Thai authorities downplay Zika risk, worried by tourism impact

webfact

Thai authorities downplay Zika risk, worried by tourism impact

By Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Aukkarapon Niyomyat

BANGKOK: -- Health and city officials in Thailand downplayed risks from rising infections from the mosquito-borne Zika virus, which is linked to serious birth defects, and expressed concern that disclosing information would damage its tourism industry.

On Friday the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDPC) warned of the increasing spread in Thailand of Zika, which can cause microcephaly in unborn children.

Thailand is combating the risk by misting and spraying mosquito-infested areas, said Anuttarasakdi Ratchatatat, epidemiologist at the health ministry's Bureau of Vector Borne Disease.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-zika-thailand-idUSKCN11I0JK?il=0

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2016-09-13

" Disclosing information might damage the tourism industry " is a dangerous statement but only to be expected however the authorities have set themselves up as no one will believe anything they say now.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I'm speechless:wai:

Health and city officials in Thailand downplayed risks from rising infections from the mosquito-borne Zika virus, which is linked to serious birth defects, and expressed concern that disclosing information would damage its tourism industry.

• "We don’t want people to be too alarmed."
  • "The truth is we don’t know the extent of the Zika spread in Thailand," he added.
  • Thailand has one of the highest number in the region, with more than 100 confirmed since January.
  • ministry epidemiologist Anuttarasakdi added that it did not want to deter tourists.
  • "The information on Zika is quite sensitive because if we say which province has infections then attention will turn on that province, and if that province is popular with tourists it will have an impact on tourism,"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-authorities-downplay-Zika-risk-worried-by-tou-30295121.html

I thought after the SARS outbreak and cover-up in China, South East Asia would have

learned something about public health transparency. I guess not, or at least not in

Thailand. Money and profit is KING. :coffee1:

5 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

" Disclosing information might damage the tourism industry " is a dangerous statement but only to be expected however the authorities have set themselves up as no one will believe anything they say now.

I didn't think anyone believed them anyway. Let tourists come to an infected area by withholding information. This is exactly what the tourism industry needs; blatant lies

51 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I didn't think anyone believed them anyway. Let tourists come to an infected area by withholding information. This is exactly what the tourism industry needs; blatant lies

I know what you mean but I'm thinking there may be some intending tourists who don't know how things work here and may be fooled into believing a govt wouldn't mislead about something so potentially serious.

Aah they have a lot to learn Grasshopper.

1 hour ago, clockman said:

In the year 2003. The Chinese government covered up the SARS outbreak, As result hundreds died in Hong Kong.!

Margaret CHAN Hong Kong's Director of Medical and Health at the time was widely criticized for her lack of action and readiness to accept everything the Mainland authorities said about the outbreak but an official enquiry cleared her of wrongdoing and blamed the health system in HK for the problems.

CHAN then left govt service and joined the World Health Organization of which she subsequently became Director General

14 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I know what you mean but I'm thinking there may be some intending tourists who don't know how things work here and may be fooled into believing a govt wouldn't mislead about something so potentially serious.

Aah they have a lot to learn Grasshopper.

I am sure that is what they are counting on

2 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I am sure that is what they are counting on

As you said in ID 11 blatant lies is exactly what the tourist industry needs so imagine the lovely adverse publicity if tourists pick up the infection in the face of govt ' nothing wrong ' assurances.

Some years ago I was living on Koh Samui. I can read Thai and as I drove around the island there were all these large signs up in Thai warning about dengue fever and listing precautions people should take. Not a word in English because they didn't want to alarm the tourists.

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

As you said in ID 11 blatant lies is exactly what the tourist industry needs so imagine the lovely adverse publicity if tourists pick up the infection in the face of govt ' nothing wrong ' assurances.

Probably blame the tourists for contracting it outside of Thailand.

I made a little chart that might be useful to include on tourist brochures.

Thailand value of life calculator:

Members of Thai elite: at least 100

Thais with enough means to be of some service to Thai elite: 1

Thai lower class: 0

Foreigners: 0

Animals: 0

You can use it with all value of life conversions in Thailand. Try it. It really works!

On September 12, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Thechook said:

Everyone keep your mouths shut and don't tell tourists about Zika, we want thier money.

Attitudes like this is the reason for Thailand's downfall.  

Only the lowest scums of the earth will put tourism dollars over the safety of newborns.

It's not like tourist will check any Thai authority or Thai tourist web page to check on Zika or other problems in Thailand before booking. They will be warned by the authorities in their home countries or at least check the local news websites and international news outlets.
The information is already out there. [emoji5]