Which Battery?

chiang mai

My Vigo battery is now over three years old and the output readings tell me it's time for it to be replaced. If I was in the West I might have a clue about which brand constitutes a good battery and where to buy it, not so here. I saw several battery shops in CM today, all with brand names I've never heard of, is one pretty much as good as the other? They all seem to have one year warranties and the shop bought ones are two third the price of the ones at the dealerships, is there really any difference?

I replaced the battery on mine about a year ago. Got a Toyota battery fitted at the dealers.

Upgraded to heavy duty, a little bigger than standard battery but they managed to squezze it into the mounting.

Forget the cost but not much different from no name batteries you can by from the street.

:)

Where Trans ... he will tell you Boliden. My replacement batteries have always been Panasonic MF ... and always got 3+ years (except the BMW... 5 years+ on original and dealer supplied the replacement) . I also have a CTEK battery charger and use it every couple of weeks on both.

This will start something ... I open the bonnet (hood to some of you) whenever I can after using the vehicles ... heat is a killer and the battery definitely gets hotter after you stop. I have noticed on Fortuners that the under ( hood) temperature is quite hot ...

Ford have recently told me that I need to have them replace the battery on my EV when it needs one ... why?

Edited by JAS21

Got a Hausa? Huasa? that was supposed to be a 4 or 5 year battery two years ago......Was supposed to by the best name out there.....

Looks like it's kaput at about the 2 year mark....Paid over 4k for it as I remember.....

YUASA.

49 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Got a Hausa? Huasa? that was supposed to be a 4 or 5 year battery two years ago......Was supposed to by the best name out there.....

Looks like it's kaput at about the 2 year mark....Paid over 4k for it as I remember.....

5 minutes ago, Gibbs2 said:

GS are good as far as I am concerned I get at least 6 years from them as does one of my friends, very important to keep the water topped up and terminals clean.

Is there a main retailer for GS and/or where is it commonly sold?

13 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Where Trans ... he will tell you Boliden. My replacement batteries have always been Panasonic MF ... and always got 3+ years (except the BMW... 5 years+ on original and dealer supplied the replacement) . I also have a CTEK battery charger and use it every couple of weeks on both.

This will start something ... I open the bonnet (hood to some of you) whenever I can after using the vehicles ... heat is a killer and the battery definitely gets hotter after you stop. I have noticed on Fortuners that the under ( hood) temperature is quite hot ...

Ford have recently told me that I need to have them replace the battery on my EV when it needs one ... why?

Yep. Boliden Silver Calcium......:thumbsup:

I would also recommend a GS sealed battery. They last well over 3 years if you take care. Cost for a Fortuna is 3.500bt but you get 500bt reduction if you let them have the old battery.

N/B don't buy a Toyota one they are at best rubbish & expensive and most will just about last 2 years if your lucky.

IMGP0008.JPG

Edited by fredob43

13 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I thought a lot of modern cars have issues when the battery is removed due to all the electronic gubbins.

4 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I thought a lot of modern cars have issues when the battery is removed due to all the electronic gubbins.

The only problem you'll get with a Toyota is the auto window will stop working. Cure is to press the button till window goes to the bottom hold button down for a few second's repeat a couple of times? Might cure after you have done it once. And it will go back to normal.

18 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The only problem you'll get with a Toyota is the auto window will stop working. Cure is to press the button till window goes to the bottom hold button down for a few second's repeat a couple of times? Might cure after you have done it once. And it will go back to normal.

I was talking about modern cars, not Toyotas.

15 hours ago, JAS21 said:

My Ranger battery is due for replacing after 4 years.  I normally get GS battery for my other truck.  Is it ok to change the Ranger battery at a regular battery shop, or should I have it done at Ford (no doubt at a higher price)?

15 hours ago, JAS21 said:

+1 for Boliden

+1 for CTEK (every 3 months for me)

+1 for opening the bonnet to release the heat

25 minutes ago, MESmith said:

My Ranger battery is due for replacing after 4 years.  I normally get GS battery for my other truck.  Is it ok to change the Ranger battery at a regular battery shop, or should I have it done at Ford (no doubt at a higher price)?

GS batteries are OK and of coarse it's OK to change the Ranger battery at a regular battery shop,  and the same is to the post you replied to,  Ford want you to use them only and not go places that are less expensive.

Our families car battery experiences have been so :-  

Vigo sold it with same GS from new after 5+ years.

Honda battery died in literally about 1 year + 1 week or so from new.

Yaris battery about 18 months from new.

The Honda l put a Boliden silver thingy after leaving it over night with an interior light on it went dead, tried charging it with trickle charger and it burnt the charger out,  took it back and they gave me new one. :D

If car isn't used much it don't seem to like it,  turnover slow not so the same with the GS.

The Yaris has had another GS in recently after previous GS one lasted 5 years +.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Our families car battery experiences have been so :-  

Vigo sold it with same GS from new after 5+ years.

Honda battery died in literally about 1 year + 1 week or so from new.

Yaris battery about 18 months from new.

The Honda l put a Boliden silver thingy after leaving it over night with an interior light on it went dead, tried charging it with trickle charger and it burnt the charger out,  took it back and they gave me new one. :D

If car isn't used much it don't seem to like it,  turnover slow not so the same with the GS.

The Yaris has had another GS in recently after previous GS one lasted 5 years +.

Boliden needs a 14.5 volt charger...:)

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Boliden needs a 14.5 volt charger...:)

To be honest buddy don't know much about these type of batteries,  only notice a different feel  in behaviour between the two when left parked which is 1 or 2 weeks at a time. 

Well my little charger trickle charged the GS battery OK but is now a zero charger now. :lol:

Must be something to do with type of battery the Boliden is l have nothing against them and I only put one in the Honda because you kept raving on about them, so if it don't last l'll tell the wife it's your fault. :lol: :lol:

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

To be honest buddy don't know much about these type of batteries,  only notice a different feel  in behaviour between the two when left parked which is 1 or 2 weeks at a time. 

Well my little charger trickle charged the GS battery OK but is now a zero charger now. :lol:

Must be something to do with type of battery the Boliden is l have nothing against them and I only put one in the Honda because you kept raving on about them, so if it don't last l'll tell the wife it's your fault. :lol: :lol:

My charger pumped out 13.6V.....Boliden didn't like it....Looked on the Net, needs 14.5+ to do the job....BUT, the Boliden lasted 50% longer than the previous 2 L/Acid with half the fill missing in the Boliden, sure it would of been 100% if not for that....Just tell the Mrs. about my angels voice, always works....:wub: