Which Battery?

chiang mai

17 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Got a Hausa? Huasa? that was supposed to be a 4 or 5 year battery two years ago......Was supposed to by the best name out there.....

Looks like it's kaput at about the 2 year mark....Paid over 4k for it as I remember.....

Update - the uasa battery is still going strong & passed all the load tests....

Turned out to be something else....

10 minutes ago, transam said:

My charger pumped out 13.6V.....Boliden didn't like it....Looked on the Net, needs 14.5+ to do the job....BUT, the Boliden lasted 50% longer than the previous 2 L/Acid with half the fill missing in the Boliden, sure it would of been 100% if not for that....Just tell the Mrs. about my angels voice, always works....:wub:

What you mean by half the fill missing do they use up whatever is inside them. ?

My English son will bring me a trickle charger for my motorbike battery but l want to get a decent charger for the cars because as l said there not used much.

Tried to buy a battery charger where l am,  would be easier to ride my scoot up the side of Sukhothai mountain.

I guess Bkk would be the place, can get my step son in Bkk but he knows zero about motors so l need to find a reasonable car battery charger name being sold in Thailand then l can get him to get one for me.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

What you mean by half the fill missing do they use up whatever is inside them. ?

My English son will bring me a trickle charger for my motorbike battery but l want to get a decent charger for the cars because as l said there not used much.

Tried to buy a battery charger where l am,  would be easier to ride my scoot up the side of Sukhothai mountain.

I guess Bkk would be the place, can get my step son in Bkk but he knows zero about motors so l need to find a reasonable car battery charger name being sold in Thailand then l can get him to get one for me.

I wanted a Boliden battery, not have where I am, Mrs.Trans was in BKK and sourced one, on returning home it was laid on it's side in transit............:facepalm:

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

GS batteries are OK and of coarse it's OK to change the Ranger battery at a regular battery shop,  and the same is to the post you replied to,  Ford want you to use them only and not go places that are less expensive.

Is it important to maintain the circuit during changing. Will battery disconnection upset the electronics...

23 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Where Trans ... he will tell you Boliden. My replacement batteries have always been Panasonic MF ... and always got 3+ years (except the BMW... 5 years+ on original and dealer supplied the replacement) . I also have a CTEK battery charger and use it every couple of weeks on both.

This will start something ... I open the bonnet (hood to some of you) whenever I can after using the vehicles ... heat is a killer and the battery definitely gets hotter after you stop. I have noticed on Fortuners that the under ( hood) temperature is quite hot ...

Ford have recently told me that I need to have them replace the battery on my EV when it needs one ... why?

Probably because there are all kinds of electronic goodies that need to be reset when the battery is disconnected. Auto feature of the electric windows is one.

Easy to order a Ctek charger off t'web

18 hours ago, MESmith said:

My Ranger battery is due for replacing after 4 years.  I normally get GS battery for my other truck.  Is it ok to change the Ranger battery at a regular battery shop, or should I have it done at Ford (no doubt at a higher price)?

Pretty good getting 4 years out of Ranger's stock battery since here was a higher incidence of duff ones in 2011/12. I replaced mine with a Boliden 12FL75 SMF as it offered a few more cranking amps than the original one.

11 hours ago, MESmith said:

I found this after a little googling   http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_disconnect_problems.htm

Even when my original bad battery went completely flat, I never had issues with the Ranger once the old one was recharged or the new battery installed. The issue with the drivers side window auto-up/down not working was resolved by holding the down button until you hear a click and doing the same after it goes back up. Or you can wait for 2-3 days until the capacitor picks up enough charge and fixes itself.

An earlier post regarding Ford claiming they need to do the battery replacement on an Everest may be because the EV has more gadgetry that needs 'reset'... or they could be just cadging for cash.

22 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I would also recommend a GS sealed battery. They last well over 3 years if you take care. Cost for a Fortuna is 3.500bt but you get 500bt reduction if you let them have the old battery.

My vehicle came with a factory-fitted GS battery which lasted 4 years, almost to the day. I went to one of the (very many) GS battery shops on Sukumvit in Pattaya and bought a new one for exactly the price you mention. The new one looks like yours but the old one was not the maintenance-free type and had screw caps which the dealer used to check at every service. It will be interesting to see if the new maintenance-free one lasts as long as the original.

The price paid seems to be about 50% more than the same battery would have cost in Europe, which probably explains why there are dozens of shops all selling the same item for the same price here. They probably only need to sell one battery a day to pay all the staff costs and the fixed costs of their shop.

When I'm next at the dealer I will ask their price and try and find out if it is for the maintenance-free sort or not.

