Broke In Bangkok 101: The 100 Baht A Day Survival Guide

webfact

Broke In Bangkok 101: The 100 Baht A Day Survival Guide

Steve Edwards

broke-in-bangkok-1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- And so it comes to pass one morning, after six months of robust merriment – most of which you cannot recall – that you search through your pockets only to unearth a beer Chang bottle cap, a half eaten packet of Lays Originals, and absolutely nothing resembling convertible currency.

Congratulations, you are skint.

Flat broke. Tapped out. Penniless. On the bones of your arse.

Bangkok isn’t a nice place to be when you have no money, in fact it’s positively terrifying. The streets and sub sois which were once pulsating veins, bristling with smiling faces and a vibrant assortment of bars, pubs and roadside eateries, are now cold, stoney corridors oozing a thick fug of raw sewage and cheap incense fumes.

Sitting in your apartment now, with the Channel Three news providing a soundtrack to your woeful situation, you weigh up the options.

Buoyed at the thought of Great Auntie Jean’s thrice annual contributions to your bank account, one of which is due next week, you go hat-in-hand to an acquaintance and borrow 300 baht.

It must last you three days.

100 baht a day.

Is it possible to lead a rich and fulfilling existence on such a meagre sum? Well, yes. I think you’ll find it is.

Starting with breakfast, you can’t go far wrong with a packet of Mama Noodles.

At six baht per bag, Mama comes in a variety of different flavours, the most popular being Moo Sub and Tom Yum Goong, and provides adequate carbohydrates to see you through until lunch. After adding the accompanying condiments, Mama makes for a reasonablytasty morning meal.

But you wouldn’t want to eat it everyday. Having to eat it everyday would be very upsetting indeed.

A cigarette is next on the agenda.

That one most sacred of postprandial activities can surely not be eschewed even in these trying times. Not only will it bring cessation to your breakfast but a few puffs of the hallowed leaf will serve to bid farewell to any remaining traces of hunger.

Due to our forced parsimony, the likes of Marlboro, L&M, Wonder, and even the mega-budget SMS are all off the menu today.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/broke-in-bangkok-101-the-100-baht-a-day-survival-guide/

-- What's new on Sukumvit 2016-09-12

Correct, NickJ!

I would have believed the author if he'd just stated that in his pockets he found; a condom, a lighter (20% gas left), an expired TOPS Supermarket discount voucher, a rubber band, a 25 Satang Coin, two 7Eleven 1Baht stamps, a Tic-Tac (sticky and full of dirt) and an old, whitened-out ATM slip... :)

I myself lived on 3.500 THB a month in a small town, in the very deep south of Thailand over two decades ago, and must say that those were some of the best days of my life!

40 minutes ago, MockingJay said:

Correct, NickJ!

I would have believed the author if he'd just stated that in his pockets he found; a condom, a lighter (20% gas left), an expired TOPS Supermarket discount voucher, a rubber band, a 25 Satang Coin, two 7Eleven 1Baht stamps, a Tic-Tac (sticky and full of dirt) and an old, whitened-out ATM slip... :)

I myself lived on 3.500 THB a month in a small town, in the very deep south of Thailand over two decades ago, and must say that those were some of the best days of my life!

Unfortunately, nostalgia ain't what it used to be. ?

100b a day? I've done it. Gets a bit boring but it's possible on less even. 3 mama noodles a day with cut up tomatoes and some other veg and you have a good meal. You can even splurge on a pad thai once in a while. I usually budget 400B a day and rarely go over. I don't smoke or drink. I live in CM old town.

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Brexit aftermath..... although if it were me I would head back to work in the old country if I was under 1k a day for the bare bone minims ie just existing ....:coffee1: 

I think there are some person in Thailand, which probably would go back, if they had the money for the ticket.

And then there are some even they would become a ticket home for free would stay in Thailand with maybe less than 100 baht per day.

3 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I think there are some person in Thailand, which probably would go back, if they had the money for the ticket.

And then there are some even they would become a ticket home for free would stay in Thailand with maybe less than 100 baht per day.

I agree. Although why anyone would as a farang live poorer than a Thai farmer is beyond me..some people have no shame

6 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Brexit aftermath..... although if it were me I would head back to work in the old country if I was under 1k a day for the bare bone minimums ie just existing ....:coffee1: 

Tesco's,  Asda,  Sainsbury's,  are waiting for you. :lol:

6 hours ago, MockingJay said:

Correct, NickJ!

I would love to hear the stories

11 hours ago, HampiK said:

like to meet these rare species.

Years and years ago there was a guy that used to hang out with a group of us. He fell on hard times. Downgraded and downgraded.  In the end. We donated the price of a ticket. So he could go home. Even added a little extra. He was so happy. Touched even. He  didn't leave. He downgraded again. Stopped coming around.......... 

On 9/12/2016 at 4:48 PM, mulder12345 said:

100b a day? I've done it. Gets a bit boring but it's possible on less even. 3 mama noodles a day with cut up tomatoes and some other veg and you have a good meal. You can even splurge on a pad thai once in a while. I usually budget 400B a day and rarely go over. I don't smoke or drink. I live in CM old town.

Utterly impossible if you don't live here and need a place to sleep.