CM Immigration curiosities.

Dogberry

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbie here. A bit confused by the mixed reports of whether to walk in and take a chance or hire a sitter or agent. I have yet to get my O retirement visa in a couple of weeks so will need to apply for extension mid-Nov to Dec.  Didn't want to start a new thread as my questions are totally germane to the thread.  Just got my income cert letter with Chiang Mai address, question 1: must I apply for extension based on retirement in Chiang Mai?  Can I not do it in Bangkok? Assuming I won't have to go out of my way to go to Bangkok. I have a dependent as well so any agent fees would be doubled and I'd rather not have to pay 12,000 baht on top of the visa fees.  Waiting in the early hours with a child is absolutely out of the question, so getting a sitter would be the way to go, or take a chance and just show up.  Question 2:  Where do you find these sitters and how much do they cost? Did someone mention only 300 baht a piece? Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, kidizen said:

Newbie here. A bit confused by the mixed reports of whether to walk in and take a chance or hire a sitter or agent. I have yet to get my O retirement visa in a couple of weeks so will need to apply for extension mid-Nov to Dec.  Didn't want to start a new thread as my questions are totally germane to the thread.  Just got my income cert letter with Chiang Mai address, question 1: must I apply for extension based on retirement in Chiang Mai?  Can I not do it in Bangkok? Assuming I won't have to go out of my way to go to Bangkok. I have a dependent as well so any agent fees would be doubled and I'd rather not have to pay 12,000 baht on top of the visa fees.  Waiting in the early hours with a child is absolutely out of the question, so getting a sitter would be the way to go, or take a chance and just show up.  Question 2:  Where do you find these sitters and how much do they cost? Did someone mention only 300 baht a piece? Thanks in advance.

you don't need an agent or a "sitter", and you don't need to go "in the early hours." just use common sense. if it's too busy, come back another day.

Went to see an agent today about an upcoming non o marriage extension.

Gave me the details and also a TM 30 form:   Notification form for house owner etc.. Been living with my wife in this house for 14 years and haven't filled this form out. The agent reckons I have to get the wife to fill it in and take it down to Imm where they'll hit me with a 1600 baht fine.

Done fifty 90 day reports and twelve non o extensions and never a mention of this form.

What's the story here? I wonder if other agents have this form too.

1 hour ago, Oscar2 said:

you don't need an agent or a "sitter", and you don't need to go "in the early hours." just use common sense. if it's too busy, come back another day.

Oscar2 you have mentioned earlier on this thread that there is no need to go at 05:00 and join the queue with everyone else. You have said it's easy to get your extension done by turning up during normal hours. Your definition of easy is to go day after day until one day they have a space . Also you mention your wife goes if she's nearby and has a chat with staff to see how busy they are. How many days(weeks?) of visits does it take to get a space? 

Could it be the staff get used to rejecting you and finally squeeze you in because you have tried so hard? or you just get lucky with a quiet day? 

On 15/09/2016 at 7:30 AM, chiang mai said:

I would hope everyone knows about the 45 day prior rule because that's the way to play the game. Start going to Immigration on your renewal date minus 45 days, if there's a queuing problem then go on your renewal date minus 44 days and so on, easy peasy.

I think all these stories about people starting to queue at 2 am and then not getting a number and being forced to return the next day must be very much the exception, either that or they are trying to renew visa's in the peak of high season when there may or may not be a real problem, dunno.

That's a great idea. Will CM Immigration pay the 20-25k a day that I will be losing due to not working?

22 hours ago, harness said:

Gave me the details and also a TM 30 form:   Notification form for house owner etc.. Been living with my wife in this house for 14 years and haven't filled this form out. The agent reckons I have to get the wife to fill it in and take it down to Imm where they'll hit me with a 1600 baht fine.

Done fifty 90 day reports and twelve non o extensions and never a mention of this form.

Yes.  They want their clients to be prepared to handle every possible roadblock that could be thrown up.  The lack of a TM30 form is one common one these days.

9 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

That's a great idea. Will CM Immigration pay the 20-25k a day that I will be losing due to not working?

The retired mob, with their attitude of 'like it or leave', and this guy with a 'it's easy, just go every day' mentality seem to think that noone else has anything to do all day, and don't seem to understand the fact that plenty of expats live and work here, and besides having a job, have a family to support. 

The ' you can afford it, just pay for an agent' mob are also  missing the point that those of us that have been here for more than 5 minutes have seen things involving goverment agencies get easier (remember the Tax Exemption form?) and the disappearance of a need for 'extra fees' .

With more of a stake in the country than retirees, we quite rightly see a need to question what is happening. I pay an agents fee, and it's not a problem, but the trend to it all getting a lot more difficult, with more, not less forms being needed to be filled in, is still a cause to wonder what is going on, and a topic of discussion for some of us. The 'I'm alright Jack' crowd are also free to ignore this topic if they are bothered by our discussion, unless of course they're just here to annoy. 

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

The retired mob, with their attitude of 'like it or leave', and this guy with a 'it's easy, just go every day' mentality seem to think that noone else has anything to do all day, and don't seem to understand the fact that plenty of expats live and work here, and besides having a job, have a family to support. 

The ' you can afford it, just pay for an agent' mob are also  missing the point that those of us that have been here for more than 5 minutes have seen things involving goverment agencies get easier (remember the Tax Exemption form?) and the disappearance of a need for 'extra fees' .

With more of a stake in the country than retirees, we quite rightly see a need to question what is happening. I pay an agents fee, and it's not a problem, but the trend to it all getting a lot more difficult, with more, not less forms being needed to be filled in, is still a cause to wonder what is going on, and a topic of discussion for some of us. The 'I'm alright Jack' crowd are also free to ignore this topic if they are bothered by our discussion, unless of course they're just here to annoy. 

Very nicely put.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

On 9/15/2016 at 4:03 AM, harness said:

harness did you use an agent last year too?

This is something that also crossed my mind as my next extension was due Aug 27th

But instead we decided to move back to our US home for awhile

But like you I had done it for 4 years with no TM30

Also last year I could not get a Que# for my extension so for the 1st time ever used an agent...Really nice I must say

at how fast & smooth things can turn when wheels are greased I guess :rolleyes:

But your post did bring a question to mind.....If this year I had gone again & used same agent & they told

me what they told you I would have told that agent they should pay the fine not me.

After all I paid 10k last year for them to do the job...This TM30 is supposedly not a new law albeit

one that is being enforced for pay mainly in ChiangMai...but in any case if agent did not file it last year

how is the 1600 fine mine?

41 minutes ago, Thailand said:

The fine is on the owner of the house , in your wife's name perhaps? It is the owners responsibility to file the TM30.

Ahh thanks I had them confused as i never did either the TM28 nor had my wife do the TM30 in past years

What worries me is that I've heard  you have to do this form every time you return to Thailand ......within 24 hours of arrival.....even if you go out with a re entry permit.....otherwise another 800 to 1600  baht fine.   Hoping that's not the case.

It's a sting alright and nothing we can do about it.