Foreigners arrested in raid on Nana 'Ethiopian Restaurant'

snoop1130

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I quite like Ethiopian restaurants.Their  coffee is usually kick ass. 

This place however would seem to have held other attractions.  

I was a coffee roaster in my earlier days, BP, and the Ethiopian bean was among the best the world had to offer. If roasted (and of course, brewed) correctly, you wouldn't need to put a damn thing in it either. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JayBeeee said:

Advised by whom? TVF expert commenters?

Or does the Police Help Dept. have an account here?

Yes We Do Not Have To Carry A PASSPORT Everywhere.  Like I said this forum has repeat agreed with this.

If you don't agree please give us your source. I would be interested to know.

Why are you arguing about this it has been out there for a time and the issue is actually moot. 

19 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Keep on raiding their hangouts until they find another country to do their dirty work in.

These lowlifes spoil the scene for all of us.

Ha1 Ha!  I love the thought people worrying about "spoiling the scene" around Nana!.  When you are wading in the sewer there isn't too much you can spoil.  Although it does take out what was a good source of high quality cannabis at non rip off prices (or so I am told).

19 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Keep on raiding their hangouts until they find another country to do their dirty work in.

These lowlifes spoil the scene for all of us.

What "scene" is that?

Propping up the sex trade while pretending that you're somehow better than other foreigners?

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The whole of the nana Area is a hot bed and a known center for every shady activates

that you can imagine is going on there,

I have known the place for 30 years now, and every year it's get worse and worse, especially

since African and Arabs people has discovered the place 20 years or so,

IMHO, a permanent police post should be stationed there  checking

the coming and going in that cesspool of a place....

Yeah they should round up all the Western paedos, depraved old men and junkie degenerates buying baking soda from street dealers

I understand that the Arabs were drawn to the area initially because of the proximity to their favourite hospital.  And yes that was over twenty years ago.  A bit like Pattaya attracted all the farangs because of it's proximity to  their favourite pastime, attractive young hookers.

We all know the quote

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" OW.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The whole of the nana Area is a hot bed and a known center for every shady activates

that you can imagine is going on there,

I have known the place for 30 years now, and every year it's get worse and worse, especially

since African and Arabs people has discovered the place 20 years or so,

IMHO, a permanent police post should be stationed there  checking

the coming and going in that cesspool of a place....

Why not just flatten the place to keep you happy....?

You can start a club called ''Super Duper farangs cleaning up Thailand''?

You start at one end with a mallet; The rest of the superior pillars of society can start at the other and you'll meet half way....you could even wear badges....or T shirts...

22 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I understand that the Arabs were drawn to the area initially because of the proximity to their favourite hospital.  And yes that was over twenty years ago.  A bit like Pattaya attracted all the farangs because of it's proximity to  their favourite pastime, attractive young hookers.

We all know the quote

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" OW.

Why did the entire place turn to sh!t?

17 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

Why did the entire place turn to sh!t?

It didn't turn to shit.  The Arabs were welcomed because they brought money and in Thailand money buys anything you want. In fact Thailand is as it is because that is how Thailand wants it to be.  As foreigners we have a choice to stay or go.

14 minutes ago, Olgabalonkabatova said:

If the police force me to carry my passport. They should pay all my costs if the criminals just stoles from me. 

Yes, and in Cloud Cuckoo Land that's exactly what would happen.

Here in Thailand, watch out, with a stolen passport, you might end up in immigration prison! 

cloud_cuckoo_land.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Olgabalonkabatova said:

If the police force me to carry my passport. They should pay all my costs if the criminals just stoles from me. 

Why stop there. How about assign a gofer to follow you around with a roll of toilet paper in case you can't wipe your backside??

19 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

6 storey entertainment establishment…..on soi 3…..hmmm…..it hjas been a while since I stomped through that area leaving a trail of destruction in my wake.

Pray, what building is this? Grace?

Couldn't think of any high rise 6-story building on Soi 3.

You must have same thoughts like me - GRACE HOTEL

Last time I was on Soi 3 was when I went to Bumrungrad Hospital and that was a few years ago.

