Can anyone help to identify this engine part?

rayinkrabi

Sorry but I uploaded this before I had finished...My 2001 VW Passat 2.3 v5 is having extensive work done and the mechanic (who speaks v little to 'No' English) can not explain what this is.  

He can source the parts for me but at around 5 or 10 times what I see them for on Ebay...hard work though as I am not a Mechanic :-)

Thanks in advance for any help yo can give.

Cheers, Ray.

Yep, I believe that is the Water Pump on the top but it's the Bearing below that has me stumped , it's attached to a shaft about 5 inches long so maybe it is what Don Mega suggests?...I'll have another search...thanks (Oh, and I think thats just the  VW 'Part Number')

19 minutes ago, rayinkrabi said:

Sorry but I uploaded this before I had finished...My 2001 VW Passat 2.3 v5 is having extensive work done and the mechanic (who speaks v little to 'No' English) can not explain what this is.  

He can source the parts for me but at around 5 or 10 times what I see them for on Ebay...hard work though as I am not a Mechanic :-)

Thanks in advance for any help yo can give.

Cheers, Ray.

The bearing won't be a problem IMO your task is to source the housing part yourself if the mechanic is talking large amounts, can you not get to speak to a mechanic who speaks English or get someone to translate for you. 

Thanks all for your input...yea it seems my 'translator' is actually complicating stuff (as usual) but the mechanic does seem to be v capable and knowledgeable so I want to stick with him (apart from the fact my motor is immovable at the mo)..:-)...

Thanks to Jay I will certainly also give vee-dubs a try as I'm lucky to have another mate in England who will bring this stuff to me in November 

23 hours ago, rayinkrabi said:

Thanks all for your input...yea it seems my 'translator' is actually complicating stuff (as usual) but the mechanic does seem to be v capable and knowledgeable so I want to stick with him (apart from the fact my motor is immovable at the mo)..:-)...

Thanks to Jay I will certainly also give vee-dubs a try as I'm lucky to have another mate in England who will bring this stuff to me in November 

Good info, l forgot to mention if the casing housing the pump assembly is OK then you only need pump parts so good to go. :thumbsup:

On 13/09/2016 at 7:45 AM, Kwasaki said:

Good info, l forgot to mention if the casing housing the pump assembly is OK then you only need pump parts so good to go. :thumbsup:

It looks to be an ally casing. If an attempt is made to press the existing bearing out, there's a high chance it will break. Also the pump impellor will be pressed on to the shaft. I think it really is a case of replacing the whole thing.

Thermostat and timing belts (+tensioner & idler) should be replaced at the same time.

it could possibly from the front of a Mitsubishi motor, like an Astron or a Sirius 1850/1995/2600cc, vintage 1974 through to 1986.

I say this as the bottom bearing end seems similar to that for the 'Silent Shaft', also known as 'Smooth Shaft"

17 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

It looks to be an ally casing. If an attempt is made to press the existing bearing out, there's a high chance it will break. Also the pump impellor will be pressed on to the shaft. I think it really is a case of replacing the whole thing.

Thermostat and timing belts (+tensioner & idler) should be replaced at the same time.

I get what you say,  it's just l would certainly try removing both parts from the casing first before ordering.

The casing is probable the most expensive item so a drop penetrating oil and a gentle warm up may do the trick. :)

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I get what you say,  it's just l would certainly try removing both parts from the casing first before ordering.

The casing is probable the most expensive item so a drop penetrating oil and a gentle warm up may do the trick. :)

Its worth a try. Hope the OP reports back on the outcome.

20 hours ago, tifino said:

it could possibly from the front of a Mitsubishi motor, like an Astron or a Sirius 1850/1995/2600cc, vintage 1974 through to 1986.

I say this as the bottom bearing end seems similar to that for the 'Silent Shaft', also known as 'Smooth Shaft"

Much more likely to be from a 2001 VW Passat 2.3 v5.