Thais Deporting More Than 100 Daily

geovalin

On an average day, more than 100 Cambodians are sent back from Thailand through the Poipet International Checkpoint amid the Thai government’s crackdown on undocumented foreign workers, according to the Banteay Meanchey provincial governor yesterday.   “Every day, the Thai authorities send back over 100 Cambodians through the Poipet International Checkpoint. And we have a committee to receive them and send them to their respective hometowns,” Suon Bavor, the governor of Banteay Meanchey province, said.

Mr. Bavor said they were sent back for various reasons, but for violating Thais laws one way or another. “Some of them went to work illegally in Thailand, while some applied to work during the day and come back in the evening, but they refused to do so,” he explained.

“Some applied to work legally, but they traveled beyond the limited territory,” he added, referring further questions to Poipet City governor Ngor Meng Chroun, who did not reply to a request for comment. Soum Chankea, a provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said yesterday that Thai authorities had arrested and later released 12 Cambodians selling pickled mangoes and fried crickets on illegal immigration charges, however he said the authorities were really worried the vendors were taking business away from their Thai counterparts.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/29765/thais-deporting-more-than-100-daily/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 15/09

1 hour ago, xineohp said:

This is plainly an indictment as to just how porous the borders are. Perhaps aided with a little assistance from corrupt officialdom.

Bite your tongue. Corrupt Officialdom what next? After living here for 6 years you have destroyed my image of those that "Protect and Serve" Oh dear.

3 hours ago, xineohp said:

This is plainly an indictment as to just how porous the borders are. Perhaps aided with a little assistance from corrupt officialdom.

Actually I think it is above all an indictment of the immigration system and procedures for workers from neighboring countries and the total mismatch between the needs of the marketplace and the policies in place.

Thailand needs and utterly depends upon low-skilled workers from Cambodia and Myanmar and they are here in huge numbers for that reason - because there is a demand for them.  But the policies and procedures for them to work here legally are excessively difficult, time-consuming and expensive to comply with.

I have 1 Cambodian household staff. I went through the process of making it legal. Took me 6 months, huge amounts of my time (even with the services of a broker) and cost about 25,000 baht  inclusive of the health insurance etc.

This for someone making only 8,000 baht a month (plus housing), i.e. cost about 3 months salary to do. I paid it myself because no way was I, as a foreigner, going to circumvent the law - and I don't want the worker at risk either.

But how many Thai employers would pay that kind of money for a low wage worker? Very, very few.

Believe me, if you knew what it takes to do things by the book, you'd readily understand why there are so many illegal workers here.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Actually I think it is above all an indictment of the immigration system and procedures for workers from neighboring countries and the total mismatch between the needs of the marketplace and the policies in place.

Thailand needs and utterly depends upon low-skilled workers from Cambodia and Myanmar and they are here in huge numbers for that reason - because there is a demand for them.  But the policies and procedures for them to work here legally are excessively difficult, time-consuming and expensive to comply with.

I have 1 Cambodian household staff. I went through the process of making it legal. Took me 6 months, huge amounts of my time (even with the services of a broker) and cost about 25,000 baht  inclusive of the health insurance etc.

This for someone making only 8,000 baht a month (plus housing), i.e. cost about 3 months salary to do. I paid it myself because no way was I, as a foreigner, going to circumvent the law - and I don't want the worker at risk either.

But how many Thai employers would pay that kind of money for a low wage worker? Very, very few.

Believe me, if you knew what it takes to do things by the book, you'd readily understand why there are so many illegal workers here.

You know what it takes for a visa for any foreigner, and then constant reporting responsibilities.