9 minutes ago, swerver said:

Couldn't think of any high rise 6-story building on Soi 3.

You must have same thoughts like me - GRACE HOTEL

Last time I was on Soi 3 was when I went to Bumrungrad Hospital and that was a few years ago.

I don't think so.

I'm still confused. I think the place I went also had a cheap hotel in it, but that could have been a cover for the "massage" operation. The floor location of the restaurant sounds right, but I wasn't aware there were two of them on different floors. Hmm. 

The building, called Ornchira Fashion Backs, held an entertainment venue called “Ethiopian Restaurant” on the third and fifth floors, along with a pub, Middle Eastern-themed dance bar, massage parlor and restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, sahibji said:

with all the uncertainties and threats of terrorism it is better to be safe than sorry. i would carry at least a photocopy of my ID.

I carried photocopies of passport. All relevant pages were kept on me but I was STILL told that I should have carried my passport. These scum are a law unto themselves.

Anytime they need "teamoney", these raids will yield huge profits. Rule of law is a joke in Thailand. Chief of Immigration says there is no need to carry a passport. Individual cops say otherwise. How does one deal with this kind of abuse???

4 minutes ago, Jools said:

Anytime they need "teamoney", these raids will yield huge profits. Rule of law is a joke in Thailand. Chief of Immigration says there is no need to carry a passport. Individual cops say otherwise. How does one deal with this kind of abuse???

Abuse?? Really??

ok google reveals one ethoiphian restaurant at soi 3 but it's on the ground floor and i think around 2 stories high therefore there is another ethophian restaurant around. The building name does not show up on google or google maps in fact just typing in the first word brought me to scotland.

http://ethiopianrestaurantbangkok.weebly.com/location.html

30 minutes ago, Lampang2 said:

ปราม  forbid

ยา   medicine drug

เสพติด  narcotic

so how does the law against narcotic turns into Xenophobia ?

A word you use when something doesn't please you ?

Narcotics have NOTHING to do with passports and the need to carry them (or not).  Narcotics violators and those without passports were transported in the same cage to the police station. It is abuse. There is no other way to say it.

7 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

I think its the building where the only entrance is an elevator. 

Yes it is. Pretty different kind of vibe in there than I'm experienced with but everybody was friendly.  

The Ethiopean Restaurant (which is actually it's name) on Soi Africa is pretty good and kind of a normal restaurant atmosphere.   I hope it is still open.  I haven't been there in a couple of months.

One time when I was eating there an African man ran into the restaurant followed by two policeman and they cuffed and arrested him with minimal drama.  Strange.

Edited by ricklev

It's not abuse. Maybe you just have a low tolerance for anything that doesn't make sense to your Western programming.

Thailand doesn't have the same consistencies as the West. Things are shades of grey here. You knew that shit before you came. 

I've been here 8 years and, having lived in and around Asoke all that time, I've been stopped many times by police officers asking to see my passport. I've always presented a copy of the main page and the entry stamp.

Sent on my way with no questions

I'll never understand why some foreigners think the country ought to be run to make their lives as simple as possible and that anything which steps out of line with their narrow view of how things should be represents some kind of enormous affront to their high & mighty sense of personal freedom.

18 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Yes it is. Pretty different kind of vibe in there than I'm experienced with but everybody was friendly.  

The Ethiopean Restaurant (which is actually it's name) on Soi Africa is pretty good and kind of a normal restaurant atmosphere.   I hope it is still open.  I haven't been there in a couple of months.

One time when I was eating there an African man ran into the restaurant followed by two policeman and they cuffed and arrested him with minimal drama.  Strange.

Could you at least point out the location?

From what i understand after doing some searching there are 2 ethiophian restaurants located in bkk both in soi 3 of nana. One is called Habesha located right at the entracne to soi 3 behind nana plaza. There's the other one just simply called Ehtiphina resturant which i heard is the one located inside a building a hotel or like the report said some type of entertainment complex but oddly enough doesn't show up when you search it.