!

The presumption you made " I understand that renewal requires a Non-Imm O visa ". Renewal of a DL does not require any kind of visa at all, even on visa exempt one can get a DL renewed, provided the local DLT cooperates. Now for a 5 year licence officially an extension of stay or non-immigrant visa is required.

My intention is to renew for a further 5 years so will a Single Entry Non-Imm O (for retirees over 65 in receipt of State Pension) which takes me past the date my current DL expires be accepted or does it have to be a Multi Entry to cover the entire period of our stay?