Quality of Life in Pattaya-Jomtien: Increasing or Decreasing

Awohalitsiktoli

Quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien over the past ten years: increasing or decreasing?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Given the obvious fact that not all development has been positive or negative, has the overall quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien increased or decreased over the past ten years?

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a poll to assess whether or not the overall quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien has increased or decreased over the past ten years.  Please consider quality of life in terms of the following:  crime, pollution (air, water, noise), medical care, food choices (e.g. imported food, etc), infrastructure (streets, water, electricity), internet quality, traffic (including parking), beachfront development, green spaces, hotels/condos, and type of people coming here.  There are probably other things to consider, but all of these things impact quality of life.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say in terms of  crime, pollution,water management,traffic,green spaces,type of people  and beach front development (if by that you mean the promenade and sand on beach ) quality has decreased

in terms of  medical care,food choices,shopping choices ,electricity,internet and immigration moving to Jomtien quality has increased. ...so improvements in some areas but degradation in others.

1 hour ago, johng said:

I would say in terms of  crime, pollution,water management,traffic,green spaces,type of people  and beach front development (if by that you mean the promenade and sand on beach ) quality has decreased

in terms of  medical care,food choices,shopping choices ,electricity,internet and immigration moving to Jomtien quality has increased. ...so improvements in some areas but degradation in others.

I agree with that.

Everything to do with services is better and everything to do with people is worse.

Can't think of too many things that have made Pattaya worse except the increase in illegal daily condo rentals and the number of Chinese tourists on group bus tours.  I don't have a problem with the Pattaya Beach walkway--I just wish they had improved the sidewalks on the other side of the road where the shops are.  Extending Jomtien Second Road to Sukumvit and widening Thappraya Road were positive road improvements, the tunnel project so far a very costly negative.  A new hospital, a new outpatient facility by Bangkok Hospital in Jomtien, lots and lots of new stores and restaurants plus Harbor Mall are all positives in my book--as is more reliable and faster internet that usually works now even when it rains.  And, let's not forget Central Festival.  Cartoon Network Waterpark and the other new waterpark are nice additions to family entertainment, as will be the ice skating rink at Harbor Mall.  If the almost finished The Bay entertainment/restaurant complex on Pattaya Beach Road ever opens it should be a plus. New things like the International Fireworks Festival and free Beach concerts now and then are pluses.  Someone  moving to Pattaya today has many more housing choices both for buying or renting than I had when I arrived less than 7 years ago--and in all price ranges.  The ocean water is probably still dirty and I would never swim in it but the beaches are cleaner--at least the ones I go to.  Overall, I think my positives are many more than my negatives.

Much nicer 10 years ago

No  Cars and pick ups with music blasting out all night.

No Second road jomtien,  its a F1 race track now.

Only 1-2 Lady boys in jomtien on the streets, 

( were at the top of soi white house waiting to high jack drunk Norwegians )

The nose level was fine 10 years ago,   now its not so good.

No Russians or Chinese around or very few.

The general feel of jomtien is now a bit hostile.

can blame,    the above for that.

The Beach was never great,  but they keep digging up the foot path  along the beach every 4-5 years  total mess,   a very obvious tea money project.

Don't think i will be in Jomtien in 5 years time.   it is not the same now days.

its getting near time to move over the dark side.

4 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Don't you think the survey should be limited to people who have actually visited Pattaya?  Reading about it on TV one would think everyone was going to turn into a pillar of salt any second.  

Yes, and only people who have actually been here 10 years (or have a 10 year perspective on the place) should participate in the poll.  People who have been here under 10 years are unable to answer the question truthfully because they have no real idea what Pattaya-Jomtien was like 10 years ago.

13 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Realists will always see improvement and expansion as an increase in the quality of life, tree huggers and sentimentalists will always yearn for times gone by regardless of the benefits for everyone else.

Spoken just like a cancer cell. :)  Improvement and expansion are fine if they involve development that is humane, equitable and environmentally sound (sustainable development).  Most sane people do not believe "expansion" in terms of air, water and soil pollution is good, or that expansion in terms of garbage is good (just ask the people who live on Kho Larn), or that expansion in terms of crime is good.   "Tree huggers?"  Do you have any knowledge of biology/ecology?  A hint for you:  trees/forests/plants are extremely valuable, especially for animal species (I am assuming you are a human animal) that value oxygen.  They also absorb (temporarily sequester) CO2, which is heating up the planet.  And "benefits" are currently not going to "everyone else."  Do you have any knowledge at all of economic inequality worldwide?  Nobody is saying growth is inherently bad or that we have not seen positive improvements in Pattaya-Jomtien.  It is obvious that the outcomes of development here have been both positive and negative.  The question remains:  On balance, has Pattaya-Jomtien seen an overall increase or decrease in quality of life?

have only done 8 years. water quality down, i dont swim in the ocean any more. immigration soi 5 is very good now. value for money excellent. rents ahave not gone up, which means in real terms they have gone down. beers still 60thb and girls still happy with 1000thb. some great gentlemans culbs around now so we have a choice other than the winchester. great eating with frasers and other western options available now. been out of jomtien 6 months. back next month.

