NLA starts hearings on impeachment case against former defence minister

snoop1130

NLA starts hearings on impeachment case against former defence minister

26_NLA-wpcf_728x413.jpg

The National Legislative Assembly on Friday held a hearing on an impeachment case brought against former defence minister ACM Sukamphol Suwanthat by the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Chaired by Mr Peerasak Porchit, the vice president of the NLA, ACM Sukamphol, a former member of the Pheu Thai party and Ms Supa Piyajitti, representing the NACC, were invited to answer seven questions raised by the NLA.

The former defence minister was accused of interfering in the appointment of then defence permanent secretary, Gen Thanongsak Apirakyothin, bypassing procedure which is regarded as a violation of the defence regulations.

Ms Supa told the assemblymen that, in accordance with the procedure of the appointment of a general, the general to be reshuffled must be selected and approved by his unit before it was sent to the ministerial-level committee led by the defence minister.

But in the case of General Thanongsak, she said that his proposed appointment had bypassed the procedure.

In his defence, ACM Sukamphol told the assembly said he led General Thanongsak to see then Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra because the latter wanted to know him.

As a member of the defence ministry’s committee overseeing reshuffle, he insisted that he himself was entitled to name a candidate while the committee could name another candidate and the committee selected General Thanongsak.

The NLA is scheduled to vote on September 16 whether to impeach ACM Sukamphol or to spare him the impeachment.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-09

one of their own ?

although I have many issues with "justice" in this country.................on a scale of 1-10 it gets a 1, it is starting to creep into a 2

a news report today about some thai guy killing a police man while driving drunk.................he is behind bars, that is why it is still a 1, and without explaining everyone knows what I'm on about..... law and justice = money, while that continues ....epic fail

democracy ? kidding right lol...........3rd world at best and the weird thing is it shouldn't be.

Corruption and greed on a huge scale runs rampant in Thailand until some  people revolt and the military has to step in to maintain peace, the place is just simply faulty, maybe some hero in a position of power will manage to break the mold, otherwise it will continue.

There are just too many that are enriching themselves or have already done so and are trying to protect their interests, there are also those that have been caught exposed convicted and lost tremendous face that are wanting to gain back control or enact revenge and will stop at nothing to have it.

The good thing that has developed in the last 10 years is social media - more and more  thai people are becoming aware, some are still confused  at this awakening - some are paid to be confused and some are seeking genuine change.......we will see what prevails

There are some good vibes coming from the current administration but there are also some horrendously bad ones, some things could be managed much better but the failures are more about diplomacy and PR - could they actually get the youth involved in the roadmap instead of trying to shut them up - but that depends if there are sinister elements involved which could well be the case, I'm all up for these young activists going on about democracy and is all well and good but do they realise it has never actually existed in Thailand before..........do they actually care, who knows, these so called students seem to spend an awful lot of their time shooting and killing each other .....go figure

rant over

I may be missing something here. I thought impeachment was a process which happens while an official is in office.

Wikipedia: Impeachment is a process in which an official is accused of unlawful activity, the outcome of which, depending on the country, may include the removal of that official from office as well as criminal or civil punishment.

Could this variation on a theme be designed simply so that impeachment penal;ties can be applied after the official has left (or been supplanted from) office?

LiD

Edited by LifeInDorset

3 hours ago, LifeInDorset said:

I may be missing something here. I thought impeachment was a process which happens while an official is in office.

Wikipedia: Impeachment is a process in which an official is accused of unlawful activity, the outcome of which, depending on the country, may include the removal of that official from office as well as criminal or civil punishment.

Could this variation on a theme be designed simply so that impeachment penal;ties can be applied after the official has left (or been supplanted from) office?

LiD

Yep. Any reason why resigning or otherwise leaving a position should absolve you of penalties for offences committed while in that position?

3 hours ago, LifeInDorset said:

LiD

This is Thailand in or out who cares? Its your political leanings that count at the end of the day. As the most devious president the US ever had and possibly the worst stated "Your either with us or against us"

19 hours ago, trogers said:

I appoint my brother-in-law of my sister's cousin's stepsister... It's my right, and very good for the country.

That could go even further, perhaps he believed appointment by nepotism is required by law, often seems close to that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 2:09 PM, halloween said:

Yep. Any reason why resigning or otherwise leaving a position should absolve you of penalties for offences committed while in that position?

No. But it would be best to find a penalty other than one which should only be applied when in office. Or change the law.

LiD

On 9/10/2016 at 2:26 PM, elgordo38 said:

This is Thailand in or out who cares? Its your political leanings that count at the end of the day. As the most devious president the US ever had and possibly the worst stated "Your either with us or against us"

Political leanings. Right. And this indeed Thailand.

Which POTUS was that? They all seem pretty hopeless, esp in the past 20 years or so.

LiD