Quality of Life in Pattaya-Jomtien: Increasing or Decreasing

Awohalitsiktoli

Quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien over the past ten years: increasing or decreasing?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Given the obvious fact that not all development has been positive or negative, has the overall quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien increased or decreased over the past ten years?

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah Tukcom is sad.

What do you think will happen to it?

The real estate there is getting more interesting.

Nearby towards Friendship they're building a very large hotel.

Doesn't that indicate a tourism based upgrade? 

The Tukcom building itself is rather decrepit.

Time for a reboot? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO - and 50 years of experience Pattaya has gone downhill every decade. It is now so overbuilt that it resembles a Western city but with dirty sea water.  The sheer number of tourists that have come have caused a very surly type behavior amongst many Thais. The prices of basic staples are too high and add in the traffic and pollution- you have a place that I would no longer want to live in.  The entertainment districts are losing customers by the hour because they are just no fun. Robotic girls watch  TV or cell phones and just not into anything but themselves. The Western tourists are going to be replaced by Chinese, indians and middle class Thais which is already changing Pattaya- the businesses with a future will be Asian restaurants and some Pubs and malls. The other entertainment is doomed to extinction. Once the change takes place- Pattaya maybe cleaned up because the Thais will demand it. The Western tourists will have moved on to other destinations.

41 minutes ago, DSJPC said:

does the QOL ever increase anywhere in the world??

Yes. Places that maintain a balance between the environment and development. When you have corruption and unbridled greed at play, quality of life does not improve....other than for those who take the money and run.

We aren't talking about adequate homes and environment for the locals. This is just about trying to make as much money as is possible, with little regard for the environment.

That's not to say that living in Pattaya/Jomtien is totally unpleasant.

You can rent an apartment for next to nothing now, because of the glut of property. But then the buyers of the property suffer financially..

Plus living close to the sea has it benefits.

But with the cheap prices you can get some undesirable neighbours.

Worse still, there is hardly a pool of desirable partners from which to choose. Many people living there are more than desperate for a long term partner.

I also don't consider living in tower blocks with thousands of units within, a contribution to the quality of life in the area.

But hey, now everyone can afford their 32 sq. m. of air surrounded by a concrete shell in Pattaya and go to the mall, so it's all going swimmingly.

I wonder what happened to the Chinese buyer who was supposedly buying fifty five units in order to service tour groups.

Do you think they had the locals quality of life in mind?

The Russians propped it up for a while because living in Pattaya was often a step up from their lives in Siberia and beyond, living in tower blocks anyway.

But for people who already have a decent quality of life, Pattaya is sinking to new lows.

But with all that, it is what it is. If they can clean up the beach road of much of it's detritus; the drug dealers and ladyboys etc and make it a place that all kinds of tourists can relax day and night, that might go some way to improving the quality of life in Pattaya.

6 hours ago, DSJPC said:

does the QOL ever increase anywhere in the world??

That is an excellent question with no easy answer.  IMHO, development and associated quality of life passes through three phases:  1) underdeveloped (quality of life not optimal), 2) neither underdeveloped nor overdeveloped (quality of life optimal), and 3) overdeveloped (quality of life not optimal).  Yes, bit of a gross generalization but I think there is some truth to this.  The "cancer cell mantra" that "all growth is good" seems to move us from phase 2 to phase 3.  The lack of proper development planning obviously plays an important role, coupled with our insane and unsustainable desire to create endless copies of ourselves.  I think we are in the third phase in Pattaya-Jomtien. 

22 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Sorry dont think anyone would give up Jomtien / Pattaya Thailand for the uk because of what you have stated. 

But to leave for many other other reasons,  yes. :wai2:

So you think your safety isn't worth a bean.

Just look at the Pattaya news today (any day) and you will see yet another dose of muggings, robberies, ETC.

Then again you could be living in the it wont happen to me world.  

One of the reasons I left. 

Two of my friends in a spate of a month were mugged one spent a week in ICU.

Best of luck. 

18 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

So you think your safety isn't worth a bean.

Just look at the Pattaya news today (any day) and you will see yet another dose of muggings, robberies, ETC.

Then again you could be living in the it wont happen to me world.  

One of the reasons I left. 

Two of my friends in a spate of a month were mugged one spent a week in ICU.

Best of luck. 

Ok

Would like to tell us the real reasons why you left ?

Because your not doing very well so far.

If your scared in this town,  you better go hide under the bed

the real world can be much worse,   if you go there. :wai2:

20 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Today Tukcom was the same as you describe. Around 2 pm, having hit four floors, nothing but emptiness. Few customers and now fewer occupied shops.