I lived in Patts for some 7+ years left 9/10 years ago.

When I was there I always used a M/C. Wouldn't do that now.

Moved to the middle of Thailand.

I do venture back once or twice every year to visit friends. 

Has it improved over that time yes. If you can put up living in a concrete jungle.

Shopping yes many new restaurants and western foods available. But at a price, at times over twice what I pay where I now live. Not going down the cost of a beer road.

Has it gone down hill. Another yes.

Traffic is now at an all time high nowhere to park. Arrive leave your car in the Hotel and go everywhere by B/Bus. Not a bad thing if your on the Bus route.

The main things I don't like is the dirt is still with us. Example after two days my car is covered in grime. After 3 days I start to have chest problems.

Crime has increased (you only have to look at the Patt News) I now don't feel very safe. Years ago I could walk everywhere without a second look now I take care.

This goes for Patts and Jomtien Although you can normally find somewhere to park there.

Has it improved enough to entice me back, not on your life. Given the choice of Patts or UK would plumb for UK, must tell you something.

Summery, the good points have not overtaken the bad ones enough. More infrastructure needs to be put in place. Crime needs to be addressed, finish some of the building work, that would be a nice start.     

30 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Has it improved enough to entice me back, not on your life. Given the choice of Patts or UK would plumb for UK, must tell you something.

Sorry dont think anyone would give up Jomtien / Pattaya Thailand for the uk because of what you have stated. 

But to leave for many other other reasons,  yes. :wai2:

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Everything to do with services is better and everything to do with people is worse.

Robots servicing you, too?

It was just a matter of time.  

How's the orgasmatron?  I haven't been able to find one to try yet.

30 minutes ago, impulse said:

Robots servicing you, too?

It was just a matter of time.  

How's the orgasmatron?  I haven't been able to find one to try yet.

Here you go  :wai2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orgasmatron-The-Ultimate-Head-Massager-/191965326193?hash=item2cb2066b71:m:mTw6h9gp6hSz_g8tiQIZXvg

Or there are many versions down Soi 6,  but these are coin and note operated

Have fun,   trying all models. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

have only done 8 years. water quality down, i dont swim in the ocean any more. immigration soi 5 is very good now. value for money excellent. rents ahave not gone up, which means in real terms they have gone down. beers still 60thb and girls still happy with 1000thb. some great gentlemans culbs around now so we have a choice other than the winchester. great eating with frasers and other western options available now. been out of jomtien 6 months. back next month.

OMG that's a 100% increase in takeaway costs since the early century. Pattaya is doomed for sure.

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

I believe the winchester is closed.  Drove by the other day and it seemed empty.  Shops closing all over the place.  Tukcom was a ghost town yesterday at 5PM.  Very few people there and many shops gone.

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

The recent busy season between November 2015 and February 2016 was very bad for traffic pollution. The worse I can remember.  The Chinese Tour buses have caused traffic and pollution problems.

Hardly seeing any now that OA Transport has been shut down.  But seen many that look recently painted with no real markings on them.  Hmm....

26 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I believe the winchester is closed.  Drove by the other day and it seemed empty.  Shops closing all over the place.  Tukcom was a ghost town yesterday at 5PM.  Very few people there and many shops gone.

I live in a small Thai city. Same thing is happening there. Loads of small shops and restaurants closed. No tourists, so nothing to do with the number of visitors.

35 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

winchester has been up for sale for over a year for about 300 000USD. guess the guy gave up. used to go there every tuesday for the free barbie. girls were a bit long in the tooth but they gave good service. wont be long till it is open again, always another smuck wanting to have a bar in pattaya.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Today Tukcom was the same as you describe. Around 2 pm, having hit four floors, nothing but emptiness. Few customers and now fewer occupied shops. 

From 12:30 pm at Tukcom, I went to Benjamit (maybe 6 tables occupied), Central Festival Central Market (very light customer traffic), Big C Extra supermarket (very light), HomePro (virtually empty). I always fear the run up Soi Yume to the u-turn (hate Sukumvit) after 3 pm. Today, completely unfettered headway for my return to the Darkside, except on southbound Suk, of course. 

Was great for shopping and relaxing. But yes, I voted Decreasing quality of life after 12 years of visiting/living in Pattaya.

Archived