Clinton: 'Deplorables' comment was "grossly generalistic"

rooster59

Clinton: 'Deplorables' comment was "grossly generalistic"

CATHERINE LUCEY, Associated Press

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — Hillary Clinton said Saturday that she was wrong to put half of Donald Trump's supporters in a "basket of deplorables," but didn't back down from a description of his campaign the Republican nominee said smeared many Americans and would take a political toll.

Less than 24 hours after she made the comments at a private New York City fundraiser,Clinton said in a statement, "last night I was 'grossly generalistic' and that's never a good idea. I regret saying 'half' — that was wrong." But she argued that the word "deplorable" was reasonable to describe much of Trump's campaign.

"He has built his campaign largely on prejudice and paranoia and given a national platform to hateful views and voices, including by retweeting fringe bigots with a few dozen followers and spreading their message to 11 million people," the Democratic nominee said.

Responding in a statement, Trump said it was "disgraceful that Hillary Clinton makes the worst mistake of the political season and instead of owning up to this grotesque attack on American voters, she tries to turn it around with a pathetic rehash of the words and insults used in her failing campaign?"

Trump added that Clinton was showing "bigotry and hatred for millions of Americans," arguing that she was "incapable to serve as President of the United States."

Clinton, who has said she is the candidate to unify a divided country, made the "deplorables" comment at an LGBT fundraiser Friday night at a New York City restaurant, with about 1,000 people in attendance. She has made similar comments recently, including on an Israeli television station.

"To just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it," she said, before stressing that other Trump supporters are frustrated and need sympathy.

Trump and his supporters quickly pounced on the remark, arguing that it revealed Clinton as disconnected from struggling Americans.

"Wow, Hillary Clinton was SO INSULTING to my supporters, millions of amazing, hard-working people. I think it will cost her at the polls!" Trump said in a tweet.

Running mate Mike Pence, in remarks at the Values Voter conference in Washington, shot back: "The truth of the matter is that the men and women who support Donald Trump's campaign are hard-working Americans, farmers, coal miners, teachers, veterans, members of our law enforcement community, members of every class of this country who know that we can make America great again."

Of course, while Clinton is taking heat for her comment, Trump's brand is controversy. At a rally in Pensacola, Florida, on Friday, he said Clinton is "so protected" that "she could walk into this arena right now and shoot somebody with 20,000 people watching, right smack in the middle of the heart. And she wouldn't be prosecuted."

Clinton's rhetorical stumble came as the candidates head into the final two months of the campaign, with Trump trying to make up ground before the Nov. 8 election.

Clinton has not let the media into many private fundraisers, but press was allowed in to hear her remarks Friday. At the New York restaurant, Clinton bemoaned the people she described as "deplorables," saying "unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now how 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America," said Clinton, who was the country's top diplomat during President Barack Obama's first term.

Clinton then pivoted and tried to characterize the other half of Trump's supporters, putting them in "that other basket" and saying they need empathy.

She described them as "people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change."

Seeking to explain the statements, Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill said in a series of tweets after the remarks that Clinton has been talking about the "alternative right," or "alt-right" movement, which often is associated with efforts on the far right to preserve "white identity," oppose multiculturalism and defend "Western values." Merrill argued that "alt-right" leaders are supporting Trump and "their supporters appear to make up half his crowd when you observe the tone of his events."

But the moment recalled comments about voters — also at private fundraisers — that have tripped up presidential nominees in the past.

Weeks before the 2012 election, Republican Mitt Romney landed in hot water for saying that 47 percent of the public would vote for President Barack Obama "no matter what" because they depended on government benefits and his job was "not to worry about those people."

During the 2008 Democratic primary, then-Sen. Obama said that small-town voters "cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

On Saturday, Clinton's staff said she attended another fundraiser at the Armonk, New York, home of attorney David Boies. But reporters traveling with her campaign were not allowed in and did not see her.

Trump, meanwhile, did not address Clinton's comment at his only scheduled public appearance on Saturday, a funeral in St. Louis for social conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly.

Trump noted that Schlafly rooted for the underdog, and "the idea that so-called little people, or the little person that she loved so much, could beat the system — often times, the rigged system."

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-11

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, that politically, it was an unwise thing to say, but she would probably be more correct calling it a bushel of deplorables. ;) Meanwhile, Trump gets away with any crazy batsh*t statements he utters daily. 

What a country, what a disaster, what an embarrassment, both candidates.

Very unwise to be presenting herself as one of the entitled elite by criticising those who support her opponent. Her whole campaign has been couched in the negative ( in stark contrast with Obama 08) but this is going to far.

Just now, keemapoot said:

I agree, that politically, it was an unwise thing to say, but she would probably be more correct calling it a bushel of deplorables. ;) Meanwhile, Trump gets away with any crazy batsh*t statements he utters daily. 

What a country, what a disaster, what an embarrassment, both candidates.

Big difference between what Trump says and the tone/manner in which Clinton disrespects working men and women in America.

14 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Big difference between what Trump says and the tone/manner in which Clinton disrespects working men and women in America.

I do agree with you on this, as I think she is a political, educational, and economic elite. At the same time, Trump certainly is not the first two, but he is more economic elite than the Clintons, and anyone who mistakes his pandering to the unwashed for being genuine concern will be greatly disappointed.