From 12:30 pm at Tukcom, I went to Benjamit (maybe 6 tables occupied), Central Festival Central Market (very light customer traffic), Big C Extra supermarket (very light), HomePro (virtually empty). I always fear the run up Soi Yume to the u-turn (hate Sukumvit) after 3 pm. Today, completely unfettered headway for my return to the Darkside, except on southbound Suk, of course.

Was great for shopping and relaxing. But yes, I voted Decreasing quality of life after 12 years of visiting/living in Pattaya.

I don't think that we can judge anything related to numbers in Pattaya in low season.

Also, mid day is not the time to be visiting malls to assess how busy they are at any time of year.

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah Tukcom is sad.

What do you think will happen to it?

The real estate there is getting more interesting.

Nearby towards Friendship they're building a very large hotel.

The Tukcom building itself is rather decrepit.

Time for a reboot?

Hardly. That seems more like too much money wanting a place to spend it. Same problem as in most western countries. It's just not in the lower middle class pockets where it would do far more to stimulate the economy.

If any place doesn't need more hotels it is Pattaya. The infrastructure can't handle them even now, and water is a problem.

Wouldn't be so bad if they built it near Sukhumvit.

It used to be you could go Pattaya, jomtien and make it back out alive. Unfortunately according to many regular posters there is 80% chance you may get brutally assaulted in broad day light just walking along beach road... It's all about over :-(

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Ok

Would like to tell us the real reasons why you left ?

Because your not doing very well so far.

If your scared in this town,  you better go hide under the bed

the real world can be much worse,   if you go there. :wai2:

How much of a reason do you want?

I would have thought that having two friend mugged one having to spend a week in ICU followed by several in a normal ward for minding their own business would have been enough.

Sir if you don't think so you must be living in some sort illusion that Patts is the best thing since sliced bread. Suggest you get out a little open your eyes, maybe you'll find that there is life outside of a tourist town.

Tip give beach road a big miss at night.

Decreased over the last 20 years but the last 10 years has been terrible. The place use to be really safe and almost no ladyboys around to rob people. You could get drunk and fall asleep on a bench on walking street and no one would even bother you. It was a happy friendly small sea town with lovely girls and cheap hotels, restaurants and bars. The entire feel of the place has really changed. If you have only been visiting or living there for 10 years you really have no idea on what was lost.

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I would have thought that having two friend mugged one having to spend a week in ICU followed by several in a normal ward for minding their own business would have been enough.

Sir if you don't think so you must be living in some sort illusion that Patts is the best thing since sliced bread. Suggest you get out a little open your eyes, maybe you'll find that there is life outside of a tourist town.

Ok

Still waiting for you  to tell us the real reasons why you left.

i some how dont feel you left because someone else got a kicking in town.

that's  just absurd. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, ttthailand said:

Decreased over the last 20 years but the last 10 years has been terrible. The place use to be really safe and almost no ladyboys around to rob people. You could get drunk and fall asleep on a bench on walking street and no one would even bother you. It was a happy friendly small sea town with lovely girls and cheap hotels, restaurants and bars. The entire feel of the place has really changed. If you have only been visiting or living there for 10 years you really have no idea on what was lost.

2 hours ago, ttthailand said:

almost no ladyboys around

SERIOUSLY????????

As long ago as 1996 as I made my way back in the dawn after a night in the discos, I had to evade the ladyboys waiting on Beach Rd in the area by the pier ( the original, not Bali Hi ). Lots of them around then.

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Before 2 friends mugged makes Pattaya too dangerous we need to know where and what time of day it happened. Big difference between mid day on the walkway and 3 am near Sunee Plaza.

I think when people who are living in Pattaya year-round are weighing the pros and cons of whether the quality of life is going up or down, I doubt many will put much weight  in the fact that you used to be able to 'get drunk and fall sleep on a bench'  and nobody would bother you.  Not sure you'd want to try that anywhere these days. 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I think when people who are living in Pattaya year-round are weighing the pros and cons of whether the quality of life is going up or down, I doubt many will put much weight  in the fact that you used to be able to 'get drunk and fall sleep on a bench'  and nobody would bother you.  Not sure you'd want to try that anywhere these days. 

Of course they would as it is a "proxy measure of crime."  The main point is that crime has increased over time.  The beachfronts in Pattaya-Jomtien, in particular, seem to be a haven for criminals, especially late at night. Am I shaking in my moccasins?  No, but rising crime is not something that anybody wants to see, and it does have a very negative impact on quality of life.  Whether crime is increasing or decreasing outside of Pattaya-Jomtien or outside of Thailand is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

The original comment, not mine, stated that Pattaya's quality of life was going down because one could no longer get drunk and pass out on a bench safely.  So, I don't think I am hijacking anything when I give my opinion on what I felt was a rather ridiculous measure of quality of life.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Before 2 friends mugged makes Pattaya too dangerous we need to know where and what time of day it happened. Big difference between mid day on the walkway and 3 am near Sunee Plaza.

