Gasoline and diesel consumption up while LPG consumption drops during the first 7 months of the year

rooster59

Gasoline and diesel consumption up while LPG consumption drops during the first 7 months of the year

IMGP4741-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Gasoline consumption with the exception of benzene and E85 gasohol for the first seven months of this year increased 10.76 percent to 6,103.06 million litres or 28.66 million litres per day compared to 5,487.82 million litres for the same period last year, said Energy Business Department director-general Vitoon kulcharoenvirat.

Gasoline consumption for the January-July period is broken down as follows: gasohol 91, 2,388.08 million litres or 11.22 million litres a day, representing an increase of 2.28 percent; gasohol 95, 2,243.32 million litres or 10.53 million litres a day, representing an increase of 22.24 percent; gasohol E20, 1,007.06 million litres or 4.73 million litres a day, representing an increase of 17.47 percent; gasohol E85, 180.54 million litres or 0.85 million litres a day, representing a decrease of 4.14 percent; benzene, 284 million litres or 1.33 million litres a day, representing 3.60 percent decline.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gasoline-diesel-consumption-lpg-consumption-drops-first-7-months-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-10

Could be due to the time it takes to

# 1 - find a free pump

# 2 - the time it takes to fill

There is a very large station on the road from Banphai to Khon Kaen.     It has very few pumps for gas and it often takes 30 minutes to queue and fill up a lotto or car.

Not very condussive to finding a way to reduce petrol consumption.

Perhaps there is a govt. regulation on the amount of empty space required per pump or, is it down to just "good" ( sic ) planning of the site ?

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Could be due to the time it takes to

# 1 - find a free pump

# 2 - the time it takes to fill

There is a very large station on the road from Banphai to Khon Kaen.     It has very few pumps for gas and it often takes 30 minutes to queue and fill up a lotto or car.

Not very condussive to finding a way to reduce petrol consumption.

Perhaps there is a govt. regulation on the amount of empty space required per pump or, is it down to just "good" ( sic ) planning of the site ?

There are always more line-ups at CNG stations due to vans and taxis using the fuel primarily in urban areas and the greater Bkk area.

I have never seen an LPG station anywhere I have driven in central and northern Thailand that has had long line-ups.

BTW, just curious, what is a lotto?

I converted my late model Suzuki Caribian to LPG years ago. I loved using LPG. It ought to be the mainstay in auto fuel.... other than perhaps electric. The amount of fuel I used was equivalent to riding a small motorbike.

I wanted a p/u that was a bit bigger/more modern. I looked for one that had been converted but gave up after a/b 1 yr. I finally bought a nice/used but in great condition 4x4 Toyota diesel. I can not find any shop able to convert it to LPG.... well in the Khonkaen/Chaiyaphum area. There is  one - I'm told in Chiang Mai however. 

If I'm not mistaken many German autos come from the factory w/ LPG. So my question is why does the Thai govt. want to do away with LPG. It's a cheap/reliable way of fueling vehicles. Another question I have is why does US not mention LPG? It's like "a conspiracy" to bolster oil products. Guess most governments a not interested in citizens saving money on fuel consumption. 

LONG LIVE LPG. I'll take a conversion anyway.

21 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

I converted my late model Suzuki Caribian to LPG years ago. I loved using LPG. It ought to be the mainstay in auto fuel.... other than perhaps electric. The amount of fuel I used was equivalent to riding a small motorbike.

I wanted a p/u that was a bit bigger/more modern. I looked for one that had been converted but gave up after a/b 1 yr. I finally bought a nice/used but in great condition 4x4 Toyota diesel. I can not find any shop able to convert it to LPG.... well in the Khonkaen/Chaiyaphum area. There is  one - I'm told in Chiang Mai however. 

If I'm not mistaken many German autos come from the factory w/ LPG. So my question is why does the Thai govt. want to do away with LPG. It's a cheap/reliable way of fueling vehicles. Another question I have is why does US not mention LPG? It's like "a conspiracy" to bolster oil products. Guess most governments a not interested in citizens saving money on fuel consumption. 

LONG LIVE LPG. I'll take a conversion anyway.

Diesel cannot be converted to LPG. Gasoline and diesel engines do not burn their fuel the same way. Diesel is burned by being pressurized and gas by being blown up... hence the spark plug.

7 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Diesel cannot be converted to LPG. Gasoline and diesel engines do not burn their fuel the same way. Diesel is burned by being pressurized and gas by being blown up... hence the spark plug.

How about this?

