Thailand Post Tracking says "Delivery Successful" but I'm not getting my mail! Is this common in Chiang Mai?

kidizen

This is the second time this has happened in the last week.  Important letter from the British Embassy Bangkok mailed EMS on Sep 2, Thailand Post Tracking says delivered on Sep 3.  I didn't get it until Sep 13.  Just now I was expecting another package that Thailand Post Tracking says "Delivery Successful", but it's not here :(.  I live in a condo apartment building on Huay Kaew, the mail goes to the reception.  I'm quite sure the people downstairs at the reception are telling the truth though they don't speak a lot of English.  I now suspect that perhaps the mailman isn't doing his job and hasn't delivered the package yet. I've had a few packages delivered the few weeks before and there wasn't any hold up.  My question is, would the mailman do a thing like that? Is this typical in Chiang Mai?

I clicked on the Recipient Name link, there is a name in Thai but no signature.  This is a good clue though and I'm getting warmer. It looks like the mailman delivered it to one of the offices at the street front instead of the condo in spite of the condo name being clearly on the address.  There is no one there now but we'll see if the package is there tomorrow.  Thanks for the clue.

Edited by kidizen
update

26 minutes ago, kidizen said:

I clicked on the Recipient Name link, there is a name in Thai but no signature.  I will confront the people downstairs again and show them the evidence.  There is no one there right now. I was wondering whether the Thailand postal service is generally efficient in Chiang Mai and this is something exceptional.

Appears to be nothing to do with the postal service?

I will hopefully get to the bottom of this tomorrow morning.  It still looks to me that the mailman is being lazy and not doing his job properly and not taking the condo mail to the condo building. I'm certainly making the "juristic" people at the condo know about this problem and hope that the mailman will do his job better.

In more than 20 years living in Saraphi I received approximately, let's say, at least 60 parcels from abroad, lots of them of no small value. 90% by regular mail.
Not a single one disappeared, some came a little bit - up to 2 weeks - later than expected due to customs checks.
I have a high opinion of the Thai Postal Services.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:04 AM, Dante99 said:

Well Kidzi did you get it? How?

I got the package the next morning.  It was delivered to some shop/office at the street front with the same street number.The condo is new and set back from the street.  Someone signed for it - they shouldn't have!  If it wasn't for the tracking info, with the name of the person who signed for the package, I would be none the wiser.  Same thing happened a week earlier with an important EMS letter from Bangkok, someone signed for it but didn't give me the letter until 11 days later.  TIT!  I've learned to be more vigilant following up and tracking down mail.  At least I know where to look if the expected package or letter is late.   Thank you all for chipping in!

Agree with opalred. Over the past four years I have had countless greetings cards posted from UK, virtually none have arrived at my house. Out of frustration I have now agreed with my family to not send stuff be it birthday, christmas or whatever.

And before anyone says ahhh, how do you know its Thailand not UK....well, over the past couple of months, my son has twice posted something I wanted ( car stickers for my football team!) and used UK tracking service which reports back upto departure from UK shores. Both items left UK, neither arrived with me, and in both cases they were small normal envelopes, nothing "gifty" at all.

Sad to say, we re foreigners here, and therefore I suspect "fair game" for the possibility of something of value. If I see a Thai vehicle with stickers on it from my little UK football team, I ll pursue at great speed!

I've had absolutely no problems in receiving packages from the U.S. send via U.S. priority mail to my condo.  Probably 40 or 50 over the years.  The condo staff signs for it, logs receipt onto a sheet, keeps the items in a secure room, puts a notice in your mailbox and you have to sign for the item when you pick it up.  

We lived in another condo building for a time and had problems, in that condo packages were just tossed on a table in the office upon delivery and all the residents (or anyone who came into the office, for that matter) had access to them.  Plus, that condo staff didn't give you any notice you'd received a package, so if you didn't happen to go into the office, your package could sit around with anyone having the ability to take it.  It was no wonder that packages went missing.

I don't think the fault lies with the Thai Postal system.  They're brilliant from what I've seen.  I think the fault lies with what happens once an item leaves their control.  

38 minutes ago, neilrob said:

I agree with Nancy. My experience with the Thai postal service has been positive. The tracking system is excellent---I wish the USPS tracking system were as good.

Yes but you cant track things supposed to be arriving from overseas, its those that go missing, not stuff within Thailand!

5 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Yes but you cant track things supposed to be arriving from overseas, its those that go missing, not stuff within Thailand!

Of course you can track items arriving from overseas. Everything I ordered from overseas, and which is sent with a tracking number, can be tracked from the moment it enters Thai soil.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Of course you can track items arriving from overseas. Everything I ordered from overseas, and which is sent with a tracking number, can be tracked from the moment it enters Thai soil.

Sighs! Did you read my post, I m not talking about "orders" from overseas, such as Amazon, I m talking about normal day to day mail posted by family in UK and not being delivered here! You dont do "tracking" for normal inexpensive stuff like christmas cards etc, its those that dont arrive. Please pay attention!

It is you who should read your own posts and pay attention, EL159. You stated "but you cant track things supposed to be arriving from overseas". You said nothing thing about them not having tracking numbers. Surely it is completely obvious that items without tracking numbers, sent from overseas or from within Thailand, cannot be tracked---it is not worth making such a statement.

Edited by neilrob

7 hours ago, EL159 said:

Sighs! Did you read my post, I m not talking about "orders" from overseas, such as Amazon, I m talking about normal day to day mail posted by family in UK and not being delivered here! You dont do "tracking" for normal inexpensive stuff like christmas cards etc, its those that dont arrive. Please pay attention!

My eyes are not that good anymore, but this is what I read in YOUR post, so maybe you should pay more attention to your own posts.

" my son has twice posted something I wanted ( car stickers for my football team!) and used UK tracking service which reports back upto departure from UK shores. Both items left UK, neither arrived with me , and in both cases they were small normal envelopes, nothing "gifty" at all "

Every Royal Mail post that has tracking can be tracked on the Thai post website from the moment it arrives on Thai soil, and that has nothing to do with the size, content or who sent the item. It is Royal Mail that lets you down, because they only track till UK shores, but Thai post takes over when it arrives at Thailand shores.

Some people just can't help themselves.

Edited by Anthony5