One month given to ease traffic in Bangkok

webfact

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Disagree. It was much worse in the 90's and the 00's.

Having spent 2 hours in a bus trying to make a right-hand turn at the Vibhavadi-Rangsit/Paholyothin junction in 1989, I have to disagree - it was much worse in the '80s!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is they have 21 police precincts with jurisdiction over their own territory, as well as City Hall, Transport Ministry, Land Transport Department, Highways Department, Rural Highways Department, Harbour Department, Public Works Department and the Army ALL tasked with alleviating congestion - none of these agencies have any kind of coordination (let alone expertise).

How often does one get directed left at an intersection, only to hit a wall of traffic because the cop at the next intersection is from a different precinct therefore has different (for want of a better term) procedures? And he can't do anything because there next precinct up the road is doing something else. 21 police precincts with jurisdiction over their own territory! No wonder the traffic is <deleted>!

What they need is the political will to create one agency, which is tasked with asking for international assistance, and then the desire to actually implement the experts' recommendations.

Edited by jamesbrock

12 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I remember a BBC report when New Delhi tried the Odd and Even system and apart from the obvious initial confusion things weren't improved by the list of people who were exempt starting with politicians and officials.

Wonder what the list would look like here ? 

But.....the "don't you know who I am?" brigade would be out in their SUVs in their thousands!!

In the late 90's early 00's Paris had an odds even in place, it sort of worked, but many people ignored it or had false plates. I don't know what happened too it and cant find reference too it. They tried it again recently and scrapped it after just one day. Other counties have tried it and stopped it. Computer control certainly helps. Strict enforcement of parking restrictions does too. In London they have red routes where any for of stopping is banned at specific times of the day. It all helps. There is no one solution.

The problem is they have 21 police precincts with jurisdiction over their own territory, as well as City Hall, Transport Ministry, Land Transport Department, Highways Department, Rural Highways Department, Harbour Department, Public Works Department and the Army ALL tasked with alleviating congestion - none of these agencies have any kind of coordination (let alone expertise).

How often does one get directed left at an intersection, only to hit a wall of traffic because the cop at the next intersection is from a different precinct therefore has different (for want of a better term) procedures? And he can't do anything because there next precinct up the road is doing something else. 21 police precincts with jurisdiction over their own territory! No wonder the traffic is !

What they need is the political will to create one agency, which is tasked with asking for international assistance, and then the desire to actually implement the experts' recommendations.

Well, as I said before, the Japanese did the traffic research and came up with a proposal, designed a system, installed it, and then.......all went quiet.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

rthe fact that everyone in the picture is in uniform gives you some idea about the suitablility of these people to tackle the job in the first place....talk about a mass Dunning Kruger effect!

Edited by cumgranosalum