Arrested! Young thief stealing tourists' phones at Bangkok airport

webfact

Arrested! Young thief stealing tourists' phones at Bangkok airport

a4.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi police have announced the arrest of a 23 year old man for stealing many phones from foreign tourists at the airport.

Kamonthat Singsopha told police that he had run out of money for rent and to pay for his last semester at university. So he went to sleep at the airport and while he was there started stealing phones from the charging station on the first and third floors, reported Thairath.

He would choose tourists who were charging their devices and taking a nap. He would pretend to charge his own but made off with theirs and took them to Lat Krabang where he would sell them to shops.

He was caught at the entrance to the Airport Link train on Tuesday morning after police studied CCTV. There had been many complaints from tourists about theft of phones recently.

He told police that he needed to get money to pay for his final term so that he could get the necessary documents to start working as a manager at a hardware shop in Bang Plee.

He had been a manager at the store for just two weeks when he was arrested. He admitted to many thefts and was found in possession of six devices.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-15

44 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

What would round out this story is the arrest of the shop owners, the fences who bought the phones. 

Yes indeed.:thumbsup: A visit by the police and suspect, to the phone shops buying stolen phones, and possibly identifying such, would be a good start.

3 hours ago, Pomthai said:

Glad the thieving git was caught.

Also university to work in a hardware store!?

Yes, he wanted to be a manager and not a shelf stacker and floor sales person who follows people around like a lost puppy and when asked if the store has a certain item, can say with a clear conscience " Mai mee., No have.:wai:"

5 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Yes, he wanted to be a manager and not a shelf stacker and floor sales person who follows people around like a lost puppy and when asked if the store has a certain item, can say with a clear conscience " Mai mee., No have.:wai:"

I won't even speak to them at all, mai mee is their standard answer and before you know it there are 8-10 of them around you.

Also my wife refuses to go to Homepro since all the salesidiots come to talk to her. 

If i go there i enter their product-alleys from the backside since they always stand infront of it in groups. Before they  noticed me i allready found what i'm looking for or they don't have it at all.

Last week i needed sensor-lightbulbs who work automatic...mai mee , mai mee...i ignored their advices and found them from Panasonic and another brand. Those guys are a real pain in the butt and have no clue at all what they're selling.

17 minutes ago, xraybaby said:

You snooze, you lose.

20 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Anyone who leaves their phones unattended and takes a nap deserves to lose it.

I miss common sense.  :coffee1:

Ah yes.  And where would we be without the obligatory reminder that it's always the victim's fault?

24 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Anyone who leaves their phones unattended and takes a nap deserves to lose it.

I miss common sense.  :coffee1:

Tell that to the japanese.

In Tokyo you book a table in a restaurant by putting your phone on the table while you go to the buffet/toilet...NOBODY will touch it, guaranteed. Boy do i miss the japanese, next visarun will be Japan again!

4 hours ago, Thian said:

I won't even speak to them at all, mai mee is their standard answer and before you know it there are 8-10 of them around you.

Also my wife refuses to go to Homepro since all the salesidiots come to talk to her. 

If i go there i enter their product-alleys from the backside since they always stand infront of it in groups. Before they  noticed me i allready found what i'm looking for or they don't have it at all.

Last week i needed sensor-lightbulbs who work automatic...mai mee , mai mee...i ignored their advices and found them from Panasonic and another brand. Those guys are a real pain in the butt and have no clue at all what they're selling.

That's mostly the case for any shop. It's rare to find a local who really knows what he/she is selling. They are out there, but it's sort of like trying to find a unicorn. 

I am in need of a watch with an Altimeter. I wasted a lot of time last week looking for one, and not ONE person in any shop I went to knew what it was. They had some in stock I would find after looking around, then I would point it out and ask if they had others - to save me the time of looking at every single watch.  "Mai mee" was the answer,  when 5 minutes before they didn't know what an Altimeter was. English or Thai, the answer is always the same. 

Still didn't get one, all the shops had were the same brand of solar watches that were severely overpriced. 

Having to hire Thais has stopped me from opening businesses here. Your success depends on them. Yea, you could babysit them all day,  but that defeats the purpose. Kudos to any business that has survived long term here, you have my utmost respect.