Want to buy second hand car in Thailand

mmrichard

Hi Everyone,

I have a question. I want to buy a second hand car in Thailand.  I heard that If i want to buy second hand car i must need Thai grantor. Is there any way to buy second hand car without Thai grantor?  

For buying a new car, I heard not require Thai grantor if I pay down payment for 30 or 40 percent. For second hand if I pay down payment for 30 or 40 percent I also need Thai grantor. That's strange!!

I have work permit and worked in Bangkok more than 2 years.

Unless your after a specific car then you are probably better off getting new price wise, as for the ownership I know lots of people that have the cars in their own names this should not be an issue especially if you have a work permit surely? Sometimes I believe this depends a lot o the dealer personnel if they don't want the extra work involved in setting the agreement up

Be interested to see any actually factual answers on this topic later on

Trust me, I have bought two second hand cars in Bangkok, sourced from a English language website , they have both been clean and great value. And the website help in transferring. Problem is I cannot remember the website but try googling expat car sales Thailand . Hope this helps. 

Most likely Siam Motor World. Run by Brit expat called Tim Brooks and his Local Partner Yai.

cannot fault them and very helpful. My car was through him and have had no problems three plus years and many km down the line.

He he will not steer you wrong ( no pun intended)

I've bought two new cars here, both with 50% down payment. The first (Ford & Tisco Bank) I didn't need a guarantor. The second (Honda & Krungsri Auto) I did need one. I guess it depends on the finance company and/or the arrangement the dealer has with them. Shop around would be my advice. But I feel with only (no offence) 30% or 40% down payment you'll need a guarantor.

I bought a second hand car in Bangkok from a Thai Second Hand Dealer.

If I am not wrong, when doing the car Transfer, there is a requirement to have 2 Thai Names as witnesses in the form.

I took a loan from the Dealership (Paid 80% Value), they hold the Blue Book, until I fully closed all the Monthly payments.

They photocopied my Work Permit for reference.....

Edited by iggie

i have bought and sold many cars in thailand although i have had a work permit but i dont think that is necessary. you may just needs something other than a 30 day visa. can get some great deals on second hand cars off foreigners who are leaving thailand. like me for example, i am selling my mitsubishi triton pickup half price of a new one and only 3 years old. thai visa and bahtsold websites have many options.

13 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have bought and sold many cars in thailand although i have had a work permit but i dont think that is necessary. you may just needs something other than a 30 day visa. can get some great deals on second hand cars off foreigners who are leaving thailand. like me for example, i am selling my mitsubishi triton pickup half price of a new one and only 3 years old. thai visa and bahtsold websites have many options.

Selling my Ford Escape, leaving at end of month so bargain to be had!

You got there first though 5555

47 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i still have 3 months to go so i am not in a hurry. bahtsold has worked every time for me so far. sold 2 houses on it as well.

Yes, I put it on a free ad on that site. Previously sold my civic in 2 days on TV but their classifieds are down at the moment.

Will reduce price and put on featured this weekend, maybe better than free ad.

41 minutes ago, DennisF said:

Yes, I put it on a free ad on that site. Previously sold my civic in 2 days on TV but their classifieds are down at the moment.

Will reduce price and put on featured this weekend, maybe better than free ad.

i usually pay a bit to get it to the top of the listings. small investment for helping to get a good result.  can also try farangmart.com. also search for buy/sell pages on facebook. couple good ones as well.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

What do you want for the Triton and where are you located?

1 hour ago, adwbkk said:

You do not need a Thai Guarantor to buy a car

BUT

you do need a Thai Guarantor to get finance to buy a car

Not always the case though about getting finance. I know I needed a Thai when getting a mortgage  but I can't remember needing one when  getting finance for a car.

Nothing wrong with taking a punt on a secondhand car here despite all the noise.  You can get a decent car with a substantial saving on an otherwise unaffordable new car. I bought one from an exhibition from a large dealer called Keng Rama 9.  Got it in my name within 20 minutes, several extras fitted within a week, perfectly valeted like new.  It was 4 years old. Had it 16 months without fault.  Many many Thais bought cars from the same dealer at the time.

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2016 at 4:18 PM, CarlBkk said:

I don't want to live in a country where soon an old lady will be forced to wear a fluorescent jacket and white helmet to mow the village green. Goodbye. 

Are you referring to our home countries ?

the other side of the coin is that Bangkok doesn't have any village greens at all... (which is such a shame).