I think this may be the most strategic error Clinton has made and may cost her the presidency as she showed clearly her contempt for the underclass, whereas Trump has been more clever to pretend to care for them and they stupidly believe him.

Edited by keemapoot

1 minute ago, Andaman Al said:

Well at least she said she regrets saying it, Trump would just have denied he said it. What do the deplorables think?

Big difference between "Regret" and "Apologize".

She cannot escape the label of an 'elitist' who basically looks down on anyone who doesn't share her 'world view'

4 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Well at least she said she regrets saying it, Trump would just have denied he said it. What do the deplorables think?

Regret means she is worried about the effect on poll numbers.

Apology means she is worried she has offended a large part of the US population.

Democrats:

Why do you insist that we not only 'accept' but "approve" of all of your minority pet projects like LBGTIQ and yet your gal, Hillary, can talk smack about and have zero acceptance of groups she does not like?

Seems white men continue to be the only subset of Americans that its OK to hate. 

7 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

The so called '' Deplorables '' should be awaiting apologies from the posters that labelled them                   ''  Deplorable '' in agreement with Clinton.

Methinks that they will be absent from this thread :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Apology means she is worried she has offended a large part of the US population.

Democrats:

Why do you insist that we not only 'accept' but "approve" of all of your minority pet projects like LBGTIQ and yet your gal, Hillary, can talk smack about and have zero acceptance of groups she does not like?

Seems white men continue to be the only subset of Americans that its OK to hate. 

This "Deplorables" gaff is strongly reminiscent of Barry's remarks during one of his campaigns talking about rural folks in Pennsylvania being "Bitter Clingers" and trusting to their guns and Bibles.

But actually, the worst part of her speech was where she called opponents “irredeemable” and “not America.” 

Edited by Boon Mee

Well, at least this is a first, Hillary has finally spoken truthfully what she actually believes. In fact it is probably what most politicians really do think about their electorates. In the old days we had the aristocrats thinking they had blue blood, these days it is the political/corporate classes who believe they are destined to rule the ignorant masses as they are "special".

"Oh my word, that evil woman spoke harshly of us, I believe I have the vapors..."

If anything Clinton was far too lenient with the sexist, racist, xenophobic and just plain morons that make up Trump support.  They prove it over and over again, day after day. It's an army of Ted Nugents marching to the beat of Trump's twitter feed. Hate and fear are the hallmarks of this embarrassing campaign by the worst candidate in history. 

She is absolutely 100% right, as usual. The data proves it. The lemmings are a fearful, hateful, low educated bunch. "Trump supporters were always more critical of blacks on personality traits, analysis of the results showed." http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-race-idUSKCN0ZE2SW

"65% of Trump supporters believe Obama is a Muslim."  The online poll, which surveyed people over the age of 18 across the United States, was conducted during two periods in the 2016 election cycle.

69% of Trump supporters view immigrants as a burden to the country. 

87% of Trump supporters think Muslims should be banned from the country. 

52% of Trump supporters still believe LGBT people should not be allowed to marry.

The data, the evidence, the truth, are all there. Hillary was far too nice to the lemmings. 

You can see it above or any US political post here on TVF. The Trumpeteers are racist, xenophobic, sexist, fearful and unrepentant bigots. 

"Oh lord, what that terrible woman said." Jesus wept. 

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Democrats:

Not men in general, bigoted, low-info men and it's not hate...it's pity. 

11 minutes ago, Pinot said:

The Trumpeteers are racist, xenophobic, sexist, fearful and unrepentant bigots. 

"Oh lord, what that terrible woman said." Jesus wept. 

And people who make statements like the above whilst making a reference to a Lord and Jesus.

Might just want to take a long hard look in a mirror :thumbsup:

Pots and kettles, big piles of them :thumbsup:

Edited by SgtRock

3 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

And people who make statements like the above whilst making a reference to a Lord and Jesus.

Might just want to take a long hard look in a mirror :thumbsup:

Pots and kettles, big piles of them :thumbsup:

Really Sgt? "Jesus wept" is a phrase famous for being the shortest verse in the King James Version of the Bible, as well as many other versions. It speaks to the sorrow, sympathy, and compassion Jesus felt for all mankind. The compassion and the frustration I feel for a misguided political movement in my country based on fear and hate. 

Jesus wept. 

2 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Really Sgt? "Jesus wept" is a phrase famous for being the shortest verse in the King James Version of the Bible, as well as many other versions. It speaks to the sorrow, sympathy, and compassion Jesus felt for all mankind. The compassion and the frustration I feel for a misguided political movement in my country based on fear and hate. 

Jesus wept. 

You quote from a book that is the biggest con known to mankind and at the same time hurl insults at people who disagree with your viewpoint :thumbsup:

As I said. Look in the mirror at that huge pile of pots and kettles 

Here's that quote that Obama made in 2008 - condescending to the max:

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Just now, Ulysses G. said:

Hogwash. If it looks like hate and sounds like hate...

I don't have a hateful bone in my body...ah well, there is Clarence Thomas. 

I do hate the bigotry that is the essence of the Trumpeteers. 

6 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Here's that quote that Obama made in 2008 - condescending to the max:

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Succinct and truthful. Thanks Boon, forgot about that one. 

5 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Succinct and truthful. Thanks Boon, forgot about that one. 

Well, seems Clinton was trying to take a page out of Obama's playbook but her remarks knocked the condescension bit right outa the park with flat out insults! :facepalm: