Skewered Children Accidents

tutsiwarrior

I was just out front and found my 4 y.o. niece contentedly eating sausages on a bamboo skewer along with her 3 and 4 y.o. playmates from next door. The 3 y.o. who is terrified of me and I believe of falangs in general started to whimper and his 4 y.o. brother put his arms protectively over his head thereby forcing the former's skewer underneath his little chin. I then rushed to remove the lethal pointed object luckily before there was any type of wound.

I find it crazy to give small children sharply pointed objects generally speaking and I can see the potential for accidents happening with these skewers that routinely are dispensed from carts and food stalls. Anyone got any horror stories or a way to convince thai spouses to be careful without elliciting the thai equivalent of an eyeball roll and 'what will these clazy falangs think of next...?'

(and yeah, I know...'how are we gonna get them to worry about bloody skewers when the 4 y.o. niece rides forward on the motorbike holding onto the handlebars with the 13 y.o. stepdaughter driving and two other nieces seated to the rear?...')

sheesh...de pain ob bein' a falang wid falang sensibilities...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

TUTSI,

u have to do like my mother used to do when we let our kids crawl around in the dirt, climb, etc all over the kibbutz, w/o worrying too much about germs, falls, etc... our kids turned out to be pretty tought, hardy, afraid of nothing...

so; say this to yourself everytime, as a chant-- i'm not even going to watch-- and then turn your head in the other direction...

my kid nearly had a fit when we all drove off to korat zoo, with 21 -, yes, 21 people packed in to the pickup, with two babies in front seat w/o car seat, etc... she got used to it all fast though.

yesterday she went off to help families in shderot that have kessam bombs falling on them daily, and didnt bat an eyelash. am i missing something here --- = sorry no shift for ponctuation marks...

bina and anon

TUTSI,

u have to do like my mother used to do when we let our kids crawl around in the dirt, climb, etc all over the kibbutz, w/o worrying too much about germs, falls, etc... our kids turned out to be pretty tought, hardy, afraid of nothing...

so; say this to yourself everytime, as a chant-- i'm not even going to watch-- and then turn your head in the other direction...

my kid nearly had a fit when we all drove off to korat zoo, with 21 -, yes, 21 people packed in to the pickup, with two babies in front seat w/o car seat, etc... she got used to it all fast though.

yesterday she went off to help families in shderot that have kessam bombs falling on them daily, and didnt bat an eyelash. am i missing something here --- = sorry no shift for ponctuation marks...

bina and anon

yeah, bina I hear you regarding germs, dirt and falls, etc., but draw the line with sharp pointed sticks. What if the babies decide to do a West Side Story rumble number if someone's sausage gets stolen?

I get alarmed when I see young school kids using those folding disposable razor blades as pencil sharpeners.

What can you do when all the kids in school use them, they grow up with them and don't seem to hurt themselves.

If it was me, i'd have no finger tips left.

I get alarmed when I see young school kids using those folding disposable razor blades as pencil sharpeners.

What can you do when all the kids in school use them, they grow up with them and don't seem to hurt themselves.

If it was me, i'd have no finger tips left.

jaysus...and them little plastic pencil sharpeners are cheap and available all over the place as well...although I can buy a dozen at beginning of term and they have all disappeared within a week or two...

it is amazing how young thai kids take major/minor hazards as routine...the motorbike scenario being a good example...

in a former work i was a safety manager and i fought with the factory engineer -- a windshield and glasss factory- btw - about safety. his motto was that if it was TOO SAFE then the workers become complacent so better an element of danger. keep in mind that this is in middle east not switzerland, so rules are made to be bent. maybe they LEARN to be careful as opposed to following safety prevention measures but ARENT careful which is a good way to get hurt.

tutsi just provide enough sausages plus spares===