Phuket Airport new terminal opening this week

backstairs

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that connecting flights, so arrival in BKK, connection to Phuket, will now arrive at domestic terminal with also immigration and bagage claim done in Bangkok? The check in luggage of the international guests of those flights used to arrive at international, the check in luggage of domestic guests at domestic.

Does this mean that connecting flights, so arrival in BKK, connection to Phuket, will now arrive at domestic terminal with also immigration and bagage claim done in Bangkok? The check in luggage of the international guests of those flights used to arrive at international, the check in luggage of domestic guests at domestic.

Couple months back I flew into bkk on way to phuket. I only had carryon no checked bags. I was required to clear customs in bkk. Normally on international flight the first point of arrival in a country is where you must clear immigration and customs.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

7 minutes ago, 2fishin2 said:

Couple months back I flew into bkk on way to phuket. I only had carryon no checked bags. I was required to clear customs in bkk. Normally on international flight the first point of arrival in a country is where you must clear immigration and customs.

That's not strictly true. If fly through BKK to Phuket on Thai airlines (all the way) or an Alliance group airline then the bags are checked through to PKT and clear immigration in PKT. At least that's the way I did in in the distant past. Maybe changed now ? But now that I think about last time I flew BKK to PKT on Thai airlines I still saw those people the the yellow CIQ stickers (Customer in Quarantine) to designate who had to be diverted to international arrivals area.

9 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

That's not strictly true. If fly through BKK to Phuket on Thai airlines (all the way) or an Alliance group airline then the bags are checked through to PKT and clear immigration in PKT. At least that's the way I did in in the distant past. Maybe changed now ? But now that I think about last time I flew BKK to PKT on Thai airlines I still saw those people the the yellow CIQ stickers (Customer in Quarantine) to designate who had to be diverted to international arrivals area.

Exactly, that's why I am wondering about this. Especially since the checked in luggage always arrived in international for connecting passengers.

Edited by stevenl

18 minutes ago, 2fishin2 said:

This is not correct, You clear immigration in Bangkok (if you transfer to a domestic airport with customs clearance capabilities) and pick up your luggage and clear customs at your destination airport. (Phuket)

Only how this now works in Phuket is still a mystery to me.

As the intentional part is now in the new terminal you can not go from the domestic to the international terminal to pick up your bag as your are not allowed to enter the belt area arriving from outside the terminal.

I remember from Don Muang that they had a bus driving airside from the domestic to the international terminal for people requiring lugage pick from the international terminal.

Maybe this is also done in Phuket.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

I think it's likely that immigration is done at Bangkok and the customs cleared at Phuket's domestic terminal. 

This is normal practice.

But with opening of the new international terminal the old international section is closed and no luggage can be collected there.

Looks like that the effected passengers have to transferred somehow to the international terminal for collecting their luggage and custom clearance.

At Don Muang this was done with a airside bus which traveled from the domestic to the international terminal.

Flew in yesterday from doha. Can confirm 2fishin2 information. Old terminal only for domestic and new for international.

My impression was good. But no fast track at immigration and no lane for thais. Also it was  busy and hot. Looks like they save energie and menpower. Had to wait about 2o min.

Also they xray now all luggage. Was my first time in 25 years that they checked and xrayed my luggage. They were surprised when they saw my 20kg of food and whey but after some sentence baagwan they let me pass without problems.

So overall it was fine and also got to the car easy and dry now through this new bridge.

12 minutes ago, schlog said:

Correct.

That contradicts 2fishin2's information " Normally on international flight the first point of arrival in a country is where you must clear immigration and customs. "

Did you have a connecting flight?

Edited by stevenl

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That contradicts 2fishin2's information " Normally on international flight the first point of arrival in a country is where you must clear immigration and customs. "

Yesterday not but many times in the past. So i go with oilinkis post.

But it's all a interlining question of the airlines and all ways are possible but i guess based on my flights in past that most have to clear immigration in bkk and customs in hkt.

Edited by schlog

8 minutes ago, schlog said:

Yesterday not but many times in the past. So i go with oilinkis post.

But it's all a interlining question of the airlines and all ways are possible but i guess based on my flights in past that most have to clear immigration in bkk and customs in hkt.

Thanks, but that means the question still stands: where to clear customs/collect check in luggage. Used to be the international side of the old terminal. Are people now bused to the new terminal? Or is there a luggage collection/customs part in the old terminal?

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You only clear immigration in Bangkok is you arrive in Bangkok (first point of entry) on a international flight and transfer (via the transfer immigration counter) to a domestic airport which has customs clearance like Phuket.

So immigration in Bangkok and customs in Phuket, this is only applicable off course if you don't have checked luggage.

Now with the new international terminal it will interesting to see how they solve this.

9 minutes ago, merijn said:

You only clear immigration in Bangkok is you arrive in Bangkok (first point of entry) on a international flight and transfer (via the transfer immigration counter) to a domestic airport which has customs clearance like Phuket.

So immigration in Bangkok and customs in Phuket, this is only applicable off course if you don't have checked luggage.

