Video: Armed Bangkok taxi driver attacked and detained by the mob!

webfact

Video: Armed Bangkok taxi driver attacked and detained by the mob!

p6.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver who hit a man sitting by the side of the road in Bangkok was attacked by a mob who refused to let him go.

A video was posted on Facebook showing the driver with a facial injury and the angry mob preventing him fleeing the scene, reported Sanook.

A gun was also displayed in the near four minute clip.

A police patrol from the South Samrong, Samut Prakarn station soon arrived on the scene and detained the driver called Anuphon Setjantheuk.

They said that the incident occurred in Soi Premruthai 10 on Saturday night.

Police found drugs in the driver's system and said that the weapon was a BB gun.

He was remanded in custody and charged with drugs and weapons offences.

The video was taken by a member of the public and posted on Facebook on a page called "Phom Wai Run Tham Gin Sang Tua". The poster commented that the driver had pointed the gun at his friend's father.

The driver was wearing a DOPA jacket - this stands for Department of Provincial Administration, a government agency connected to the Interior Ministry.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-12

9 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

I'm not convinced that mob justice is better than no justice, but it's certainly more regular and consistent.

When the police are so incompetent,  corrupt and so damn lazy, then mod justice will increase.

I felt a little sad there looking at the driver.

He looks like someone's Dad, trying to Get by .. He deserves a fair trial to explain the lack of active policing and lawlessness is the need to carry a BB gun, rather than the instant punishment by a pack of animals.

Im not trying to condone his actions because we don't know the full story - but the absence of a real police force could be part of the blame.

Edited by recom273

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

I'm not convinced that mob justice is better than no justice, but it's certainly more regular and consistent.

you are right. people should not take law into their own hands. they could have detained him and handed him over to the please.

50 minutes ago, recom273 said:

He looks like someone's Dad, trying to Get by .. He deserves a fair trial to explain the lack of active policing and lawlessness is the need to carry a BB gun, rather than the instant punishment by a pack of animals.

Im not trying to condone his actions because we don't know the full story - but the absence of a real police force could be part of the blame.

one side of the story is definitely well explained by you that he is somebody's father and husband. public should not act against him other than handing him over to the police.

58 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I've said it before, the absence of a real police force is partly to blame for a lot of Thailand's ills. (Which is why the elite are in no real hurry to reform them...)

I don`t believe in mob justice and no one outside the law has the right to lay their hands on somebody else and take charge of their personal belongings.  They should have detained him using reasonable force within the physical assaults.  It`s wrong and all those involved in the assaults should also be arrested and changed with ABH.

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

When the police are so incompetent,  corrupt and so damn lazy, then mod justice will increase.

I agree, people are starting to see the light that they don't have to be treated like slaves or second class citizens and <deleted> trying to ride rough shod over them and are rightfully starting to react.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

This is Thailand that is the way people behave.  Like it or not the driver will have known the likely consequences of his actions.  Maybe on another day he would have been one of the mob!  There is no point in trying to hang western values on Thailand's hat stand.  It is a lawless corrupt country, but it is their country 

This video doesn't match their story at all. 

It looks to me like a group of fat guttless bullies ganging up on a tiny little old man twice their age. 

I can't even count how many laws those shetheads broke. 

Let's start with grievous bodily assault, trespassing, theft, threatening, bullying, and after dark offences. If they were police, they would be prosecuted. 

2 wrongs don't make a right. 

Citizens arrest does not mean 5 people get to beat up on 1 wrongdoer. 

Poor man. 

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

This is Thailand that is the way people behave.  Like it or not the driver will have known the likely consequences of his actions.  Maybe on another day he would have been one of the mob!  There is no point in trying to hang western values on Thailand's hat stand.  It is a lawless corrupt country, but it is their country 

This is the regulation TV opposing opinion - Sorry, Just because I live in Thailand doesn't mean I have to dispense with my own values ( I don't consider them to be western, but if it makes you feel happy to hang a label ) 

There are so many sad stories here, how can another poster oppose my own personal feeling .. I'm not disagreeing that we live in an animal house, but just don't hang your locally adopted rhetoric on my hat stand.

6 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Western values hey? Ahh the superior culture thinking. Lol.. you don't  know much about the world do you!

Ask people who live in cities like Detroit where there is no policing or garbage collection in some areas due to lack of public money and corruption.  Google Detroit and corruption and see the hits from police to school principals to city hall. Thailand may not be perfect, but we are far from it too! 

I agree with the others regarding mob justice though. Just detain the man and hand over to the police.

8 hours ago, sahibji said:

you are between the devil and the deep blue sea. one possible way out is not to stop but go and report to the police station.

The Thai wife has made it VERY clear that we are never to stop after an accident not involving us directly - unless the person hurt is a Farang.  She said we can call the cops/ambulance (on her phone only) but we must never stop.  She has seen what happens to Farangs that stop and try to help at an accident involving Thais only.  Red Bull heir in reverse.

The guy was detained the mob had good reason to protect one another given the weapons and if that guy had been given an inch he would have taken a mile and tried to escape more. He got a few slaps worse happens in playgrounds. He cried like a baby because hopefully he felt shame or maybe just wanted to show fake remorse. Mob - concerned citizens as it should. Nice thought that, the taxi driver carrying a gun and I hear a lot of em do. Good luck with that.