23 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I would also recommend a GS sealed battery. They last well over 3 years if you take care. 

Replaced my factory fitted battery on the Ford Ranger (lasted nearly four years) with a sealed GS battery. What do I need to take care of it? I thought maintenance free meant just that!

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My vehicle came with a factory-fitted GS battery which lasted 4 years, almost to the day. I went to one of the (very many) GS battery shops on Sukumvit in Pattaya and bought a new one for exactly the price you mention. The new one looks like yours but the old one was not the maintenance-free type and had screw caps which the dealer used to check at every service. It will be interesting to see if the new maintenance-free one lasts as long as the original.

The price paid seems to be about 50% more than the same battery would have cost in Europe, which probably explains why there are dozens of shops all selling the same item for the same price here. They probably only need to sell one battery a day to pay all the staff costs and the fixed costs of their shop.

When I'm next at the dealer I will ask their price and try and find out if it is for the maintenance-free sort or not.

KK I have well in the last 6 months brought a battery for my mothers car in UK so called top of the range cost just under £100 and that's for a small lump 1.4 cc Peugeot, would have been lots more if I had wanted a large one like I have to fit on the Tuna. So £60 (Still working on the 50+ =£) for a GS is cheap as chips.

N/B maintenance free is what it says on the box just keep the terminals clean.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

KK I have well in the last 6 months brought a battery for my mothers car in UK so called top of the range cost just under £100 and that's for a small lump 1.4 cc Peugeot, would have been lots more if I had wanted a large one like I have to fit on the Tuna. So £60 (Still working on the 50+ =£) for a GS is cheap as chips.

N/B maintenance free is what it says on the box just keep the terminals clean.

Spray with Sonax (similar WD40 but different)....Works great...

3 hours ago, transam said:

Spray with Sonax (similar WD40 but different)....Works great...

Good idea.

If you see how clean my battery is snap further up.

It's now 18 months and counting.

All I do is when get the car cleaned every two weeks or so they clean the battery as well as the engine. So have never have to put anything on the terminals.

6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

My last European purchase does date back about 8 years but at that time prices where I was were much cheaper than in the UK. Looking online they seem to have increased a bit since then, but not hugely.

Purchases in the EU do include much higher VAT than is applied here though.

I will have to check the capacity of the battery in my vehicle to compare better.

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My last European purchase does date back about 8 years but at that time prices where I was were much cheaper than in the UK. Looking online they seem to have increased a bit since then, but not hugely.

Purchases in the EU do include much higher VAT than is applied here though.

I will have to check the capacity of the battery in my vehicle to compare better.

Having nothing to do this morning, I have just looked up sealed 85AH (same as I have fitted on my Tuna) batteries in the UK the cheapest one I can find is £129. £20 + of that is VAT but you do get "FREE" delivery.

That makes as I said the £60+ paid here cheap as chips.

For TOYOTA Altis 1.8, I checked to shop next to me, and told me the best one is 3k dry battery, will work better and last longer,

He said the price will be 1800 THB with exchange the old battery, with one year warranty,

My question: the dry battery or the water refilled is better? (in term of powerful performance, durability)

Any good quality or brand to recommend?

Thanks

2 hours ago, momtaz said:

For TOYOTA Altis 1.8, I checked to shop next to me, and told me the best one is 3k dry battery, will work better and last longer,

He said the price will be 1800 THB with exchange the old battery, with one year warranty,

My question: the dry battery or the water refilled is better? (in term of powerful performance, durability)

Any good quality or brand to recommend?

Thanks

Doubt it's dry, he means sealed...Go for that....Lead acid here has to much water evaporation, it shows by the white residue on bodywork and posts...

I have seen batteries shipped dry. They come with a plastic bag in a cardboard box that is filled with the diluted acid. That extends the shelf life of the battery nearly indefinitely.  That said, I always buy sealed batteries. Excepting the motorbike, I have been getting at least five years of life from the sealed batteries.

On 9/10/2016 at 10:06 AM, naboo said:

Replaced my factory fitted battery on the Ford Ranger (lasted nearly four years) with a sealed GS battery. What do I need to take care of it? I thought maintenance free meant just that!

Probably doesn't see any difference. I just learned that the FoMoCo branded batteries as fitted to Rangers assembled in Thailand are made by GS Siam here in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2016 at 9:25 AM, KittenKong said:

Apparently the manufacturer no longer fits GS batteries and now uses Hitachi instead.

From the dealer a replacement battery is 3800B, compared to the 3000B I paid. I dont know if that includes a discount for the old one or whether it is maintenance-free or not.