Hotel RFID keycard energy saver switch, how to hack it, how to cheat it ?

AsianExport

8 hours ago, South said:

As someone in the business, my rooms are priced in such a way that factor in the AVERAGE stay of a guest. That includes air-con while in the room, hot water, maid service, maintainance, laundry, wear 'n' tear and other sundries. If you start having guests exploiting the AVERAGE guest stay, costs will only go up (picture the cost of 50+ air-con units on 24hrs) and those costs can only be retrieved by increasing the price the guest pays. So, to the OP,  what would you prefer, higher room rates or the ability it circumnavigate the hotels' cost saving measures (while you are not in the room) which will only lead to higher rates in the longrun? Not rocket science.

Perhaps those hotels should offer 24 hour electricity as an add-on. If the customer needs it, they can pay for it. 

Airlines get away with micro charges and add-ons,  I don't see why hotels can't do the same. 

Actually some rock-bottom style hotels do that..

Need a towel -> pay extra

Want to watch TV -> pay for remote control

Airconditioning -> pay in 12 hour increments

etc. etc.

For e.g. should you purchase 12-hours for use over a 2 night stay, if you only use 6 hours on the 1st night of your stay, you have a balance of 6 hours for use on the 2nd night of your stay.

http://www.tunehotels.com/my/en/help_info/page/p-105/add-ons/

Edited by Jdietz

23 hours ago, AsianExport said:

bot interested by your problems, raise the price if you want, we will go somewhere else.

Raise the price or no customers, what do you prefer ?

I don't know how old you are or high your IQ is but with your way of thinking .... I have a feeling that the numbers are not very high. 

Edited by South

On 9/9/2016 at 10:39 AM, AsianExport said:

My post is a good reason for more people to forget keycards in rooms to teach the stupid hotel owners that they are wrong to control MY ROOM that I PAID for 24 HOURS.

But why should the hotel pay for the electricity when the guest isn't using the room?

It's also a waste of energy which contributes to global warming.

On 9 กันยายน 2559 at 3:39 PM, AsianExport said:

My post is a good reason for more people to forget keycards in rooms to teach the stupid hotel owners that they are wrong to control MY ROOM that I PAID for 24 HOURS.

You paid for the room, not the electricity, though they include average use in their prices. If my hotel charges go up I'll blame people like you.

PS I've never stayed anywhere that the fridge went off with the rest.

On 9/9/2016 at 4:15 AM, Jip99 said:

You didn't pay for unlimited electricity.

Did you even consider the environmental impact ?

I have considered the environmental impact. A 136w refrigerator about 5*10^5 Joules per hour. Burning a kilo of coal yields 29.3*10^6 Joules. 5*10^5 Joules per hour/29.3*10^6 Joules = 16.7 grams of coal per hour. Assuming transmission loss, less say 20 grams of coal per hour or 480 grams of coal per 24 hours. Really that's not a big deal - it's less carbon emitted than having a backyard bbq. 

As far as cost, that same fridge would use 24*136w=3.264 kilowatt hours. If each kilowatt hour cost 4 baht, than it's about 13 baht. Whoopdee frickin doo. 

Edited by BudRight
Grammar

16 hours ago, BudRight said:

I have considered the environmental impact. A 136w refrigerator about 5*10^5 Joules per hour. Burning a kilo of coal yields 29.3*10^6 Joules. 5*10^5 Joules per hour/29.3*10^6 Joules = 16.7 grams of coal per hour. Assuming transmission loss, less say 20 grams of coal per hour or 480 grams of coal per 24 hours. Really that's not a big deal - it's less carbon emitted than having a backyard bbq.

As far as cost, that same fridge would use 24*136w=3.264 kilowatt hours. If each kilowatt hour cost 4 baht, than it's about 13 baht. Whoopdee frickin doo.

It has been pointed out that the fridge does not usually go off when the keycard is removed.

The simplest answer would be to allow unlimited electricity ( as they used to ) and have a coin operated AC. That would be the main culprit.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The simplest answer would be to allow unlimited electricity ( as they used to ) and have a coin operated AC. That would be the main culprit.

The main culprit is each room having its own heat exchanger. Central cooling is vastly more efficient but Thais don't build that way for some reason. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 8:25 AM, malt25 said:

Very few hotels of reasonable quality will have the fridge power off when leaving the room.

I always carry a power board when travelling. Plug into fridge socket. Plug in fridge power cord, then plug in devices that I want to charge. Camera battery, laptop & the like.

Always have the "do not disturb" sign displayed so cleaning staff stay out.

Works for me.

I leave one dedicated in my backpack/luggage.....Manys the time it has made life much easier.....Have used it all over the world.....Nothing worse than a room with one - maybe 2 usable outlets.....Especially some old rooms with plugs close to the ceiling.....

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:50 AM, BudRight said:

now do the same for an aircon

On 9/9/2016 at 3:37 PM, Jip99 said:

I am with Oxx on this.

Probably the most self-centered selfish thread of the day.

I have never been cheated by hoteliers, I have always paid what I expected to pay.

Your post is a great reason for hotels to start metering short-term stays.

Agreed.  "2 wrongs' don't make a right"  Sounds like bad karma.  Why not just stay in a room that doesn't turn off your fridge although I've never seen that.  Also any decent laptop will charge overnight when your sleeping.  Yeah pretty selfish.  That's the way of most unfortunately.  Sad really...

On 9/10/2016 at 4:21 PM, orchis said:

i let the water of the shower and the sink run all day when i'm not in the room, after all i paid for having water for 24 hours a day.

You can't be serious.  Are you.  We are in the midst of a global drought.  Nearly 1/3 of the world does not have clean drinking water.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:37 PM, Xircal said:

But why should the hotel pay for the electricity when the guest isn't using the room?

It's also a waste of energy which contributes to global warming.

Because the humidity in the room skyrockets when the A/C isn't on, causing mold and mildew which is both a health hazard for the current and all future guests and a maintenance issue for the property?

One of my pet peeves at Thai hotels (even many high $$ ones) is checking into a room that stinks of mildew because they don't run the A/C when nobody's staying in the room.  Even worse are the places where turning on the A/C fills the room with all the spores that have been growing in the drip pan while it's been turned off and not properly maintained.  At least knock down the humidity, for health reasons.  

Edited by impulse