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/lpg-in-diesel-now-possible-in-thailand-t9656.html

13 hours ago, selftaopath said:

So the Thai are smarter than the rest of the world? 

Although the Diesel engine is relatively slow-revving and produces its maximum torque at lower RPM than a similar Petrol version, this is not the case when it is converted to run on LPG. The revised engine has to'rev' more when running on LPG because its maximum torque has been pushed higher up the rev. band. This can bring new problems of reliability and longevity. Even if the 'top end' of a Diesel has been fully reworked, the crankshaft, bearings and connecting rods (to mention but a few components) will suffer higher stresses at increased RPM necessary when running on LPG. Mechanical breakdown may result in far less time, whilst increased wear and reduced component life are certain. FinaIly, note that in all of the above cases the converted engine will cannot be a true Diesel or even a dual fuel engine as it will have lost its higher compression ratio and the means to inject Diesel.

Conclusion

The above factors combine (along with many others not discussed here) to make actual conversion of most Diesel engines uneconomic. It would be simpler and quicker to fit a Petrol engine.

On 9/11/2016 at 10:27 PM, Thian said:

So the Thai are smarter than the rest of the world? 

Although the Diesel engine is relatively slow-revving and produces its maximum torque at lower RPM than a similar Petrol version, this is not the case when it is converted to run on LPG. The revised engine has to'rev' more when running on LPG because its maximum torque has been pushed higher up the rev. band. This can bring new problems of reliability and longevity. Even if the 'top end' of a Diesel has been fully reworked, the crankshaft, bearings and connecting rods (to mention but a few components) will suffer higher stresses at increased RPM necessary when running on LPG. Mechanical breakdown may result in far less time, whilst increased wear and reduced component life are certain. FinaIly, note that in all of the above cases the converted engine will cannot be a true Diesel or even a dual fuel engine as it will have lost its higher compression ratio and the means to inject Diesel.

Conclusion

The above factors combine (along with many others not discussed here) to make actual conversion of most Diesel engines uneconomic. It would be simpler and quicker to fit a Petrol engine.

Here's an extensive review of the topic.

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor NGV gas thailand

Is this NGV? Look how dangerous with those unprotected valves on that bombpackage. In an accident the valves will snap off and all the gas will be sprayed around under high pressure.

CNG is also sold widely and the taxi's even can't be bothered to have a decent fillopening, it's mounted on top of the engine under the bonnet. In Europe you will never ever see that, fillingvalves are always at the rear of the vehicle and don't stick outside of it. They also will be covered by a lid and have electromechanical valves who are hidden and protected by the tank itself...

Safety first? Not in Thailand and for sure i would never let a Thai build LPG or CNG in my car. My wife's car has CNG but bought from Toyota and installed by them. It drives good but to fill the tank she has to be in the long line at the gasstation..And a full tank doesn't last long like LPG.

On 9/10/2016 at 6:12 PM, ratcatcher said:

There are always more line-ups at CNG stations due to vans and taxis using the fuel primarily in urban areas and the greater Bkk area.

I have never seen an LPG station anywhere I have driven in central and northern Thailand that has had long line-ups.

BTW, just curious, what is a lotto?

lotto is a minibus.   for example I live about 45 km south of Khon Kaen the lotto is from Korat to Udon.    It stops at various places en-route but not as many as a local bus.   Fare is the same 35 baht the time taken is about 40 mins versus 60 - 90 minutes ( depends on driver / traffic / age and condition of bus ).    Lotto you sit on a seat, bus you sit / stand where you can.    Some people don't like using a lotto because they often travel fast and it can b scary and dangerous.     There is also a lotto station at Central Khon Kaen but I have booked before and the lotto comes and goes without my knowing it. 

speedo68.

lotto is a minibus.   for example I live about 45 km south of Khon Kaen the lotto is from Korat to Udon.    It stops at various places en-route but not as many as a local bus.   Fare is the same 35 baht the time taken is about 40 mins versus 60 - 90 minutes ( depends on driver / traffic / age and condition of bus ).    Lotto you sit on a seat, bus you sit / stand where you can.    Some people don't like using a lotto because they often travel fast and it can b scary and dangerous.     There is also a lotto station at Central Khon Kaen but I have booked before and the lotto comes and goes without my knowing it. 

Thank you for explaining.

You used the Thai word รถตู้  rót dtôo . I misunderstood, thinking that lotto is what millions of Thais buy tickets for, hoping for the big win.

Basically it is a van, minibus, usually silver or white, frequently driven by Lewis Hamilton wannabees.:thumbsup:

Edited by ratcatcher