So now you we love Pattaya boys want the full works.

Right the first was on beach road just down from the police station, he was lucky? as only ended up with a cracked eye socket + several swellings.

Second the ICU one was in Soi19 Soi Buakhoe as he walked to 3rd road. He was hit with some sort of objet culminating with swelling on the brain. He was treated in Pattaya Memorial hospital.

On both occasions it was prior to midnight. Total amount obtained by the nice guy's for both occasions was less than 4,000bt

Did the Police want to know well NO they didn't even take notes when some of us went there to report same, let alone Rush to the Hospital to check. Just another idiot that if he wasn't there it wouldn't have happened, the excuse they always seem to use.

Mr Chang if you don't think your family's safety is important that's up to you. I happen to think the opposite.  

N/B as stated before I do visit Patts to see friends but my Thai wife refuses to go. Must tell you something.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Mr Chang if you don't think your family's safety is important that's up to you. I happen to think the opposite.  

N/B as stated before I do visit Patts to see friends but my Thai wife refuses to go. Must tell you something.

My family are fine in this town

Nice your trying to twist what you said around .

Please tell the truth.

I wounder why your wife does not want to come back to pattaya ?

3 hours ago, onemorechang said:

My family are fine in this town

Nice your trying to twist what you said around .

Please tell the truth.

I wounder why your wife does not want to come back to pattaya ?

Can only assume you don't understand English.

I haven't change/twisted anything around I sad that I left Patts because my family & I didn't feel safe there anymore. (That was 10+ years ago) Now according to some peeps on TV it has got even worse.

You were the one that demanded a different excuse as if ones needs one.

Safety is Safety in all walks of life.

My Wife won't come there because in her words she's scared of the place. No other reason even though your trying to imply there is one.

Suggest you or anyone go back and reread my posts, leave the Chang alone then maybe they might make sense. Doubt it though as you do seem to be a person that cant be wrong.

39 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I haven't change/twisted anything around I sad that I left Patts because my family & I didn't feel safe there anymore. (That was 10+ years ago) Now according to some peeps on TV it has got even worse.

My Wife won't come there because in her words she's scared of the place. No other reason even though your trying to imply there is one.

Suggest you or anyone go back and reread my posts, leave the Chang alone then maybe they might make sense. Doubt it though as you do seem to be a person that cant be wrong.

You never mentioned your family until the last two posts.

That's twisting it

Your the one that has come from afar to  bag  Pattaya.

You did not leave pattaya because you felt unsafe.

That's a pork pie. :bah:

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Some of the reasons I think people leave pattaya /Jomtien 

Please add any more if i  have forgot some.:thumbsup:

Financial,    run out or limited funds.

Got scammed,  burned , to ashamed and skint,

time to go home.

Bad health,  insurance companies wont touch you.

Serious injury.

Free or better education in there home country for there children.

Married a Bar Girl,   now she wants you out of this town and near her family.

Married a bar girl,   and the man wishes to pretend she was not a bar girl

And start a fresh life else ware. ( nothing wrong with that )

Broken hearted

Job offer out of town .

Threats after  some altercation with Thai guys.

Had a good kicking for mouthing off at Thai guys.

Welfare hand outs have been stopped in country of origin.

Alcoholic,   going home to die with family and friends,   may be get a transplant.

Tired of chasing girls / Boys, and want a quite life now .

To scared to live in pattaya/ Jomtien   Nah.

Pattaya  / jomtien is ok to live in,   its not perfect,   but its fine.

Long live pattaya and Jomtien.

7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

So now you we love Pattaya boys want the full works.

Right the first was on beach road just down from the police station, he was lucky? as only ended up with a cracked eye socket + several swellings.

Second the ICU one was in Soi19 Soi Buakhoe as he walked to 3rd road. He was hit with some sort of objet culminating with swelling on the brain. He was treated in Pattaya Memorial hospital.

On both occasions it was prior to midnight. Total amount obtained by the nice guy's for both occasions was less than 4,000bt

Did the Police want to know well NO they didn't even take notes when some of us went there to report same, let alone Rush to the Hospital to check. Just another idiot that if he wasn't there it wouldn't have happened, the excuse they always seem to use.

On 17 กันยายน 2559 at 6:04 PM, newnative said:

Appreciate the fuller explanation.

One has always had to walk around Pattaya with senses on full alert, but most peril comes from thinking with the small head there.

Archived