Now with the new international terminal it will interesting to see how they solve this.

I presume customs (so luggage collection) at the new terminal, but I'd like confirmation. Looks like I'll have to wait for that confirmation for a bit.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I presume customs (so luggage collection) at the new terminal, but I'd like confirmation. Looks like I'll have to wait for that confirmation for a bit.

I would think so as the international section at the now domestic terminal is closed.

A friend of my is arriving in a few days and he will let me know how it works with the two terminals.

I suspect that they transfer the effected passengers by airside bus to the new terminal like they did at Don Muang.

1 hour ago, merijn said:

I would think so as the international section at the now domestic terminal is closed.

A friend of my is arriving in a few days and he will let me know how it works with the two terminals.

I suspect that they transfer the effected passengers by airside bus to the new terminal like they did at Don Muang.

In that case both the passenger and his luggage would need to be transferred from the old terminal to the new one.

It would be simpler and much more convenient to simply separate the international traveller's luggage at the old terminal and provide customs service for these travellers. Just like they did at the old terminal before. This time the customs at the old terminal could be much smaller as there are just few passengers who need the service. 

15 minutes ago, oilinki said:

In that case both the passenger and his luggage would need to be transferred from the old terminal to the new one.

It would be simpler and much more convenient to simply separate the international traveller's luggage at the old terminal and provide customs service for these travellers. Just like they did at the old terminal before. This time the customs at the old terminal could be much smaller as there are just few passengers who need the service. 

The luggage had to be separated always already, nothing changed.

Only the international luggage is not driven to the old international belts but to the new terminal instead.

I don't think that they keep a separate group of customs officers and X-ray equipment in the domestic terminal for a few international bags.

The only extra work is to bus the effected passengers to the new terminal which is not difficult as there are many buses available and the doors are located at the belt entrance area.

7 minutes ago, merijn said:

The luggage had to be separated always already, nothing changed.

Only the international luggage is not driven to the old international belts but to the new terminal instead.

I don't think that they keep a separate group of customs officers and X-ray equipment in the domestic terminal for a few international bags.

The only extra work is to bus the effected passengers to the new terminal which is not difficult as there are many buses available and the doors are located at the belt entrance area.

There is also the case when a person flies from Phuket, via Bangkok to international destination. These customers would also benefit of  the possibility to check in their luggage to all the way to their destination. 

As these are mainly Thai Airways customers, the company might have an influence what is the wanted service level offered to their customers. I guess it also depends of the amount of people who fly from Phuket to BKK and then forward. 

So at the end of the day, there are two logical solutions. The implementation depends of the passenger numbers as well as the service level Thai Airways wishes. 

We'll have to wait for your friend to arrive to see what is the case. Unless someone else manages to do the test run before. 

Flew in yesterday from doha. Can confirm 2fishin2 information. Old terminal only for domestic and new for international.

My impression was good. But no fast track at immigration and no lane for thais. Also it was  busy and hot. Looks like they save energie and menpower. Had to wait about 2o min.

Also they xray now all luggage. Was my first time in 25 years that they checked and xrayed my luggage. They were surprised when they saw my 20kg of food and whey but after some sentence baagwan they let me pass without problems.

So overall it was fine and also got to the car easy and dry now through this new bridge.

thank you finally a person with real current info. I also flew from doha to phuket and return last week.

You armchair chair quarterbacks with no current information just confuse everybody.

Sorry about the crazy posts looks like website issue. To clarify if you arrive at terminal one you pick bags up there if at terminal two you pick them up there. Lol come on guys use you noggins with this. Remember part of entry is baggage customs also. Do you really think you would have to go to a completely different terminal and transit into a cleared sterile area just to claim bags again. No way in the world would you do that and especially at that small airport. Again 1 is international 2 domestic. Bags are picked up and customs performed there also. Look at the link I posted earlier for flight information. But if everything fails and is too confusing, just follow the signs at your respective airport. Traveling isnt the rocket science some of you are trying to make it out to be

I started this thread cause I was going to BKK.  I was searching for news.  No one knew.  ANd no website clarified.  On the way back BKK Air docked at the bridge in old Term 1 which is by the Bus Class Lounge.  As we deplaned ALL the CQI international people were told to wait to one side.  When I came in from AMsterdam a month ago it was out through Domestic and wander round to INternational Bags.  So why were the CIQs being held to one side?  To march them all to the new Term 1?

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I would just like to finally nail this down ..

The old terminal is called terminal 1 and handles only domestic flights

The new terminal is called terminal 2 and handles only international flights

Does everyone agree with that ?

No.

For me it seems that the new terminal has taken the role of terminal 1 and thus leaving terminal 2 status to the old terminal.

But this as well could be wrong, until we are advised by the authorities. 

19 minutes ago, 2fishin2 said:

Heres the info again

Judging from the arrivals/departures listed in the link above it would appear that:

Terminal 1 is the new International Terminal and
Terminal 3 [sic] is the old (now) Domestic Terminal

Terminal 2 is not listed as the terminal for any arrivals or departures at the link given.