Retirement visa without proof of state pension

8 hours ago, Chip73 said:

Much clearer now - cheers all! I think I'll see if Liverpool can oblige with a Non-O first and if I get no joy there, I'll get a single-entry tourist visa and go to Vientiane from Chiang Mai for it. Thanks again!

Make sure you make it abundantly clear your intention is to migrate to Thailand.

They are well aware of the financial requirements for an extension based on retirement in Thailand and you require a Non Imm Visa for that purpose, so provided you are over 50 and can prove you have the sufficient funds to meet the extension, they can issue a 90 day Non Imm O, although it's at their discretion.

That was my understanding and experience.

• Like 1

I don't believe you can get an O-A retirement visa in Thailand, because at least in the U.S. such a visa requires a local police records check and a doctor's certificate as pat of the  application requirements.

Now please note an O-A retirement visa and a Non O visa for retirement are two different things in the U.S.

In the U.S you do not usually need to "prove" a government pension as that is a U.K. thing.

In the U.S. the embessy may ask you to show the funds, but it is not usually a "requirement" to prove a pension.

21 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

It always puzzled me as to what happened at Extension time here how those getting that odd U.K. visa , based on a Pension of less than 65k/mth, satisfied the Immi financial requirements?

All they can do is stay on the multiple entry non-o visas that they can get in the UK. They will not be able to apply for an extension of stay unless they can meet the financial requirements.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All they can do is stay on the multiple entry non-o visas that they can get in the UK. They will not be able to apply for an extension of stay unless they can meet the financial requirements.

Thanks.

So they have to return to the UK at least every 15 months to renew that Visa?

Sounds like an expensive option for someone on a Pension less than 65k/mth.

In England, I can’t speak for Glasgow, Scotland, only London can issue any type of O visa. It retracted O visa powers from Consulates last year according to my contact in Hull.

I can understand why you’re getting confused. The website and application form refers to an O visa based on retirement aged 50+, but the word ‘retirement’ doesn’t appear in your passport stamp. It simply says, “Non-immigrant 0”. So we all think we’ve got a retirement entry visa when, in fact, it turns out we’ve got a measly 90 day tourist visa (mine is a single entry, non-immigrant O) for which I had to submit a plethora of paperwork including proof of funds and residency before I even arrived in the country.

What the advisors here have omitted to tell you is that while it might seem simple to open a bank account in Thailand in order to transfer your precious 800k baht, it isn’t quite as simple as it sounds; at least, I haven’t found it so.

First, if you have questions about time deposits and rollover systems, you have to find someone who speaks a reasonable level of English unless you’re lucky enough to have a translator. Second, staff will indubitably ask you for a work contract or permit not realizing that the word, ‘retirement’ means ceasing work. Some assistants also don’t seem to realize that you can provide a rental contract in lieu of a work contract…but if you’re travelling around the country solo like myself, this is going to be an issue – I haven’t solved this one yet.

I’m looking at an Embassy letter unless someone can proffer a cheaper, practical solution.

Edited by Seraphina

Your contact in Hull may be referring to Hull itself.

Up until April this year I know both Liverpool and Glasgow were issuing single entry Non Imm O Visas.

Just to clarify though Seraphina, your over 50, but under 65, not in receipt of a State Pension and received a single entry Non Imm O Visa from the London Embassy very recently. Would that be a correct assumption.

Time deposits and rollovers isn't the terminology they use in Thailand and they wouldn't understand you.

Fixed term Savings accounts is the norm and to roll it over once the term expires actually means closing that account and opening a new fixed term savings account. It's not an automatic process because of the various choices of terms available.

As of last week Liverpool Consulate received instructions that they could no longer issue Non-Imm O Multi Entry Visas only Single Entry. They were told this applied to all UK Consulates. As after receiving this info from the Hon Consul at Liverpool herself I contacted Hull who said they had not received that instruction and were still issuing Non_Imm O Multi Entry until officially notified to the contrary. This applied to our proposed appointment at Liverpool for the Multi Entry Visas being over 65 and in receipt of State Pension. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to get a multi entry O visa based on UK retirement with proof of state pension.This I was going to get at Hull where I have always got my visas for the last 12 or more years.Just like the convience and certainty of getting my visa straight into my passport and walk away job done.

Over the years what I applied for has changed many times from tourist to O to multi tourist as the requirements altered and now the uk pensioner O. Looked  good with the multi option.

Just as I'm about to apply seems to have changed again and looked like it would be finally a trip to the London embassy or indeed risk the post as the option of multis seems to have been taken from the consulates.

Then I saw this come in my Facebook news feed so think this may well be what I will go for

image.png

1 hour ago, chaiyapoon said:

Hope to get a multi entry O visa based on UK retirement with proof of state pension.This I was going to get at Hull where I have always got my visas for the last 12 or more years.Just like the convience and certainty of getting my visa straight into my passport and walk away job done.

Over the years what I applied for has changed many times from tourist to O to multi tourist as the requirements altered and now the uk pensioner O. Looked  good with the multi option.

Just as I'm about to apply seems to have changed again and looked like it would be finally a trip to the London embassy or indeed risk the post as the option of multis seems to have been taken from the consulates.

Then I saw this come in my Facebook news feed so think this may well be what I will go for

image.png

That procedure has already been in place at the Hull Consulate and is included in its on-line information. There is no confirmation yet on the Hull website that they can no longer issue Non-Imm O Multi Entry Visas which is what i was going to get in November until being informed by the Consul in Liverpool that all UK Consulates can only issue Single Entry Non-Imm O (for retirees) visas. For Multi Entry you have to apply by post or in person to the Embassy in London. Hull said last week they were still issuing Multis until told otherwise. I have since Emailed them and asked would they issue Multis for my wife using the procedure set out above but no reply.

Very confusing!

The update is very new. They cannot issue multi 0s without prior approval which they could only a week or two ago.This I  suspect lost them significant handling fees the only income they get from issuing visas.Maybe getting this concession helps a bit.

I spoke to the Consul, Alan Taylor, at Hull Consulate this morning to confirm that we could still apply through his Consulate using the procedure 

On 9/21/2016 at 2:56 PM, chaiyapoon said:

image.png

I spoke to Alan Taylor the Hon Consul at Hull this morning to confirm that I could apply for Non Imm O Multi Entry Visas (pensioners over 65) at Hull using the procedure set out above. He said that of the 30 or so he had put through to the Embassy in London to authorise the visas only about 3 had been approved and his view was that the others would not. He later sent me an Email saying:

"Dear Sir,

Reference our conversation, if you wish to apply for a new Non Immigrant Category O Visa through the Hull Consulate such visas must be authorised by the London Embassy prior to issue. If you would like the multiple entry version please note that the London Embassy has told us that only a single entry (90 days) will be granted and if you wish to stay there longer you will need to visit a Thai Immigration Office near to where you will be staying and enquire about the process for staying longer."

In our conversation he was of the view that very soon if not already the Thai Embassy would only be issuing Non Imm O Single Entry Visas and you would have to visit an Immigration Office thereafter in Thailand if you wanted to stay longer. In our case he suggested a Multi Entry Tourist Visa would serve our purpose and would cost the same as a Non Imm O Multi Entry Visa and which we can get at Hull or Liverpool where we have an appointment in November anyway.